News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
EBG
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

#901 Post by EBG » Fri May 31, 2024 8:14 am

Nice pictures Norman, but after 8 months it is still not quite finished. At this rate they average 17 1/2 metres per month.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#902 Post by SRW » Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:07 am

EBG wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 8:14 am
Nice pictures Norman, but after 8 months it is still not quite finished. At this rate they average 17 1/2 metres per month.
The latest works notification on the project website says there'll be limited works on the site until a delayed shipment of light poles arrives in early June. It's not clear to me why they can't complete other works while they wait, but there you go.
Keep Adelaide Weird

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#903 Post by SouthAussie94 » Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:17 pm

I imagine the lightpole shipment would include the bases of the poles. These would need to be embedded in concrete below the finished surface level of the road. They can't really progress to the next stage until everything that needs to be in the ground has been installed.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Llessur2002

#904 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:12 pm

First look at Gouger Street upgrade plans

The first designs for Adelaide City Council’s plan to revitalise the Gouger Street dining and market precinct have been revealed, prioritising pedestrians with wider footpaths, multi-use activity zones and a lower speed limit.

A render of the Gouger Street upgrade from the eastward view of the street, featuring an informal pedestrian crossing with new median and green pedestrian nodes. Photo: City of Adelaide.

The renders of a proposed Gouger Street upgrade were presented to the council’s Infrastructure and Public Works Committee last night.

Concept plans propose reducing the number of on-street car parks from 109 to 82, including four access bays and 39 flexi zone bays that can accommodate loading, parking, activation or outdoor dining.

The plans intend to manage on-street parking for different periods of the day and increase the street’s walkability to encourage visitors to use public transport or to park further away.

BEFORE:
Current westward view of Gouger Street. Photo: City of Adelaide

AFTER:
Proposed view of Gouger Street with a double-lane loading zone. Photo: City of Adelaide

The project has been earmarked a $15 million budget, with final costs to be determined by the final design. The upcoming council budget has allocated $1.25 million to produce the detailed designs in the 2024/25 financial year.

Councillor Simon Hou said the feedback he’s heard in the precinct includes a desire for better lighting, more CCTV cameras and prioritising repaving to fix uneven paths.

Gouger Street’s footpath paving was installed in 1997 and is not due for planned renewal until 2037. According to the report, the paving is in good condition overall but there’s a perception of it looking old and dated.

The road surface is overdue for renewal since being installed in 1960, with patched and uneven areas along the street.

BEFORE:
Current view from Compton Street to California Street South laneway. This photo: City of Adelaide

AFTER:
Proposed northward view from Compton Street to California Street South laneway. Photo: City of Adelaide

Hou said he’s also heard business owners’ concerns about the economic impact of major works in the area on their operations.

“Firstly it’s not enough funds, $15 million on one hand is not going to help you replace all the pavers on the street,” Hou said.

“Second, looking at today’s economics, they are afraid that if we have got any major works along Gouger Street that might impact their business, they will not survive until the project finishes.”

Gouger Street currently has the lowest vacancy rate of all the city’s main streets at only 3 per cent. However, the Adelaide Economic Development Authority’s figures show visitation hasn’t returned to pre-pandemic levels.

The council report says while free on-street parking in front of businesses is appealing, there is “a growing awareness vehicle traffic and parked cars reduce the appeal of profitable outdoor dining areas through noise, fumes and visual impact, particularly in high turnover parking areas”.

To reduce noise and increase safety, the plans outline an opportunity for the 50 km/h speed limit to be reduced to 30km/h. The reduced speed limit will need to be approved by both the council and the Department of Infrastructure and Transport.

The right-hand turn for vehicles into Gouger Street from Mill Street will also be removed under the plans for pedestrian safety.

Currently, Mill Street is a two-way street with unrestricted entry and exit to Gouger Street. The report recommends maintaining the two-way traffic but eliminating the right-hand turn.

Lord Mayor Jane Lomax-Smith said she is concerned about the randomness of the street furniture pictured and the aesthetics of the street.

“These images actually worry me because we’ve got cement troughs, we’ve got cement circles, we’ve got round corrugated iron things,” she said.

“We killed the tree roots because the trees are in corrugated iron tubs which is a no-no…then three or four different kinds of lighting, there are hockey sticks, dingle dangle lights across the middle, and there are the flying saucers on these images.

“There doesn’t seem to be anything in the text that says we’re going to have a design solution that is specific to Gouger Street that is uniform and it seems to me that there’s a lot of kind of random activities… it’s just so busy.”

A rendering of the proposed westward view of Gouger Street during evening events, which shows potted trees in iron tubs. Photo: City of Adelaide

The plans include a protected north-south cycle lane between Moonta and Compton Streets and cargo bike storage space near the markets.

Lomax-Smith said she found the view of cycling within the plans “dismissive”.

“I actually dislike cycling, I can’t cycle, I have no interest in cycling myself but I go to the market often enough to see people do come on their bikes,” she said.

“The idea that people don’t go to the market on a bike seems to me to be very dismissive and we need to actually give them some capacity to come and park.”

Councillor Phillip Martin said transport should go beyond thinking about cars and bikes.

“We have to think very broadly about accessibility beyond bikes, it has to go to scooters, astral travel or whatever it is that’s going to be the mode of travel in the next 20 years, not exclusively cars,” he said.

“The fewer cars will add to the ambience and the success of the precinct.”

The Gouger Street upgrade is only 30 per cent of the way there, with further consultation and council approval needed before works can begin in 2025/26.

The plans are part of the City’s Mainstreet Revitalisation Program, with Gouger Street prioritised to come after the Hindley Street upgrade.

Martin said reducing carbon footprint should remain a priority throughout the main street upgrades.

“There is a strong view that it is possible to reduce the carbon footprint with these main street redesigns by recycling as much content as we can, so that means even if the top of the lamppost changes, the lamppost remains,” he said.

This stage of the plans will need to be approved at the council meeting next week, with community and stakeholder engagement and procurement of the detailed design consultants taking place from July to August this year.
From: https://www.indaily.com.au/news/adelaid ... rade-plans

EBG

#905 Post by EBG » Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:45 pm

Gouger St is already stuffed -you would be lucky to do 30 K/hr now. When no one goes to the city don't blame me.

Nathan

#906 Post by Nathan » Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:21 pm

EBG wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:45 pm
Gouger St is already stuffed -you would be lucky to do 30 K/hr now. When no one goes to the city don't blame me.
It's a restaurant and retail precinct with high numbers of pedestrians, not a a traffic thoroughfare.

I'm sure the 90 seconds you would save by doing the full 50km/h for the length of the strip you can spend wisely at the next traffic lights.

abc
Legendary Member!

#907 Post by abc » Wed Jun 19, 2024 6:24 pm

Gouger St is a village precinct main street or high street
Adelaide is the best location in Australia to shoot a drama set in the 60s

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#908 Post by A-Town » Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:26 pm

EBG wrote:
Did people stop going to the city when they made the western end of Hindley St 30 kph?

Making precincts like these more pedestrian friendly is far more important than motorists shaving off a few seconds from their commute.

ChillyPhilly

#909 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:34 pm

EBG wrote:Gouger St is already stuffed -you would be lucky to do 30 K/hr now. When no one goes to the city don't blame me.
All streets in the CBD should probably be 30km/h, maybe 40 at most.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

abc
Legendary Member!

#910 Post by abc » Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:47 pm

A-Town wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:26 pm
EBG wrote:
Did people stop going to the city when they made the western end of Hindley St 30 kph?

Making precincts like these more pedestrian friendly is far more important than motorists shaving off a few seconds from their commute.
tell that to a VW driver

Nort

#911 Post by Nort » Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:45 am

All the world's greatest and most vibrant cities are known for how you can speed through them in a personal car. :lol:

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#912 Post by rev » Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:54 pm

A-Town wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:26 pm
EBG wrote:

People certainly aren't going there on a Friday or Saturday night in the numbers they once used to, and it's not related to the speed limit or the redevelopment of the roadway/footpaths in that section.

EBG

#913 Post by EBG » Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:22 pm

Around 2017 the Acc made Hutt St 40 k/hour and after a public outcry the council was made to reinstate it back to 50 k/hour .Even now the Council is taking one lane out of Hutt Rd between South Tce and Glen Osmond Rd through the south parklands .WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rhino

#914 Post by rhino » Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:54 pm

EBG wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:22 pm
Around 2017 the Acc made Hutt St 40 k/hour and after a public outcry the council was made to reinstate it back to 50 k/hour .Even now the Council is taking one lane out of Hutt Rd between South Tce and Glen Osmond Rd through the south parklands .WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hutt St is a completely different story to Gouger Street, it's big and wide and should be a 50km/hr street.

In fact, IMO Glen Osmond Road traffic should be fed into Hutt Street by reducing Glen Osmond Road to a single lane road each way from Hutt Road to South Tce, leaving Pulteney Street for Unley Road traffic. This would allow busses to still flow into Pulteney St, where they are more needed, and vehicles would flow into Hutt Street and disperse from there.
cheers,
Rhino

abc
Legendary Member!

#915 Post by abc » Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:04 pm

its hard to go over 40km/h in Gouger anyway as its usually busy with traffic and the stop lights in front of the market carpark adds to that choke point

Wright St East of the square should be 40km/h though as there's a lot of foot traffic crossing that road