Perth - CBD Buildings & Construction

Discussion on developments interstate and overseas.
jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Perth - CBD Buildings & Construction

#16 Post by jk1237 » Thu May 01, 2008 8:53 pm

Omicron wrote: Nightlife in Perth is concentrated around Northbridge, isn't it? Has anyone been - what's it like there?
I havent been there for 7 years, but Northbridge is the nightclub, sex shop, a few pubs, restuarant, cafe area of the city, north of the railway lines. Its really nothing like anything here, and is just mix match of lots of things. Its like a cross between Hindley St West, O'Connell St, Gouger St. Infact Todd Street Mall in Alice Springs reminds me of it. Its quite nice, theres some nice old pubs catering for all sorts, a few ferals walking around, many restaurants, and is very busy at night like Rundle St. The main street has some great historic buildings, but the rest seemed to be devloped in the 90s, with 1 storey cafes and buildings, that do have a bit of a country town feel during the daytime. I remember a very purple cafe on one corner. No one from perth ever takes any shots of Northbridge. Theres a little chinatown food court aswell. The crowd is all sorts aswell. I must admit its a great view of the city skyline, but again, no one from perth ever takes photos from that side.
A huge positive that Adelaide has over Perth is the fact that we have 3 large uni campuses in our city, which brings along a huge, vibrant student population that spills into our pubs, cafes, and retail areas around North Tce, Rundle Mall and Rundle St. Perth totally lacks this. None of Perths uni's are in walking distance of the city centre

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#17 Post by adam73837 » Sat May 03, 2008 12:06 am

monotonehell wrote:
adam73837 wrote:Adelaide will truly become an iconic place! :D
What does that mean?
Please accept my apologies, I was in the middle of finishing off an essay when I posted that and I really should re-word it. What I meant was that if Adelaide's CBD had really tall buildings and really good entertainment precincts, it would be a really nice place to visit for both tourists and residents of the metro area. A little like Darling Harbour (only d=Darling Harbour is next to salt water and its tourist attractions such the IMAX Theatre, the warfare destroyer, the Lindt Chocolate Shop, the monorail (which links it to the Sydney Tower, Pitt Street, etc.), the ferries-which take you everywhere and finally Darling Harbour is not being held back by a powerful force of corrupt conservatives. (Let's start off by listing the Parklands Preservation Comittee shall we...?)
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

mondayblues
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#18 Post by mondayblues » Thu May 08, 2008 1:31 am

Omicron wrote:Perth suburbia reminded me of Hallett Cove replicated four hundred times; all freeways, highways and median strips. The CBD seemed remarkably devoid of pedestrians, and lacking the distinctive character of Adelaide CBD streets.
*awaits e-Slapping*
What an incredibly funny comment.

If anything, it is Adelaide suburbia which is repeated many hundred times over with mile after mile of grid streets stretching well north and south of the city, typical of any American city. Perth suburbs contain a variety of different designs, with many parks, lakes, bushland in between. Very little of this in the typical Adelaide suburb.

Perth has one freeway going north south, the eastern side of the city is not serviced by any freeway really.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#19 Post by monotonehell » Thu May 08, 2008 2:40 am

mondayblues wrote:Perth has one freeway going north south, the eastern side of the city is not serviced by any freeway really.
Graham Framer Freeway? :lol:
Maybe that's because, similar to Adelaide the Greater Metro area runs along a North-South corridor.

And welcome to Sensational Adelaide!
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#20 Post by Cruise » Thu May 08, 2008 7:24 pm

mondayblues wrote:
Omicron wrote:Perth suburbia reminded me of Hallett Cove replicated four hundred times; all freeways, highways and median strips. The CBD seemed remarkably devoid of pedestrians, and lacking the distinctive character of Adelaide CBD streets.
*awaits e-Slapping*

If anything, it is Adelaide suburbia which is repeated many hundred times over with mile after mile of grid streets stretching well north and south of the city, typical of any American city. Perth suburbs contain a variety of different designs, with many parks, lakes, bushland in between. Very little of this in the typical Adelaide suburb.

Perth has one freeway going north south, the eastern side of the city is not serviced by any freeway really.
Omicron, you were just e-Slapped

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#21 Post by Omicron » Fri May 09, 2008 10:48 pm

Cruise wrote:
mondayblues wrote:
*awaits e-Slapping*

Omicron, you were just e-Slapped
It didn't hurt quite as much as it could have, because I had my tongue placed firmly in my cheek at the time, insulating me from much of the blow. :wink: