[COM] Oaklands Crossing | $174m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Oaklands Crossing | $174m

#1 Post by ReallyBad » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:53 pm

Happen to drive past the Oaklands Rail Station, and noticed the Garden store next to it is closing this weekend.

Looks like this might be starting soon. Anyone know when its gonna start?

ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#2 Post by ReallyBad » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:55 pm

Just in case you not sure what I am on about.

[quote]MEDIA RELEASES
06-04-2005
NEW BUS AND RAIL INTERCHANGE NEAR MARION SHOPPING CENTRE

The State Government will build a major bus and rail interchange at Oaklands Park by the end of 2006.

The $7 million project will result in the delivery of a superior interchange facility for public transport commuters in Adelaide’s expanding southern suburbs, using the Noarlunga to Adelaide line.

Infrastructure and Transport Minister Patrick Conlon made the announcement at the launch of the Strategic Infrastructure Plan, Building SA.

“The existing Oaklands Station will be demolished and a new bus and train interchange will be built closer to the Marion Shopping Centre at the intersection of Morphett and Diagonal Roads,â€

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#3 Post by AG » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:18 pm

If Oaklands Interchange is going to be constructed by the end of 2006, it should be starting now, or it should've months ago.

If they're developing housing around the interchange, the new development should be well linked to the station and to Diagonal Road.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#4 Post by AG » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:19 am

Travel hub still 'on track'
By ANNA VLACH
15apr06
AMID suggestions of a Budget blowout, the State Government is adamant its Oaklands Park bus and rail interchange is going ahead.

It yet has to produce a detailed proposal for the $7 million redevelopment, south-west of Adelaide.

Announced in last year's Budget, the centre was to be built by the end of this year.

Independent state MP Kris Hanna said he did not believe the project could be completed for the budgeted $6.8 million.

"It is turning into the new government's first major embarrassment," he said.

A spokesperson for Transport Minister Patrick Conlon confirmed last week the interchange was going ahead and plans were still being worked on.

Mr Conlon told a community meeting last October the proposal would not proceed without community approval.

Local action group BOXers (Better Oaklands Crossing) spokeswoman Jacqueline Cookes said community consultation had been lacking.

"We have been given no clear proposal to put to the community to show them how the project has been amended so we don't know what we are accepting," she said.

The media seems to be firing at the government for every transport project.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#5 Post by Will » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:45 pm

Can I just say how dissapointed I am in the local media through their repeated attacks on every transport project of the State government.

And I just cannot comprehend why they waste space expressing the views of local anti-progress groups.

And the Sunday Mail's editorial calling for the scrapping of the tram extension is very short sighted and 'small town'. The tram extension is not a monument to the premier, but instead it is a piece of infraestructure that will have profound positive phychological impacts on the people of Adelaide.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Marion Interchange

#6 Post by Howie » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:51 pm

Marion - Oaklands Transport Interchange Overview

The $7 million project was announced as part of the State Infrastructure Plan in April 2005. The interchange is to be constructed within the transport corridor at Oaklands Park. The project will result in the delivery of a modern, efficient interchange with facilities that are fully accessible for people with disabilities.

When complete, the Marion Oaklands Transport Interchange will provide:

* A new train station with associated bus interchange areas on Morphett Road
* Facilities that enhance the safety and security of passengers such as monitored and recorded security cameras, duress alarms and increased lighting
* A Park'n'Ride facility for more than 230 cars
* Kiss'n'Ride zones for car passengers
* New facilities for pedestrians and cyclists, including a new pedestrian crossing on the southern side of the rail line for pedestrians to safely cross Morphett Road
* Automated gates for pedestrians to cross the tracks at the level crossing and either end of the station platforms
* Other general passenger facilities including real time passenger information and a ticket sales kiosk

The interchange will provide high quality infrastructure with an emphasis on comfort, access, safety and security for all users.

http://www.transadelaide.com.au/marion_oak/

Tom
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#7 Post by Tom » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:01 pm

I think it should be moved closer to the main road. I dont like the idea of just upgrading the Current station, infact the sooner the current station goes the better in my opinon. Oaklands park has to be the worse station on the network at the moment.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#8 Post by AtD » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:16 pm

Tom, that's one of the options on the table.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM]

#9 Post by crawf » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:16 pm

^^ I completely agree Tom

the station needs to be moved closer to the marion domain what includes the proposed state aquatic centre, Adelaides biggest shopping complex (Westfield Marion) and the curtural centre.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#10 Post by AtD » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:21 pm

BTW Howie, a thread already exists for this topic:
http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... .php?t=269

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#11 Post by AG » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:53 pm

I would think that grade separating the roads and rail at this location for the long term would be a smart idea. A road bridge could double up as pedestrian access or concourse of the station down to the platforms.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#12 Post by Will » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:22 pm

Hasn't this project been scrapped?

I recall reading something in the Messenger a few months ago stating that this project was scrapped due to budget blowouts.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#13 Post by Howie » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:44 pm

AtD wrote:BTW Howie, a thread already exists for this topic:
http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... .php?t=269
Whoops.. i'll merge them then.

Tom
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#14 Post by Tom » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:52 pm

Will wrote:Hasn't this project been scrapped?

I recall reading something in the Messenger a few months ago stating that this project was scrapped due to budget blowouts.
No I think it was that it might be scaled back to not moving it and just upgrading the current station, to which I think, would be short sighted. I also think about this debacle about the trees is pathetic.

ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#15 Post by ReallyBad » Wed May 16, 2007 7:54 pm

Just found the final design