[COM] [The Precinct] Central Bus Station

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: #UC: The Precinct - 5 19 lvl - 62m towers

#121 Post by jk1237 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:59 pm

I rode past and had a look a few hours ago at the bus station. I am impressed. Looks great. It will be a celebration when the old bus station is blown into smitherines (if thats a word), and the new towers are put up

Matt
Legendary Member!

#122 Post by Matt » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:49 pm

Wow, it looks fantastic.
Haven't been past there in a while.

Does anyone know if the word BUS is still appearing on the curved section?

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#123 Post by Pistol » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:07 pm

I hope they still put that up - was a nice touch.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#124 Post by Norman » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:04 am

When is this due to completion? I might be doing some regional travel, so I'd like to use it when it's done.

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#125 Post by Al » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:36 pm

From ABC News. Those apartments look pretty sweet. I didn't know they'd be for the homeless or low income earners!
Inspired thinking houses the homeless

New apartments for the homeless and low income earners have been officially opened in Adelaide.

The 38 apartments are above the new Adelaide bus station in Franklin Street in the city.

They are part of the Common Ground project, supported by property developers, business, the South Australian Government and Adelaide City Council.

The project arose from the efforts of former thinker-in-residence Rosanne Haggarty, who runs similar projects in New York.

She has returned to Adelaide for the opening of the housing.

"I could not have imagined that the state could have moved so quickly to put a project in place," she said.

"It's really unprecedented in my experience to see, in a short 15 months, the project board has been organised, resources assembled from across government and the public sector, a beautiful building identified and completed."

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#126 Post by Will » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:01 pm

From the ACC:
555 new car parks open in Grote Street upgrade

Print this Page
Released: 16 Nov 2007 [12.00am] Send to a Friend

Visitors to the new look Grote Street precinct will enjoy the added convenience of a brand new car park, which will open from 7.00am Monday 19 November.

Positioned above the newly constructed Adelaide Central Bus Station, Adelaide City Council’s latest UPark offers casual parking for visitors, as well as long term parking for workers in the area.

Lord Mayor Michael Harbison said the new UPark provides ideal access for the millions of visitors to the Central Market and Grote Street precinct each year.

“In 2006/2007, UPark catered for a record number of parkers across the ten car parks. This new UPark provides an additional 555 bays for visitors, including twelve conveniently located disability access parks.

“Each of the bays has been designed to be wider in order to make parking even easier.

“With an entry directly off Grote Street, visitors can enjoy ease of parking at affordable rates when visiting the City for shopping or dining.”

The Grote Street upgrade is now complete, including widened footpaths, new paving, a new set of traffic lights and the relocated flag poles from King William Street.

“Grote Street is looking completely refreshed and welcoming for visitors to the area,” said the Lord Mayor.

“When the Bus Station becomes fully operational, the revitalisation of the precinct will really come to the fore.”

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

#127 Post by Al » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:29 am

An article from today's Advertiser.
City flats for homeless
Article from: The Advertiser

JILL PENGELLEY

November 17, 2007 12:00am

HOMELESS people will move into apartments above Adelaide's new bus station by Christmas.

Premier Mike Rann yesterday toured the Franklin St Common Ground project, which includes 38 studio and one-bedroom apartments.

The $6 million development is a joint effort of Government and business, with companies including Ikea and Designer Direct furnishing the units.

A second project, in Light Square, will convert the former Sands and McDougall building into 60 units.

It is due for completion by the end of next year.

"This is a spirited new phase in the fight against homelessness," Mr Rann said. "We're demonstrating just what we can achieve when we pool our energies and resources."

The scheme was inspired by former Thinker in Residence Rosanne Haggerty, who founded Common Ground and persuaded New York City to turn a historic Times Square building into housing for 652 homeless people.

In Adelaide for the opening yesterday, Ms Haggerty said she had been surprised how quickly SA had moved on its first project and that other Australian cities were watching with interest.

"This really is a catalyst project for something that's a tremendously inspiring, important initiative for your country," she said.

Support will be provided to connect the housing project's residents with work and community services.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#128 Post by omada » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:55 am

"This is a spirited new phase in the fight against homelessness," Mr Rann said. "We're demonstrating just what we can achieve when we pool our energies and resources."
Nice, so now interstate visitors will be greeted by homeless people... yeh nice... very "New York slum".. I know that sounds insensitive, and it's great that that this type of development exists but surely they could be housed as part of another development?

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#129 Post by stelaras » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:19 am

omada wrote:
Nice, so now interstate visitors will be greeted by homeless people... yeh nice... very "New York slum".. I know that sounds insensitive, and it's great that that this type of development exists but surely they could be housed as part of another development?

Im sure it wont be housing the types of people that usually live under bridges and sleep on park benches. But rather those peoples that are on a list for housing commission homes.

thechap
High Rise Poster!

#130 Post by thechap » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:37 am

omada wrote:Nice, so now interstate visitors will be greeted by homeless people... yeh nice... very "New York slum"..
I'm fairly sure that this means there not homeless anymore, and just because they're homeless, why does that mean they give a bad representation to visitors from interstate? Does nobody in those states know what a homeless person looks like? How could you possibly so insensitive to such an important project. I know this is a development forum but couldn't we just put humanity before construction for one second?
"The Beauty of Grace is that it makes life not fair." - Relient K

bva
High Rise Poster!

#131 Post by bva » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:41 am

not too mention that in stacking up the economics they probably got more govt grant for homeless accommodation than trying to sell for student housing or bottom dwelling private accommodation - lets face it living above a bus station is not high on most people's list

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#132 Post by rhino » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:35 am

bva wrote: lets face it living above a bus station is not high on most people's list
Unless by "Homeless People" you mean Backpackers (well, they're homeless - temporarily at least), who are quite happy to be living above the bus station! :)
cheers,
Rhino

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#133 Post by UrbanSG » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:29 pm

Sounds great pikey. Regarding a few previous posts how about we try to be a bit decent. Paying out homeless people is low, this initiative is great. Or should they sleep in the western parklands and freeze to death when it gets down to 2 degrees in winter? Come on show some respect :roll:

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#134 Post by Will » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:03 pm

UrbanSG wrote:Sounds great pikey. Regarding a few previous posts how about we try to be a bit decent. Paying out homeless people is low, this initiative is great. Or should they sleep in the western parklands and freeze to death when it gets down to 2 degrees in winter? Come on show some respect :roll:
Actually such comments do not surprise me. There were about 20 similar comments posted at Adelaide Now under the article. In the last decade I feel that the notion of the 'fair go' has been slowly downgraded bit by bit and in its place an increasingly mean and tricky society has developed.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#135 Post by omada » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:12 pm

Re: #UC: The Precinct - 5 19 lvl - 62m towers

Post by Will on Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:03 pm

UrbanSG wrote:Sounds great pikey. Regarding a few previous posts how about we try to be a bit decent. Paying out homeless people is low, this initiative is great. Or should they sleep in the western parklands and freeze to death when it gets down to 2 degrees in winter? Come on show some respect :roll:

Actually such comments do not surprise me. There were about 20 similar comments posted at Adelaide Now under the article. In the last decade I feel that the notion of the 'fair go' has been slowly downgraded bit by bit and in its place an increasingly mean and tricky society has developed.
I acknowledge that my earlier comment may have sounded a little insensitive, but I never suggested we leave people to sleep in the parklands, I was merely questioning the rationale of having this development above a major interstate bus station... just my opinion, there's nothing wrong with debate and discussion on the issue