News & Discussion: Public Transport Contracts, Service & Policy

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
bits
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Public Transport Contracts, Service & Policy

#2041 Post by bits » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:08 am

The Android Buy and Go app is not available yet.
Certainly sounds like a massive improvement for casual users.
As has been said adding a metro card to your Apple/Google/Samsung/whatever digital wallet should also be made possible.

MT269
High Rise Poster!

#2042 Post by MT269 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:38 am

This makes me wonder if the actual physical card is still essential nowadays. The revenue officers/whoever don't give a rats whether or not you actually have a ticket. They only care about their pockets being replenished with $.

There should be an option to travel without a card.

Personally, I don't even understand the point of validating. The tracking chip installed in all humans by the US government should be able to be detected by the machine anyhow. With the appropriate amount deducted.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2043 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:06 pm

MT269 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:38 am
This makes me wonder if the actual physical card is still essential nowadays. The revenue officers/whoever don't give a rats whether or not you actually have a ticket. They only care about their pockets being replenished with $.

There should be an option to travel without a card.

Personally, I don't even understand the point of validating. The tracking chip installed in all humans by the US government should be able to be detected by the machine anyhow. With the appropriate amount deducted.
I agree, the cost of compliance is probably greater than the expiation notices collected.

But the part in bold, what?
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

MT269
High Rise Poster!

#2044 Post by MT269 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:32 am

Unfortunately, it takes an emotional toll when running afoul of the 'law', with some.

Re the chip, use your imagination. Or you could ask them directly. They're installed by a laser at birth, whilst the mother is looking away. Only takes a few seconds.

ChillyPhilly

#2045 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:07 am

MT269 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:32 am
Unfortunately, it takes an emotional toll when running afoul of the 'law', with some.

Re the chip, use your imagination. Or you could ask them directly. They're installed by a laser at birth, whilst the mother is looking away. Only takes a few seconds.
I'm concerned. There are no microchips.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

EBG

#2046 Post by EBG » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:29 am

One city that relentlessly pursues fare evaders is Melbourne. Transport police inspectors in packs of up to 4 rove the tram, train and bus networks. An example was on a short bus trip from Footscray to the CBD 4 inspectors bailed a young woman from Perth, who had only been in Melbourne for less than a week, and hounded her for the entire trip and then, in spite of her protestations, they fined her more than $100.

SBD

#2047 Post by SBD » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:03 pm

EBG wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:29 am
One city that relentlessly pursues fare evaders is Melbourne. Transport police inspectors in packs of up to 4 rove the tram, train and bus networks. An example was on a short bus trip from Footscray to the CBD 4 inspectors bailed a young woman from Perth, who had only been in Melbourne for less than a week, and hounded her for the entire trip and then, in spite of her protestations, they fined her more than $100.
"Welcome to Melbourne"

She'll take up walking or cycling, or move on to somewhere else!

PeFe

#2048 Post by PeFe » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:59 am

I too have had dealings with Melbourne transport inspectors.....I found them nothing more than courteous, just people doing a job.

On several occasions they have even warned people "to tap on now" saving the inspectors from paperwork and the passenger from a fine. But no you have passengers who are determined never to pay and they cop the consequences.

Public transport costs a lot of money, it is reasonable that passengers pay some proportion of that. Nothing in this world is for "free,"

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#2049 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:40 pm

Norman wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:10 pm
- Build a third track between Ovingham or Dudley Park and Grand Junction Road to allow express trains to pass.
If the Adelaide Hills rail bypass is built, that will free up one track between Dry Creek and the city. There's actually enough space to have two extra tracks, so there could be express tracks in both directions between Dry Creek and the city. Another one of ARTC's plans is to move the goods track from Dry Creek to Port Adelaide to over the salt pans. If that is built, then there would also be a spare track to Salisbury.

Express trains from Mawson Lakes to the city at 160 km/h would cut 13 minutes from the current travel time.

SBD

#2050 Post by SBD » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:30 pm

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:40 pm
Norman wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:10 pm
- Build a third track between Ovingham or Dudley Park and Grand Junction Road to allow express trains to pass.
If the Adelaide Hills rail bypass is built, that will free up one track between Dry Creek and the city. There's actually enough space to have two extra tracks, so there could be express tracks in both directions between Dry Creek and the city. Another one of ARTC's plans is to move the goods track from Dry Creek to Port Adelaide to over the salt pans. If that is built, then there would also be a spare track to Salisbury.

Express trains from Mawson Lakes to the city at 160 km/h would cut 13 minutes from the current travel time.
How many level crossings remain in that section that would need to be removed to support high speed? That would have to include there being no at-grade pedestrian crossings too.

I get:
  • Pedestrian south of North Adelaide station
  • Hawker Street, Bowden
  • Pedestrian at Avenue Road, Ovingham
  • Belford Avenue
  • Pedestrian crossings both ends of Dudley Park station
  • Pym Street (rad and pedestrian)
  • Islington Station north end
  • Kilburn
  • Cormack Road
  • Dr Creek station
Did I miss or invent any?

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#2051 Post by PD2/20 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:44 pm

SBD wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:30 pm

How many level crossings remain in that section that would need to be removed to support high speed? That would have to include there being no at-grade pedestrian crossings too.

I get:
  • Pedestrian south of North Adelaide station
  • Hawker Street, Bowden
  • Pedestrian at Avenue Road, Ovingham
  • Belford Avenue
  • Pedestrian crossings both ends of Dudley Park station
  • Pym Street (rad and pedestrian)
  • Islington Station north end
  • Kilburn
  • Cormack Road
  • Dr Creek station
Did I miss or invent any?