Adelaide to lose last CBD cinema complex

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
jlimty
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Adelaide to lose last CBD cinema complex

#31 Post by jlimty » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:53 pm

Such a shame that the CBD doesn't have a single cinema complex anymore. Luckily, with the closure of this particular branch, we can build a true cinema complex in a much better location (the Harris Scarfe development would be perfect for this IMHO) With the ever increasing number of international students coming over to Adelaide, not having a cinema in the CBD would be a wasted opportunity. A lot of students live in the CBD (or are in the CBD for classes anyway) and having a state of the art cinema complex within walking distance to student accommodation is a win win situation I would say :D With good facilities and added incentives who knows, perhaps even some of the working folk might stick around after 5 to catch a movie on a weekday. That would certainly help with the "vibrancy" of the CBD during weekday nights.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#32 Post by Wayno » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:20 am

jlimty wrote:Such a shame that the CBD doesn't have a single cinema complex anymore. Luckily, with the closure of this particular branch, we can build a true cinema complex in a much better location (the Harris Scarfe development would be perfect for this IMHO) With the ever increasing number of international students coming over to Adelaide, not having a cinema in the CBD would be a wasted opportunity. A lot of students live in the CBD (or are in the CBD for classes anyway) and having a state of the art cinema complex within walking distance to student accommodation is a win win situation I would say :D With good facilities and added incentives who knows, perhaps even some of the working folk might stick around after 5 to catch a movie on a weekday. That would certainly help with the "vibrancy" of the CBD during weekday nights.
yep, i bet the Wallis, Greater Union & Hoyts are already thinking about where to build a shiny new cinema complex! He who acts first will win!!!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#33 Post by Edgar » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:46 pm

I'm glad it is closed to be honest.

How many of you actually go there in the first place? It is a business that is located in the wrong area of the city. Hindley St, as popular as it is for young teens, are only good for night life entertainments, any other businesses that would survive along that street would be fast food restaurants that only opens during normal business hours.

Locate the cinema to somewhere near Victoria Sq, it would at least rejuvenate the square and make it a more convenient and pleasant cinema to go to. If I have children, I wouldn't bring them near Hindley St at all during night time, let alone going to a cinema along the stinking, dirty, and drunk-polluted street.

Until there are enough attractions in the city at night even on weekends, I wouldn't be bothered driving to the city, pay for the parking, and go to the cinema. Palace Nova is an exemption, I do occasionally go there because there Rundle St are one of my favourite places to be on at night, and customers who attend Palace Nova have better manners, they sit properly, and they don't life and hang their feets on the seats in front of them.

It may be more expensive, it may be smaller, but it has excellent atmosphere.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#34 Post by rhino » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:24 am

Edgar wrote:How many of you actually go there in the first place?
And this is what it comes down to in the end, isn't it? Do you think Greater Union are closing it down because patronage is so good? They're running a business - it's not being patronised, they're cutting their losses and getting out.

Accept it.

Having said that, if the reason patronage is low is because of the location within the city, hopefully we'll see them open up somewhere else within the CBD some time soon.
cheers,
Rhino

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#35 Post by omada » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:48 am

ffs we do have a CBD Cinema Complex, and a very fine one at that - Palace Nova on Rundle Street.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#36 Post by crawf » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:03 pm

Locate the cinema to somewhere near Victoria Sq, it would at least rejuvenate the square and make it a more convenient and pleasant cinema to go to. If I have children, I wouldn't bring them near Hindley St at all during night time, let alone going to a cinema along the stinking, dirty, and drunk-polluted street.
Hindley Street is very overrated, its improved a hell of alot over the past few years but it still has a bad reputation.

If we had a large cinema megaplex located in the Rundle Mall precinct, I'm positive it would knock of Greater Union Marion Megaplex being the most popular cinema in SA.

Hoops
Donating Member
Donating Member

#37 Post by Hoops » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:09 pm

Being self admittedly a car orientated person, preferring UPARK to on street parking. I may be unaware of just how much on street parking is available. However, Is there sufficent/easy to locate parking for a megaplex after hours once the UPARKS etc have closed for the night?

(From what I've observed there isn't but i could be mistaken

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#38 Post by rev » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:57 am

I'd imagine should a megaplex open up in the cbd, the nearby Upark's would stay open extra hours. It's more money for them after all.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#39 Post by Norman » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:10 am

There would also be a high use of Public Transport to access the Megaplex.

Hoops
Donating Member
Donating Member

#40 Post by Hoops » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:50 pm

Having only visited the greater union hindley st a handful of times (all during the day)

But using the Upark gawler place regularly(often closing at 7pm)

Sure its not close proximity but its the closest one to the greater union hindley st and it was never open later

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#41 Post by monotonehell » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:20 am

Hoops wrote:Having only visited the greater union hindley st a handful of times (all during the day)

But using the Upark gawler place regularly(often closing at 7pm)

Sure its not close proximity but its the closest one to the greater union hindley st and it was never open later
Only the UParks close to the Mall close at around 7 (after the shops close - Gawler, Grenfell) however the ones near the entertainment/restaurant areas open until midnight (Rundle Street, Topham, Central Market etc) Even later on weekends - Rundle street doesn't close at all on the weekend.

Basically they stay open when there's even a tiny demand. I used to work in them with maybe 5 cars or less some nights.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Dr Rudi
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#42 Post by Dr Rudi » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:19 pm

omada wrote:ffs we do have a CBD Cinema Complex, and a very fine one at that - Palace Nova on Rundle Street.
Exactly - and posters seem to have lost sight of this, so it merits repeating.

We have a cinema complex, the Palace Nova on Rundle Street.

Sonata
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#43 Post by Sonata » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:14 pm

I think it's sad. :(