Ideas on how to attract more people to SA?

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
fabricator
Legendary Member!

Re: Ideas on how to attract more people to SA?

#211 Post by fabricator » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:41 am

I think the next big push should be to get more people to move the Mount Gamber.

Why ? Well several important reasons:
1. Unlike most of SA it has its own reliable local water supply.
2. Proximity to Victorian border, If we make it the biggest city in the area by far the magnet effect will take hold, and suck people across the border.
3. Mild climate compared to most of SA.
4. The city needs more jobs and industry for locals.
5. Would make proposed developments and restoration of rail lines even more viable.

Not everyone wants to live in Adelaide proper, I know I don't like big cities myself.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#212 Post by Shuz » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:59 pm

I've always held the belief that Mount Gambier should serve as SA's 'second' city (not that it already is) simply because its the closest to Victoria. It would hugely improve interstate relations, trade, economy, population, etc. There is quite some potential in developing a passenger and freight rail transport corridor between Adelaide and Melbourne via Murray Bridge, Mount Gambier and Geelong. Each of the cities are largely industrial hubs and it would serve to improve the local economies of these areas.

As part of the State's strategic plan for 2050, I think a new goal should be implemented to nominate Mount Gambier as a 'population growth hotspot' as part of the 2 million population growth strategy and set a goal of 50,000 residents by 2050.

I also think that Port Lincoln is one of the states uncaptured tourism hotspots, and if managed effectively - an open market for flight travel between Port Lincoln Airport and Parafield (as regional airports) could harness a lot of people into visiting the region. Again, there should be a population quota of 30,000 by 2050.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#213 Post by crawf » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:10 pm

To be honest I believe Port Lincoln's population will be larger than 30,000 by 2050.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#214 Post by Prince George » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:39 am

I don't see how Port Lincoln's population could get significantly bigger without radically improving its source of water. And how would we keep 50,000 people employed in Mount Gambier?

Hindley Street Alley
Gold-Member ;)

#215 Post by Hindley Street Alley » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:19 pm

sounds like we need to start a sensational-portlincoln site..

Another idea is about Adelaide. It requires about $2 million.

Now we have $50,000 a year for arts grants off the top of my head (correct me if Im wrong). Anyway, if we increase this to $2 million a year we could attract alot of people to SA.

For example, this could allow for 20x $100,000 projects. Adelaide would become the most exciting city in Australia if it was done well. I know we have alot of talented people here who could do amazing art/event etc. things with that kind of money. These things could attract alot of people here, including lots of talented artists (who could help to decorate the city). Then it would attract alot more tourists.

This could also possibly work in Port Lincoln

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#216 Post by jk1237 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:32 pm

that could work with the Fringe festival. Why our state govt gives such a small funding to such a large event that creates world wide publicity for Adelaide is beyond me. I know its special and quite unique as it is, but to really inject some funds and make it huge, and better worldwide marketing/advertising, will attract a lot more tourists who may want to move here, after seeing how nice a city we are.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#217 Post by Norman » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:15 am

Well the Adelaide Film Festival is on soon, that will hopefully reignite our film industry here. Apparently, 11 SA-made films will debut there.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#218 Post by JamesXander » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:23 pm

Ive come to the conclusion I dont want Adelaide to be big. I want our city to be a little bigger though.

Ive been around a few places now and I really dont want Adelaide to be anything like Melbourne or Sydney. Its overpopulated and overpolluted in both cities.

I think Adelaide just needs to lift its class. To improve the general wealth of the state.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#219 Post by Wayno » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:12 pm

JamesXander wrote:Ive come to the conclusion I dont want Adelaide to be big. I want our city to be a little bigger though.

Ive been around a few places now and I really dont want Adelaide to be anything like Melbourne or Sydney. Its overpopulated and overpolluted in both cities.

I think Adelaide just needs to lift its class. To improve the general wealth of the state.
if by bigger you mean increased density within a 5-10km radius of the CBD, then i agree...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#220 Post by JamesXander » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:16 pm

Wayno wrote:
JamesXander wrote:Ive come to the conclusion I dont want Adelaide to be big. I want our city to be a little bigger though.

if by bigger you mean increased density within a 5-10km radius of the CBD, then i agree...

yes pretty much. More so the CBD.

But I was driving around today. And I realised that traffic has gotten worse the last few years.

Thats one of the brillaint things about Adelaide. Its a city, but its liveable an its clean. Its a brilliant place. Idont want to have to endure massive traffic jams, ridiculous house prices and disgusted overpolluted streets.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#221 Post by Will » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:09 pm

I am dissapounted with the idea of using wine to promote our state. It is the same idea that ahs been used for many decades now, and with little success.

