News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#6091 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Sun May 19, 2024 5:55 pm

cmet wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 11:31 pm
Talk about a staggering statistic.

Rail commitments for the rest of the decade.

Now tell us the number of km of track to be laid in each city. $/km the Port Dock extension would be cheap compared to what's happening in the other cities. Adelaide has the most potential for low $/km projects, such as the Aldinga or Concordia extensions.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#6092 Post by SBD » Sun May 19, 2024 6:14 pm

A-Town wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 10:06 am
victorious80 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 8:43 am
That doesnt seem right. The Tram Grade Sep program alone is a $400m 50:50 state/feds contribution. not that i dont want even more rail investment, but the numbers dont seem to align.
Grade separation programs aren't really an investment in public transport, though. They benefit road users more so than tram patrons.

Do Victoria's numbers in the graph above include budget allocated towards their grade separation project?
Once the north-south motorway is complete, it will become more attractive than Portrush Road to get from the South Eastern Freeway to Wingfield/Port Adelaide/Osborne.

That is likely to prompt further upgrades to Cross Road if an alternate route from Mount Barker/Stirling is not provided. Grade separation of the ARTC line might then become a Federal Transport imperative. I think it's too far down to be able to thing of reconfiguring roads and providing an emergency truck stop as part of a new bridge though.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#6093 Post by I Follow PAFC » Mon May 27, 2024 3:07 pm

Full closure on the Gawler line during the June long weekend
27 May 2024

The Gawler line will be closed during the June long weekend to allow infrastructure upgrades and renewal works to the rail corridor.

During the full line closure, train services will not operate between Adelaide Railway Station and Gawler Central Railway Station.

While these works are undertaken, substitute buses will operate between Adelaide and Gawler Central Railway Stations.

When:

9:00 pm Friday 7 June to last service Monday 10 June 2024.
https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/about- ... ng-weekend
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

PeFe

#6094 Post by PeFe » Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:20 am

South Australian government wants to look like its doing something about expanding public transport.....to me it seems more a pr release to placate the whingers, rather than an actual plan.
Adelaide rail extensions to be investigated with new funding in South Australia's budget

In short: The SA government will allocate $10 million to explore extending Adelaide's rail line further north and south of the city.
ABC News has been told the planning works could also investigate what would be needed to run services to Mount Barker.
Electrifying the train lines, which are already served by diesel trains, will also form a part of the project.

Future extensions and upgrades to Adelaide's rail network will be investigated under funding allocated in South Australia's budget, while more beds have been pledged for two of the city's hospitals.

ABC News has been told $10 million will go towards the rail extension planning, with the cost split equally between the federal and state governments.

Part of the work is expected to look at what it would take to extend the existing rail lines beyond where they currently end.

Land has already been secured for the Seaford line extension.(ABC News: Matthew Smith)

The planning works will examine upgrades to the southern end of the train line, including taking the Seaford line towards Aldinga.

The government has already secured a 60-metre-wide corridor of land from Quinliven Road to Aldinga Beach Road for the extension of that line.

In Adelaide's north, the study will look at where the Gawler line could be extended to the Barossa, using the existing rail corridor.

ABC News has also been told the planning works could also investigate what would be required to extend services to Mount Barker.

Electrifying the train lines, which are already served by diesel trains, will also form a part of the project.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-06-06/ ... /103937514
Aldinga will eventually happen, we know that, the land has been acquired and it is just inevitable that the suburban sprawl will hug the coast as it spreads south. I just hope we get a decent tods around the future Maslin Beach and Aldinga railway stations. We dont need more train lines running through "nothing" and "running to nowhere" like in the first photo of the ABC article.

As for Gawler I don't think an extension to Concordia or the Barossa Valley is justified. Both would better serviced by improved bus services, in and around Gawler and to the Barossa Valley. Gawler train station should be a proper interchange.

The Barossa is a collection of 6 or 7 towns with no centre to service by train. Buses are a better bang for your transport buck.

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#6095 Post by Saltwater » Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:29 am

You get a few consultants in and $10mil won't go very far, to tell us what we largely already know.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#6096 Post by Hooligan » Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:59 am

PeFe wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:20 am
South Australian government wants to look like its doing something about expanding public transport.....to me it seems more a pr release to placate the whingers, rather than an actual plan.
Adelaide rail extensions to be investigated with new funding in South Australia's budget

In short: The SA government will allocate $10 million to explore extending Adelaide's rail line further north and south of the city.
ABC News has been told the planning works could also investigate what would be needed to run services to Mount Barker.

Future extensions and upgrades to Adelaide's rail network will be investigated under funding allocated in South Australia's budget, while more beds have been pledged for two of the city's hospitals.

ABC News has been told $10 million will go towards the rail extension planning, with the cost split equally between the federal and state governments.

Part of the work is expected to look at what it would take to extend the existing rail lines beyond where they currently end.

Land has already been secured for the Seaford line extension.(ABC News: Matthew Smith)

The planning works will examine upgrades to the southern end of the train line, including taking the Seaford line towards Aldinga.

