News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Adelaide Transport Woes

#121 Post by monotonehell » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:58 pm

adam73837 wrote:
Cruise wrote:
adam73837 wrote:I have previously suggested in this forum for a train subway to be built underneath the parklands and up to Mt Barker. Of course this won't happen due to the Adelaide City Council, National Trust SA, the Parklands Preservation Comittee, the powerful conservative minorities, etc :roll:
It also wont happen due to the state budget
I'm not suggesting for it to happen immediately, but with the upcoming mining boom and the troops coming to Adelaide money will get pumped into the economy and soon we'll have collected quite a 'nest egg' (providing we don't blow it on pointless things like we always do :lol: )
You mean like a subway to the parklands :lol:

Sorry adam, I couldn't resist. :lol:

But seriously, do you think that the average SE resident would be enticed out of their 4 wheel drives and onto PT?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#122 Post by jk1237 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:24 am

next week will be an interesting week on Adelaides PT system, as its when uni starts. Traditionally, the 1st 3 weeks of uni seem to cause a 20% rise in PT use, and as I experienced last year on some days, had to wait until the 3rd bus came past to even get on during morning peak hour, as all were 'chock-a-block', due to Payneham Rd being surrounded by lots of units full of o/s students. After the 1st month it starts to die down, either caus uni students start to miss class or find a car to use. Will be interesting to see how it all copes

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#123 Post by Edgar » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:52 am

jk1237 wrote:next week will be an interesting week on Adelaides PT system, as its when uni starts. Traditionally, the 1st 3 weeks of uni seem to cause a 20% rise in PT use, and as I experienced last year on some days, had to wait until the 3rd bus came past to even get on during morning peak hour, as all were 'chock-a-block', due to Payneham Rd being surrounded by lots of units full of o/s students. After the 1st month it starts to die down, either caus uni students start to miss class or find a car to use. Will be interesting to see how it all copes
Interesting one, and is certainly very true. I wouldn't be surprised if the city route tram is jam packed.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#124 Post by monotonehell » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:11 am

Edgar wrote:Interesting one, and is certainly very true. I wouldn't be surprised if the city route tram is jam packed.
The few times I've taken it in the afternoon it's been PACKED to the gills along KWS. This is just on regular weekday afternoons. *we don't seem to have a sweat drop smilie so you can just imagine one here*
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#125 Post by AG » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:59 pm

jk1237 wrote:next week will be an interesting week on Adelaides PT system, as its when uni starts. Traditionally, the 1st 3 weeks of uni seem to cause a 20% rise in PT use, and as I experienced last year on some days, had to wait until the 3rd bus came past to even get on during morning peak hour, as all were 'chock-a-block', due to Payneham Rd being surrounded by lots of units full of o/s students. After the 1st month it starts to die down, either caus uni students start to miss class or find a car to use. Will be interesting to see how it all copes
Two things I've noticed during O'Week. I know a few people who used to use the 17x series of buses along Payneham Road who live close to the city have been using the 291 instead. The 175 exists, but it isn't signposted at the bus stops for some reason, and I have only ever seen a 175 once. Most of the Payneham Road buses I've seen depart my stop are well loaded, but only a handful of them depart the city completely full.

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#126 Post by adam73837 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:46 pm

On an unrelated topic we sit here and call the Heysen Tunnels on SE Freeway a 'fabulous piece of engineering', however despite the fact that it might be, look at:
  • the sound tube on Melbourne's citylink
  • the Bolte Bridge (which has two towers as as an aesthetic addition to the bridge and are 90 meters tall (just 40 metres shorter than our tallest building and these aren't even hosuing anyone or anything, something like that happening in Adelaide? That'd be the day.)
  • The Northbridge Tunnel which travels underneath Perth's CBD
  • The new Underground Stations which travel under William Street in Perth (Adelaide could have had a train subway going under King William Street and then travelling along the current tramline corridor and would have met a split juction where it would have either gone down on the current Noarlunga Line or on the Belair Line and would have eliminated the need for the railwayline between Goodwood and the Gaol loop therefore meaning that the Interstate Railway Terminal could have been at Victoria Square :!: :idea: :!: :idea: :!: :idea: :!: Victoria Square would have become the centre of activity and our interstate passengers would come to a brilliant place that would give them a reason to come. Of course Dunstan though he knew best, so now we are left with an Interstate Railway Terminal situated in the middle of railway yards and a suburban railway line dead-end. :roll:
Yes, I know that we don't have that kind of money, but if we did, with the current ways of people in Adelaide and the power of minorites, similar projects to these would most certainly not be done. Why? Because of our powerful minority groups which bring the government (which shoud be showing strong leadership) to its knees and the fact that we dwell on the past and focus on our mistakes, rather than focusing on the long term future and looking at the great possiblilities.
We must change if we want to make good use of the money that will be coming in from the mining boom (and I mean infastructure, energy and all the other genres as well as the big Transport issue).
Last edited by adam73837 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#127 Post by Norman » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:32 pm

AG wrote:
Two things I've noticed during O'Week. I know a few people who used to use the 17x series of buses along Payneham Road who live close to the city have been using the 291 instead. The 175 exists, but it isn't signposted at the bus stops for some reason, and I have only ever seen a 175 once. Most of the Payneham Road buses I've seen depart my stop are well loaded, but only a handful of them depart the city completely full.
That's because the 175 only runs 2 times a day, and exists to provide extra services along Payneham Road.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#128 Post by jimmy_2486 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:53 am

adam73837 wrote:On an unrelated topic we sit here and call the Heysen Tunnels on SE Freeway a 'fabulous piece of engineering'
Oh yes adam....no one in the world has attempted such a endevour!!

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#129 Post by Cruise » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:09 pm

The Heysen tunnels were Australia's first split tunnels

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#130 Post by rhino » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:27 pm

Apparently they did think about erecting a pair of 40m high decorative towers in the Heysen Tunnels, but the idea was rejected. It was considered a waste of public funds.
cheers,
Rhino

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#131 Post by AtD » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:09 pm

Cruise wrote:The Heysen tunnels were Australia's first split tunnels
What about the Sydney M5?

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#132 Post by AG » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:17 pm

AtD wrote:
Cruise wrote:The Heysen tunnels were Australia's first split tunnels
What about the Sydney M5?
The twin tunnels of the M5 East were opened in late 2001. Heysen Tunnels were open during March 2000.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#133 Post by Cruise » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:04 pm

As always, AG is right again

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#134 Post by AtD » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:57 pm

OK, what about Sydney Harbour Tunnel? That was opened in 1992 according to Wikipedia.

(I only thought of it because I was in it on Saturday)

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#135 Post by Cruise » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:13 pm

http://www.ezyreg.sa.gov.au/transport_n ... /index.asp

The Adelaide Crafers Highway Project
The Adelaide-Crafers Highway, South Australia’s largest road project, provides first-class driving conditions for heavy freight operators and regular commuters and is a magnificent gateway to the city from the eastern States.

The total project cost of $151 million was funded by the Federal Government under the National Highways program, resulting in many benefits to road users and the community.

Opened by the Prime Minister on 5th of March 2000, this new section of the Princes Highway traverses the western escarpment of the Mt Lofty Ranges descending 430 metres within a distance of 10km. The new route sweeps through dense bushland, deep gullies and steep hills.

The highway also features the Heysen Tunnels, the first twin-tube tunnels on the National Highway.