[PRO] 188 Grenfell Street | 64m | 19 Levels | Student Accom

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[PRO] Re: 188 Grenfell Street | 64m | 19 Levels | Student Accom

#121 Post by Nort » Thu May 16, 2024 12:25 pm

All getting into a tangent though, because the case isn't that it should stay purely because the tenancy is a profitable business, but because it's part of the active lived heritage of the area, and that sort of heritage is more than just a facade.

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[PRO] Re: 188 Grenfell Street | 64m | 19 Levels | Student Accom

#122 Post by Algernon » Thu May 16, 2024 5:12 pm

Nort wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 12:25 pm
All getting into a tangent though, because the case isn't that it should stay purely because the tenancy is a profitable business, but because it's part of the active lived heritage of the area, and that sort of heritage is more than just a facade.
I mean, of course.

My point wasn't about evaluating the place's value, but rather just pointing to the valuation which is likely the only thing the owner gives a damn about. Places that don't have pokies are starting behind the others (financially) and it's up to them to work their arses off to find a niche to keep up. Obviously cranka has that, but it also sits on some expensive city land which just raises that bar again. Sure, you can obviously make money selling pints for 10 bucks. But in the pubs business, it's not just being profitable, but being profitable enough - see: profit seeking, gaf owners.

Regarding the previous comments about said community that goes there. Cranka was my watering hole for a long time. First place I went for a pint last time I came back to Adelaide too. Funny seeing which faces didn't change there. TBH, everyone is right. It's a welcoming, open, diverse place. It's also a forboding, closed society. It's a harmless crowd and I've also seen 2 bonefide barneys there and 2 other swings (one a fresh air shot). The "core" crowd there was always the punks. After some years you got to know who was the genuine article and who was the eastern suburbs with coloured hair to piss off their dad. And that Jukebox next to the door was the ultimate piss taker. All time moment was when randomly "true colors" started playing, the shocked wtf expression across the bar, then a bunch of purple mohawks all breaking out in song to the chorus. Good times.