I think we could learn something from the Victorian tourism commision, particularly how they have created an image that Melbourne is Australia's fashion capital. Having been to Melbourne and Sydney I for one could not say that the shopping and fashion in Melbourne is any better to that in Sydney, yet the Victorian's have been so succesful in creating such an image that in a recent survey around 50% of people surveyed said that Melbourne had the best shopping in Australia compared to only around 20% for Sydney.

Based on a similar idea, I think we should re-brand ourselves as the 'fine living capital' of Australia. By this I mean expand our focus ion wine to also focus on our world class cheeses, beers, produce, restaurants, to create an image that Adelaide is the best place in Australia to have a gastronomical journey. Although it may not be trully accurate, it should not matter, because we have sifficiently good wine, beer, cheese, produce and restaurants to back up such a claim. In fact at the last restaurant and catering awards, Adelaide was the city with the second higest number of prize winnners, coming second only to Sydney.

Tourism promotion should focus on how easy it is to have a gastronomical journey in the CBD. Promotion should focus on the Central market and each of our 'eat' streets as well as particular restaurants. Gastronomical trails could be created which would focus on different tastes. The possibilities are huge!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#222 Post by crawf » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:01 pm

I like your thinking Will!

Vee
Legendary Member!

#223 Post by Vee » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:48 am

Good thinking, Will!
I like the re-branding ideas and the concept of gastronomical trails.
Indulgence (long) weekends and short or longer holidays could be marketed domestically. Package the food and wine trails (I tried one of the cheese trails in McLaren Vale earlier this year) with accommodation and transport options and add the nearby wine regions into the mix.
The influx of international students into Adelaide has been fabulous and this has added more of a cosmopolitan feel to places like Gouger St. and the Central Market. Visits by family members add to the economy and place Adelaide on the radar. It’s great to see the increase in the number of apartments under construction in Adelaide with more in the affordable (and student) price range.
It’s important to improve the general psyche of Adelaideans and South Australians to be advocates for our great city and state. It’s really disappointing when some of our major events are ignored by the interstate media or comedians take a swipe, possibly because the only news they get is sensationalised. It’s cringeworthy and we all need to work harder to highlight the positives and promote Adelaide and SA.
The ACC and state government departments have a major role to play. The ACC could make the city more attractive and vibrant eg by Improving the streetscapes. So many streets don’t have street trees to ameliorate our (very hot summer) climate and they missed a golden opportunity when they caved in to the anti progress lobby with Victoria Park. The water pipeline for the parklands and new (test) cycle path are good signs. Let’s ramp up our reputation as a green, accessible, liveable and friendly city.
The tram extension, proposed TODs and redevelopment of the Clipsal site are all positive opportunities for the state government to improve the city and attract more residents. What chance the opening up of the grounds of Government House (tear down the high walls) after Oz becomes a republic? This would transform North Terrace and connect this precinct to a revitalised riverside.
We have some fabulous events and festivals for locals and visitors but they tend to be overly concentrated into about six months of the year. The redevelopment of the Adelaide Zoo (revampd entrance and interior) and the arrival of the pandas should boost interest in Adelaide and raise our profile. Plenty of opportunities for tourism and marketing here!
Yesterday, the ‘randy rhino’ escaped his enclosure and roamed the expanses of Monarto Zoo and it made all the Oz news services.
Great publicity! Attendances are sure to go up. Perhaps the rhino could feature on the Zoo sign on the freeway.
We do have great attractions here.
Improving infrastructure and amenities will make Adelaide more attractive for residents and contrast with the higher stress and congested larger cities. But we need to get more high paying jobs with good career paths to stop the drift of younger folk, lure and retain others from interstate and overseas. Opportunities exist to develop ‘green and innovative projects.’ More renewable energy projects, education and research, local transport developments and innovative water harvesting and recycling spring to mind.
Of course, funding is an issue. The ‘credit crunch’ should help with stimulus federal funding towards major infrastructure and innovation projects.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#224 Post by fabricator » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:16 am

I'd like to see proper office buildings around suburban hubs, for example major shopping centers or train stations having 2-6 story office buildings. Try and reduce the need for people to travel long distances for work, create jobs in the suburbs rather than just in the CBD. Maybe even similar size apartment buildings.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#225 Post by Cruise » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:14 pm

fabricator wrote:I think the next big push should be to get more people to move the Mount Gamber.

Why ? Well several important reasons:
1. Unlike most of SA it has its own reliable local water supply.
2. Proximity to Victorian border, If we make it the biggest city in the area by far the magnet effect will take hold, and suck people across the border.
3. Mild climate compared to most of SA.
4. The city needs more jobs and industry for locals.
5. Would make proposed developments and restoration of rail lines even more viable.

Not everyone wants to live in Adelaide proper, I know I don't like big cities myself.
Whyalla historically is SA's second city