The government has already secured a 60-metre-wide corridor of land from Quinliven Road to Aldinga Beach Road for the extension of that line.

In Adelaide's north, the study will look at where the Gawler line could be extended to the Barossa, using the existing rail corridor.

ABC News has also been told the planning works could also investigate what would be required to extend services to Mount Barker.

Aldinga will eventually happen, we know that, the land has been acquired and it is just inevitable that the suburban sprawl will hug the coast as it spreads south. I just hope we get a decent tods around the future Maslin Beach and Aldinga railway stations. We dont need more train lines running through "nothing" and "running to nowhere" like in the first photo of the ABC article.

As for Gawler I don't think an extension to Concordia or the Barossa Valley is justified. Both would better serviced by improved bus services, in and around Gawler and to the Barossa Valley. Gawler train station should be a proper interchange.

The Barossa is a collection of 6 or 7 towns with no centre to service by train. Buses are a better bang for your transport buck.

An extension to Aldinga is just plain obvious. As for the Gawler line it seems strange to consider the Barossa the place to consider first. A spur to Virginia and Two Wells makes far more sense to me, or even to extend past Gawler to Roseworthy and Freeling.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

RetroGamer87
High Rise Poster!

#6097 Post by RetroGamer87 » Fri Jun 07, 2024 2:42 pm

Hooligan wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:59 am
PeFe wrote:

An extension to Aldinga is just plain obvious. As for the Gawler line it seems strange to consider the Barossa the place to consider first. A spur to Virginia and Two Wells makes far more sense to me, or even to extend past Gawler to Roseworthy and Freeling.
Not to mention Riverlea Park. Without rail transport this mammoth new development will be up the river without a paddle.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#6098 Post by Hooligan » Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:09 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 2:42 pm
Hooligan wrote:
PeFe wrote:

Not to mention Riverlea Park. Without rail transport this mammoth new development will be up the river without a paddle.

Riverlea would be great as well, I only mentioned the other towns because they already have a rail corridor running through them. Making them easier to get to.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

RetroGamer87
High Rise Poster!

#6099 Post by RetroGamer87 » Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:32 pm

Hooligan wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:09 pm
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Hooligan wrote:

Riverlea would be great as well, I only mentioned the other towns because they already have a rail corridor running through them. Making them easier to get to.
I see your point. A broad gauge track could be built parallel to the east of the standard gauge track but it would be on the opposite side compared to the areas where most of the people live (Salisbury North and the most heavily populated portion of Virginia, for example).

It would be impossible to get a train into Riverlea without crossing over the ARTC track, which would require either expensive grade separation or an inconvenient diamond crossing (the sort we spent hundreds of millions of dollars to eliminate in Bowden and Goodwood).

Riverlea will have already been planned and built without provision for a central train station. Assuming a means of crossing the ARTC track can be built, at best the hypothetical Riverlea station would be at the outskirts of Riverlea.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#6100 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:12 pm

Saltwater wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:29 am
You get a few consultants in and $10mil won't go very far, to tell us what we largely already know.
Exactly, these studies have been done in the past. Surely there were studies when they acquired the land to Aldinga.

dbl96
High Rise Poster!

#6101 Post by dbl96 » Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:55 pm

PeFe wrote:

Concordia is projected to house 25,000 people once it is developed over the coming years. I think extending the Gawler Central line by an extra station is justified to serve this population, especially considering that the rail corridor is already there.

The Barossa doesn't have the population to warrant a metropolitan frequency service, but a reintroduced passenger rail service at least a few times a day would make it a lot more accessible, especially for interstate/international tourists. I agree that Adelaide Metro bus service should be extended into the Barossa as well, but busses are slow and difficult for outsiders to navigate. You are right that the Barossa is a collection of towns, however the major ones are all strung out along the former railway corridor which could be easily reactivated, at least as far as Nuriootpa. It should be pretty easy to provide a useful service to Lyndoch, Tanunda and Nuri.
Hooligan wrote:
Freeling and Kapunda are two places that don't get talked about much but have a lot of potential to develop as satellite towns like Mount Barker. There is already reasonable demand in that direction, with a lot of new housing being built in Freeling, not to mention Roseworthy. Again, it would be fairly easy to reactivate service to these areas, as the (abandoned) rail corridor is already there, and serves the centres of these towns.

Yes, surely one of the most obvious network extensions would be a new line serving the north-west growth corridor - Virginia, Two Wells, Riverlea.
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:32 pm
Hooligan wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

I see your point. A broad gauge track could be built parallel to the east of the standard gauge track but it would be on the opposite side compared to the areas where most of the people live (Salisbury North and the most heavily populated portion of Virginia, for example).

It would be impossible to get a train into Riverlea without crossing over the ARTC track, which would require either expensive grade separation or an inconvenient diamond crossing (the sort we spent hundreds of millions of dollars to eliminate in Bowden and Goodwood).

