The Housing Crisis

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: The Housing Crisis

#91 Post by SBD » Sun May 12, 2024 8:17 am

abc wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 5:47 pm
SBD wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 2:57 pm
rev wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 1:39 pm

The issue with immigration/housing at the moment is with housing costs so high, including rent, housing stocks being so low that we are in a deficit, is that with all those issues making it extremely difficult for people already, do we really need to be adding hundreds of thousands more people to the mix?
There's obviously downward pressure on wages/salaries, think I posted it a while ago where it's gone backwards like 5-6%, the worst performing in all of the OECD.

The excessive amount of new arrivals might be helping the bottom lines of corporations but it's not helping everyday Australians, it's to our detriment.

The only place to point the blame at, for all the shit going on in Australia these days, be it the flood of new arrivals or the cost of living, is the government. Blame Canberra.
Anyone could tell you what Coles and Woolies are doing, that they're ripping people off across the board. But the government needs to waste time, and tax payers money holding an enquiry. What's the end result going to be of that? Nothing, they might get a slap on the wrist to show the voting public the government has "done something".

They are absolutely useless, utterly incompetent.

The government doesn't give a shit about the average Australian. It's not hard to figure that out.
Are they doing anything serious to actually bring the cost of living down? To make housing affordable again? No. They leave the people to suffer.
Are they doing anything to punish the corporations that are raping people on a daily basis, ie Coles & Woolies? No. They let their corporate mates do what they want and get away with it.

Who do they really give a shit about? Certainly not the Australian public.

The high salaries these incompetent clowns get and over the top pensions and pay rises, should be reduced drastically. We aren't getting our money's worth. The high incomes aren't attracting competent people to lead and govern, but corrupt shills interested in lining their own pockets and setting up their own luxurious retirements.

We are a stupid nation.
If the populace feels so ripped off by Coles and Woolworths, we should vote with our feet. We have Foodland, IGA, Drakes, Foodworks, Aldi and local butchers and greengrocers as alternatives and independent bottle shops instead of Dans and Liquorland. We don’t have to feed the beast of ASX listed corporations.

If we don’t like the politicians we elected last election, we should make better choices next year. Their superannuation pension deals are nowhere near as good as they used to be.
That's just not realistic. The majors monopolize the media and the overwhelming majority will always vote either red or blue.
That's clearly not always true - there were a bunch of "teal independents" elected two years ago. Collectively, we either agree to elect whichever party hack the backroom has pushed forward, agitate (which might mean joining) for the majors to choose better candidates, or vote for someone else (which requires a sensible alternate in our local electorate).

abc
Legendary Member!

#92 Post by abc » Sun May 12, 2024 11:19 am

SBD wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 8:17 am
abc wrote:
SBD wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 2:57 pm

If the populace feels so ripped off by Coles and Woolworths, we should vote with our feet. We have Foodland, IGA, Drakes, Foodworks, Aldi and local butchers and greengrocers as alternatives and independent bottle shops instead of Dans and Liquorland. We don’t have to feed the beast of ASX listed corporations.

If we don’t like the politicians we elected last election, we should make better choices next year. Their superannuation pension deals are nowhere near as good as they used to be.
That's just not realistic. The majors monopolize the media and the overwhelming majority will always vote either red or blue.
That's clearly not always true - there were a bunch of "teal independents" elected two years ago. Collectively, we either agree to elect whichever party hack the backroom has pushed forward, agitate (which might mean joining) for the majors to choose better candidates, or vote for someone else (which requires a sensible alternate in our local electorate).
The teal 'independents' will never hold government. They were only elected in elite areas as they're backed by big corporate money who stand to financially gain from the policies they advocate.

SBD

#93 Post by SBD » Sun May 12, 2024 10:29 pm

abc wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 11:19 am
SBD wrote:
abc wrote:

The teal 'independents' will never hold government. They were only elected in elite areas as they're backed by big corporate money who stand to financially gain from the policies they advocate.
Do you have a better solution?

