News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#4936 Post by rhino » Wed May 08, 2024 2:01 pm

abc wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 1:19 pm
the majority of people that use Adelaide Airport aren't wishing to travel into the CBD
But once in the CBD it is so much easier to get anywhere else by public transport. That is why other airports in major cities have convenient airport links to their CBDs. Whenever I fly to Melbourne or Sydney, I am heading out to the burbs, but I take the airport link to the city first.
cheers,
Rhino

Nort

#4937 Post by Nort » Wed May 08, 2024 5:10 pm

rhino wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 2:01 pm
abc wrote:
the majority of people that use Adelaide Airport aren't wishing to travel into the CBD
But once in the CBD it is so much easier to get anywhere else by public transport. That is why other airports in major cities have convenient airport links to their CBDs. Whenever I fly to Melbourne or Sydney, I am heading out to the burbs, but I take the airport link to the city first.
Public Transport is the one place where a lot of people seem to think induced demand doesn't exist. :lol:

abc
Legendary Member!

#4938 Post by abc » Wed May 08, 2024 7:20 pm

rhino wrote:
abc wrote:
I really don't think there's a business case for it in Adelaide, and nor do the government.

rubberman

#4939 Post by rubberman » Wed May 08, 2024 9:25 pm

abc wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 7:20 pm
rhino wrote:
abc wrote:
I really don't think there's a business case for it in Adelaide, and nor do the government.
Can we see the figures leading to your conclusion?

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#4940 Post by mattblack » Thu May 09, 2024 3:08 pm

Works about to kick off on the overpasses;

https://dit.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf ... -Works.pdf

abc
Legendary Member!

#4941 Post by abc » Thu May 09, 2024 5:48 pm

rubberman wrote:
Wed May 08, 2024 9:25 pm
abc wrote:
rhino wrote:

rubberman

#4942 Post by rubberman » Thu May 09, 2024 9:43 pm

abc wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 5:48 pm
rubberman wrote:
abc wrote:

What conclusion are you talking about? My whole point is that I have seen no official conclusion either way.

If either party had said: "Here's a report showing it's uneconomic, and therefore we'll drop it." Then I could look at it and draw a conclusion. Since they didn't, how could anyone tell?

All I know is they both had proposals before the 2018 election, then crickets. So, either they both put up something economic and are now abandoning it. Or they put up something uneconomic which they never intended to follow through on.

None of this is public as far as I know. That's why I was asking.

So. How did you conclude something about which the facts are apparently not public? Is there a report I missed?

abc
Legendary Member!

#4943 Post by abc » Fri May 10, 2024 2:01 am

rubberman wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 9:43 pm
abc wrote:
rubberman wrote:

What conclusion are you talking about? My whole point is that I have seen no official conclusion either way.

If either party had said: "Here's a report showing it's uneconomic, and therefore we'll drop it." Then I could look at it and draw a conclusion. Since they didn't, how could anyone tell?

All I know is they both had proposals before the 2018 election, then crickets. So, either they both put up something economic and are now abandoning it. Or they put up something uneconomic which they never intended to follow through on.

So. How did you conclude something about which the facts are apparently not public? Is there a report I missed?
I gave my opinion based on my experience. Adelaide Airport really isn't busy at all. It takes no time to get in and out of the place.
Most Adelaideans do not want to carry their luggage on public transport. They'd rather get an uber, cab or a lift from a loved one.

you seem to be quite a hostile individual

rubberman

#4944 Post by rubberman » Fri May 10, 2024 4:25 pm

abc wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 2:01 am
rubberman wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 9:43 pm
abc wrote:

I gave my opinion based on my experience. Adelaide Airport really isn't busy at all. It takes no time to get in and out of the place.
Most Adelaideans do not want to carry their luggage on public transport. They'd rather get an uber, cab or a lift from a loved one.

you seem to be quite a hostile individual
Hostile? Because I asked if you had a reason for a statement you made? That's an interesting take.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#4945 Post by I Follow PAFC » Fri May 10, 2024 8:16 pm

Downer proposes $500 million Adelaide Airport light rail link
The builder of Adelaide’s East End tram extension, the Downer group, has lodged an unsolicited bid with the State Government to build, fund and operate an airport link. A privately funded 6km light-rail line linking Adelaide Airport to the city, could cost up to $500 million.
https://www.constructionadvisor.com.au/ ... rail-link/
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

rubberman

#4946 Post by rubberman » Fri May 10, 2024 10:31 pm

I Follow PAFC wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 8:16 pm
The builder of Adelaide’s East End tram extension, the Downer group, has lodged an unsolicited bid with the State Government to build, fund and operate an airport link. A privately funded 6km light-rail line linking Adelaide Airport to the city, could cost up to $500 million.
The proposal mentions battery charging at stops, which sounds like the Newcastle set up. That's not ideal, sonce those stops aren't brief.

It also reported David Pisoni as banging on about the North Terrace "right turn". I thought that even the Liberals, in government, buried that idea. It's stupid. When in government, I'm sure they were informed of that by all and sundry. While it's possible, physically, traffic already banks up as far as Dequetteville Terrace now in the peak. I can only imagine the turmoil if a special tram only cycle was required at the King William Street and North Terrace intersection. Truly stupid in today's traffic.

RetroGamer87
High Rise Poster!

#4947 Post by RetroGamer87 » Sat May 11, 2024 11:18 am

rhino wrote:
abc wrote:
The only alternative would be to put the airport on a ring route and use that to transfer to other spokes without entering the hub. But that's never gong to happen for us.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4948 Post by SRW » Sat May 11, 2024 11:24 am

rubberman wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 10:31 pm
I Follow PAFC wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 8:16 pm
The proposal mentions battery charging at stops, which sounds like the Newcastle set up. That's not ideal, sonce those stops aren't brief.

It also reported David Pisoni as banging on about the North Terrace "right turn". I thought that even the Liberals, in government, buried that idea. It's stupid. When in government, I'm sure they were informed of that by all and sundry. While it's possible, physically, traffic already banks up as far as Dequetteville Terrace now in the peak. I can only imagine the turmoil if a special tram only cycle was required at the King William Street and North Terrace intersection. Truly stupid in today's traffic.
This website has ripped an Advertiser article from 2017. It's Weatherill era politics.
Keep Adelaide Weird

abc
Legendary Member!

#4949 Post by abc » Sat May 11, 2024 12:11 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 11:18 am
rhino wrote:
abc wrote:
The only alternative would be to put the airport on a ring route and use that to transfer to other spokes without entering the hub. But that's never gong to happen for us.
Its sounds like some here are trying to find a 'solution' to a problem that doesn't exist. Rail fanatics tend to do this a lot.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#4950 Post by NTRabbit » Sat May 18, 2024 3:03 am

rubberman wrote:
Fri May 10, 2024 10:31 pm
At the time I was told it was less about traffic, more about parliament house having to be buried behind a retaining wall in order to raise that corner of the intersection to the correct and level height, which was something they were told repeatedly before the election, but somehow only mattered after they won.