Riverlea will have already been planned and built without provision for a central train station. Assuming a means of crossing the ARTC track can be built, at best the hypothetical Riverlea station would be at the outskirts of Riverlea.
As I discussed in a previous post, the best solution to the Riverlea planning mess is to build a branch from the Virginia/Two Wells line, branching from north of Virginia Station, and crossing Port Wakefield Road to serve stations in the area immediately south of Walker's Riverlea development. The area around the stations would then be built up as a proper town centre area for Riverlea. Admittedly it increases the size of the Riverlea sprawl a bit, but it is the price that needs to be paid to ensure the development has the services it needs, considering these haven't been accounted for in Walker's masterplan.

A bridge/underpass crossing the ARTC line could be built near the Salisbury junction, or it could just be built on the Riverlea branch line - perhaps in connection with a bridge over Port Wakefield Road. The advantage to bridging the ARTC line closer to Salisbury would be that the new stations on the Virginia/Two Wells line could be built on the side of the tracks where there is the most development. That said, pedestrian overpasses over all tracks including the ARTC one would solve the problem well enough if the stations needed to be located on the eastern side of the corridor.

rubberman

#6102 Post by rubberman » Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:48 pm

dbl96 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 3:55 pm
PeFe wrote:

Concordia is projected to house 25,000 people once it is developed over the coming years. I think extending the Gawler Central line by an extra station is justified to serve this population, especially considering that the rail corridor is already there.

The Barossa doesn't have the population to warrant a metropolitan frequency service, but a reintroduced passenger rail service at least a few times a day would make it a lot more accessible, especially for interstate/international tourists. I agree that Adelaide Metro bus service should be extended into the Barossa as well, but busses are slow and difficult for outsiders to navigate. You are right that the Barossa is a collection of towns, however the major ones are all strung out along the former railway corridor which could be easily reactivated, at least as far as Nuriootpa. It should be pretty easy to provide a useful service to Lyndoch, Tanunda and Nuri.
Hooligan wrote:
Freeling and Kapunda are two places that don't get talked about much but have a lot of potential to develop as satellite towns like Mount Barker. There is already reasonable demand in that direction, with a lot of new housing being built in Freeling, not to mention Roseworthy. Again, it would be fairly easy to reactivate service to these areas, as the (abandoned) rail corridor is already there, and serves the centres of these towns.

Yes, surely one of the most obvious network extensions would be a new line serving the north-west growth corridor - Virginia, Two Wells, Riverlea.
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 6:32 pm
Hooligan wrote:

As I discussed in a previous post, the best solution to the Riverlea planning mess is to build a branch from the Virginia/Two Wells line, branching from north of Virginia Station, and crossing Port Wakefield Road to serve stations in the area immediately south of Walker's Riverlea development. The area around the stations would then be built up as a proper town centre area for Riverlea. Admittedly it increases the size of the Riverlea sprawl a bit, but it is the price that needs to be paid to ensure the development has the services it needs, considering these haven't been accounted for in Walker's masterplan.

A bridge/underpass crossing the ARTC line could be built near the Salisbury junction, or it could just be built on the Riverlea branch line - perhaps in connection with a bridge over Port Wakefield Road. The advantage to bridging the ARTC line closer to Salisbury would be that the new stations on the Virginia/Two Wells line could be built on the side of the tracks where there is the most development. That said, pedestrian overpasses over all tracks including the ARTC one would solve the problem well enough if the stations needed to be located on the eastern side of the corridor.
Why not just re-gauge the diesel railcars that are now in excess, and put a connection into Adelaide Railway Station as happens at Spencer Street, oops, Southern Cross. Then there's all sorts of options possible: duplication of the standard gauge and/or dual gauge of the line to Salisbury etc which are likely no more expensive than grade separating the line to Port Augusta.

PeFe

#6103 Post by PeFe » Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:29 pm

There is no room at the Adelaide Railway Station for regional or interstate trains......there is not enough room for all the suburban services....already we have 2 departing services on the same platform.

That is why an underground CBD tunnel would unlock all sorts of possibilities regarding more frequent suburban services and.....and....(draws deep breath) regional/interstate services returning the CBD.

ChillyPhilly

#6104 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:44 pm

PeFe wrote:There is no room at the Adelaide Railway Station for regional or interstate trains......there is not enough room for all the suburban services....already we have 2 departing services on the same platform.

That is why an underground CBD tunnel would unlock all sorts of possibilities regarding more frequent suburban services and.....and....(draws deep breath) regional/interstate services returning the CBD.
This is the way.

A brand new North Terrace Railway Station underground and an upgraded ARS for regional and interstate rail.

Keswick and the area to the west would be rezoned and redeveloped.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

rubberman

#6105 Post by rubberman » Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:32 pm

PeFe wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:29 pm
There is no room at the Adelaide Railway Station for regional or interstate trains......there is not enough room for all the suburban services....already we have 2 departing services on the same platform.

If there's no room at ARS, then we are wasting time talking about servicing Riverlea, Two Wells, and the Barossa until either we build the loop, but that's even further off, or we convert the Outer Harbor line to light rail, freeing up a couple of tracks. The loop isn't on the government's radar.