Continuing to allow faceless men to control who is available to be elected doesn't seem to be resulting in the changes we'd like to see. If independents with different ideas can shake up the entrenched positions, this is a good thing, even if only for a term or two until they notice. If the trend of last election continues, neither major party group might have an outright majority on the floor of parliament.

abc
Legendary Member!

#94 Post by abc » Sun May 12, 2024 11:01 pm

SBD wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 10:29 pm
abc wrote:
SBD wrote:

Continuing to allow faceless men to control who is available to be elected doesn't seem to be resulting in the changes we'd like to see. If independents with different ideas can shake up the entrenched positions, this is a good thing, even if only for a term or two until they notice. If the trend of last election continues, neither major party group might have an outright majority on the floor of parliament.
Stupid cant be fixed and stupids will continue to be gullible. There's literally nothing that can be done until it all collapses then the stupids will realise.

SBD

#95 Post by SBD » Tue May 14, 2024 12:06 am

abc wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 11:01 pm
SBD wrote:
abc wrote:

Stupid cant be fixed and stupids will continue to be gullible. There's literally nothing that can be done until it all collapses then the stupids will realise.
Did you just call all Australian citizens "stupid"?

At the same time, you say there is no point in trying to vote for alternatives to the major parties to advocate or change.

abc
Legendary Member!

#96 Post by abc » Tue May 14, 2024 10:56 am

SBD wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 12:06 am
abc wrote:
SBD wrote:

At the same time, you say there is no point in trying to vote for alternatives to the major parties to advocate or change.
majority are, not all

we have proof of that from 2019-2021 era

I didn't say there was no point I said it was not realistic to expect the majority will make better choices as you put it due to the control the media have over the narrative

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#97 Post by HiTouch » Tue May 14, 2024 9:40 pm

abc wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 10:56 am
SBD wrote:
abc wrote:

majority are, not all

I didn't say there was no point I said it was not realistic to expect the majority will make better choices as you put it due to the control the media have over the narrative
abc. Seriously. You can't just call everyone stupid all the time.

abc
Legendary Member!

#98 Post by abc » Tue May 14, 2024 11:20 pm

HiTouch wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 9:40 pm
abc wrote:
SBD wrote:

majority are, not all

I didn't

SBD

#99 Post by SBD » Sun May 19, 2024 8:19 pm

abc wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 11:20 pm
HiTouch wrote:
abc wrote:

majority are, not all

I didn't
I'm not sure you can blindly blame "the media" - even social media. I'm pretty sure it was "the media" who told me there were multiple candidates for preselection in the safe seat I live in. It was "the Party" (or the faceless men in the back room) who chose that the candidate I should be allowed to choose would be a middle-aged man from the Transport Workers Union, not a young woman with a demonstrated ability to explore and promote issues that should be of concern to all of us. If she'd won preselection, I think it would have been the first time in my life that party received my first preference with enthusiasm.

abc
Legendary Member!

#100 Post by abc » Sun May 19, 2024 10:07 pm

SBD wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 8:19 pm
abc wrote:
HiTouch wrote:

I didn't
I'm not sure you can blindly blame "the media" - even social media. I'm pretty sure it was "the media" who told me there were multiple candidates for preselection in the safe seat I live in. It was "the Party" (or the faceless men in the back room) who chose that the candidate I should be allowed to choose would be a middle-aged man from the Transport Workers Union, not a young woman with a demonstrated ability to explore and promote issues that should be of concern to all of us. If she'd won preselection, I think it would have been the first time in my life that party received my first preference with enthusiasm.
What are you even talking about?

SBD

#101 Post by SBD » Sun May 19, 2024 11:11 pm

abc wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 10:07 pm
SBD wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 8:19 pm
abc wrote:

I didn't
What are you even talking about?
Responding to your line above "... I said it was not realistic to expect the majority will make better choices as you put it due to the control the media have over the narrative ".