Adelaide United's chance to make history

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Cruise
Banned
Banned

Re: Adelaide United's chance to make history

#16 Post by Cruise » Fri May 23, 2008 3:57 pm

I have to admit i am an armchair supporter, God bless Foxtel!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#17 Post by Norman » Fri May 23, 2008 11:51 pm

By not having Foxtel, you could save up for a new car ;) :lol:

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#18 Post by ghs » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:47 pm

Anyone want to make some predictions about where they'll play the Adelaide leg
of the Asian Champions League final.. Tickets go on sale thursday next week so
we will know then.... Of course this is assuming we hold on to our 3-0 lead.

The Advertiser have reported that it will be at Hindmarsh but I don't take much
notice of that S!@#%y paper.... At the semi final they were advertising the final match
but they did not specify the venue..

joshzxzx
Donating Member
Donating Member

#19 Post by joshzxzx » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:12 pm

CARN you REDS!!!!!
South Australia the Festival State

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#20 Post by rev » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:07 pm

ghs wrote:Anyone want to make some predictions about where they'll play the Adelaide leg

notice of that S!@#%y paper.... At the semi final they were advertising the final match
If Adelaide make it to the final, it will be played at Hindmarsh. Adelaide United(either coach or ceo) have already stated this.
As good as it will be for Adelaide to make it, it does highlight the fact we have nowhere to hold such events. And with such a small competition as the A-League, the likelihood of playing in the AFC regularly is almost certain.

jlimty
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#21 Post by jlimty » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:45 pm

Isn't the Champion's League final to be played at a neutral venue :?:

ghs

#22 Post by ghs » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:45 am

jlimty wrote:Isn't the Champion's League final to be played at a neutral venue :?:
No it's played over 2 legs. There will be 1 leg here in Adelaide and 1 in Japan.

I think there's a good chance our leg will be played at AAMI, despite what's been reported
in the advertiser.

drwaddles
High Rise Poster!

#23 Post by drwaddles » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:45 am

I hope the Dirty Southern Barrel Boys get up!

(Said as a Jets supporter)

adam_stuckey
High Rise Poster!

#24 Post by adam_stuckey » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:43 am

It's nice to see everyone getting behind united! i did hear that one person isn't though. Mike Rann didn't bother rocking up to the game on wednesday.Now i'm sure he's a busy man but i'm sure he could squeeze in some time for the biggest game in history. Honestly that game was 9/10 ofthe socceroos making the world cup and it was just south australia who did it.

I'm sorry but i just can't believe that they haven't realised how good Adelaide united doing well in asia is for the state! Had anyone heard of Pohang or Changchun before we played them? i honestly doubt it. Adelaide needs to be well known in asia for so many reasons; mining, overeseas students, tourism, the list does go on. Not only does it make sense from an export/import stance what about all the immigrants that followed this great game in there home country, i know that a very low percentage of them really care about AFL. So why bother with spending $100m on upgrading something that doesn't need it, instead of investing in something with untapped potential.

Sport really speaks every language in the world but i'm fairly sure that AFL isn't in any of the dictionaries in japan or china, but i'm sure Adelaide united will be.

So lets help them out by giving them somewhere better to play so they don't keep losing money. because i believe that if they had somewhere big enough they would get at least 20,000 a game, and then we would get Socceroos games and offseason games like the LA galaxy or Juventus which as a matter of fact we actually had until they heard how small that stadium was and we lost it to Melbourne. and not only that we could get Wallaby games and actually be involved in the 2018 world cup bid.

I have already started voting with my feet, i refuse to travel 35 mins to see sport when i can travel for 10 mins to see Adelaide United and i can see that the Power are starting to feel similar (at least about the stadium)
To try to put it in some sort of perspective the World Cup is as big as having 2 grand finals a day for a month

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#25 Post by monotonehell » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:10 pm

drwaddles wrote:I hope the Dirty Southern Barrel Boys get up!
Now, I understand each of those words on their own, but strung together like that it's just gibberish ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#26 Post by adam73837 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:46 pm

rev wrote:
ghs wrote:Anyone want to make some predictions about where they'll play the Adelaide leg

If Adelaide make it to the final, it will be played at Hindmarsh. Adelaide United(either coach or ceo) have already stated this.
As good as it will be for Adelaide to make it, it does highlight the fact we have nowhere to hold such events.
Spot on! Try telling that to all of the stubborn AAMI Staidum supporters on Sensational Adelaid!!! If only we had a stadium like ANZ Stadium... <SIGHS AND SHAKES HIS HEAD>
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

ghs

#27 Post by ghs » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:18 pm

They're through to the final and it looks like it's going to be played at the Hindmarsh Cauldron !!

Apparently they'll be putting extra seats in. As they did for the 2000 olympics. Should increase
the capacity to 20,000 I reckon.

ghs

#28 Post by ghs » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:19 pm

Also it's good that we have the second leg this time

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#29 Post by muzzamo » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:47 pm

ghs wrote: Apparently they'll be putting extra seats in. As they did for the 2000 olympics. Should increase
the capacity to 20,000 I reckon.
Do you have a source for this?

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#30 Post by Tyler_Durden » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:50 pm

adam73837 wrote:
rev wrote:If Adelaide make it to the final, it will be played at Hindmarsh. Adelaide United(either coach or ceo) have already stated this.
As good as it will be for Adelaide to make it, it does highlight the fact we have nowhere to hold such events.
Spot on! Try telling that to all of the stubborn AAMI Staidum supporters on Sensational Adelaid!!! If only we had a stadium like ANZ Stadium... <SIGHS AND SHAKES HIS HEAD>
It would be nice to have an ANZ stadium but who will play there on a weekly basis to make such a stadium viable?

Port Adelaide? Hardly. They are struggling with the costs of AAMI as it is. And that's in a season where membership was boosted by making a Grand Final the previous season.

Adelaide United? Averages of little more than 10,000 tell the story. And other A-League clubs playing out of large stadiums are stuggling with the costs and are moving to more manageable boutique style stadiums (i.e. Melbourne Victory leaving Telstra Dome, Queensland Roar leaving ANZ).

Adelaide Crows? They are possibly the only team that could afford it, maybe. But even if they could 11 or so match days a year don't justify such a stadium. I mean, where does the stadium generate income if it's only being used so few times a year?

And besides all that, if Adelaide United want to play in a bigger stadium, they can - at AAMI. But they don't want to because it's not their home. Having an ANZ type stadium wouldn't change a thing in that regard.