News & Discussion: Monarto Zoo

Developments in Regional South Australia. Including Port Lincoln, Victor Harbor, Wallaroo, Gawler and Mount Barker.
Cruise
Banned
Banned

News & Discussion: Monarto Zoo

#1 Post by Cruise » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:46 pm

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 82,00.html
MONARTO Zoo is investigating plans to build luxury accommodation, following in the footsteps of some of the world's best safari parks.

In a move which would help boost the state's shortage of high-end regional accommodation, the park is researching a proposal to add accommodation facilities to the 1000ha sanctuary, about 70km from Adelaide.
Zoo spokeswoman Emily Rice said the plan was only in its early research stage.

A decision "could be a while off".

Options could include either luxury tented accommodation or more budget facilities.

Should it go ahead, guests would be able to spend the night surrounded by wildlife including lions, giraffes, and cheetahs.

Accommodation in wildlife parks, such as the Madikwe Safari Lodge and Sir Richard Branson's Ulusaba Private Game Reserve, which borders the Kruger National Park, are big tourist drawcards in Africa.

A National Tourism Investment Strategy research report in July, 2006, revealed regional South Australian centres lacked the upmarket accommodation to attract big tourism dollars.

Since then, new properties have opened including Rawnsley Park's four new luxury eco-villas, the Murraylands' first five-star accommodation, Riverview Rise Retreats, and the re-development of the Barossa retreat, Peppers The Louise.

Experts say regional tourism will receive a boost with the official opening of the Port Lincoln Hotel on January 30 and the nature-based, Southern Ocean Lodge at Hanson Bay, Kangaroo Island, in March.

Australian Hotels Association state president Peter Hurley said while there had not been "an absolute void in high-end accommodation, a lot of it had been restricted to the B&B type product".

"There is a market for that but it doesn't suit everyone," he said.

Mr Hurley, whose latest venture is the Port Lincoln Hotel with footballers Mark Ricciuto and Simon Goodwin, said the new facilities at Kangaroo Island and Port Lincoln would be "important additions to that sector".

Acting Tourism Minister John Hill said the private sector was showing renewed interest in the state's regional tourism development opportunities.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#ARTICLE: Monarto to be largest open-range zoo in the world

#2 Post by Shuz » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:50 pm

Monarto to be largest open-range zoo in the world
January 27, 2009 12:30am

MONARTO Zoo will expand to become the world's biggest open range zoo, rivalling African game parks with safari-style tours and five-star accommodation.
Big-spending tourists will be able to sleep under the stars, hear the chilling roar of lions and wake to a safari tour around a massive enclosure roamed by spectacular African wildlife.

The zoo unveiled its plans yesterday after announcing it had bought 450 hectares of land adjacent to the existing site, increasing the zoo's total area to 1450 hectares.

President of the Royal Zoological Society of SA, Heather Caddick, says the acquisition adds a "whole new dimension" to what will be a "premier tourism destination".

"The idea is for an 80ha enclosure that will have giraffe, zebra, antelope and the rhinos all mingling together," she said.

"We're going to give an African wildlife experience with safari tented accommodation - you won't have to fly to Africa."

The conservation of endangered species is paramount and Monarto Zoo wouldn't dare undo the success of breeding programs.

While the carnivorous kings of the jungle will not be allowed to mingle, other animals – including jilted rhino Satara, will be free to wander.

The two-tonne white rhinoceros went on a jealous rampage in December after he discovered his mate had been paired with a younger male.

African elephants are on the zoo's wish list, but they would be very expensive and time-consuming, Mrs Caddick says.

Monarto Zoo projects manager Geoff Brooks says the new piece of land has some special features.

"There is some very pretty country over there that lends itself to a more authentic experience," he said.

"Out here it's just flat but over there are hidden valleys and rises, it's more of a safari.

"In one section, you know the Remarkable Rocks on Kangaroo Island, well there are rocks like that hidden in the bush."

The 450ha was bought from the Schubert family for an undisclosed sum, using money raised by the society's Serengeti Committee and extra contributions from other private donors.

A feasibility study with SA Tourism is already examining accommodation options.

Further details on the development's cost and projected completion date are yet to be confirmed.

ronaldo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: #ARTICLE: Monarto to be largest open-range zoo in the world

#3 Post by ronaldo » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:30 pm

I loved that as I have plans to move very soon to Adelaide. South Australia really needs an attraction of this magnitude in order to be a kind of international destiny, I mean, even more famous. And I am quite sure SA needs more.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by omada » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:36 pm

Yeah at least the AFRICAN wildlife will be protected, but nevermind about extinction rates for Australian wildlife... we will just let loggers, farmers, suburban sprawl, degradation of river ecosystems take care of that - but at least we will able to go on an freakin African Safari!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5 Post by crawf » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:22 pm

Is anyone in this state ever happy with anything?

Omada, there is already a growing number parks in SA and Australia where native animals are protected. What is the harm of a large zoological park?

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#6 Post by rhino » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:44 am

crawf wrote:Is anyone in this state ever happy with anything?

Omada, there is already a growing number parks in SA and Australia where native animals are protected. What is the harm of a large zoological park?
Yup, I agree (with Crawf). Sure, we can do more for our own ecosystems and ecology, but that doesn't mean that this proposal is not great for the state.
cheers,
Rhino

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#7 Post by omada » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:27 am

crawf wrote:Is anyone in this state ever happy with anything?

Yup, I agree (with Crawf). Sure, we can do more for our own ecosystems and ecology, but that doesn't mean that this proposal is not great for the state.
Point taken, I just found it rather funny/odd that in a nation such as ours with a wonderful array of wildlife that people would visit to look at Rhinos etc from Africa. I do realise Monarto's importance for conservation, kinda sad, but in these days necessary.

It is true we have a lot of National Parks etc, but there are only a few in the country that have cat/fox/rabbit proof fencing, as this park would. I would like to see a level of investment on par to Monarto. But yes, you guys are right, this does not make Monarto itself a bad thing, in fact quite the opposite.

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#8 Post by Paulns » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:50 am

I like the idea of this!
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

ronaldo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#9 Post by ronaldo » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:13 am

And what if in a close future they come up with a project of transforming Monarto Zoo into a theme park with rollercoasters etc, like they were trying to do recently with Melbourne Werribee Zoo. Bush Gardens (a sort of) in Tampa, Florida is a success and attract a lot of tourists to the city.
Do you think South Australian Society would approve? Do think it would be great to SA economy?
Sorry...I am from Rio, Brazil, but interested about SA topics.
Ronaldo

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#10 Post by Shuz » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:24 am

Theme parks will always belong in the Gold Coast. There's no viability for them elsewhere. And even if there was, Glenelg would have more chance of being successful than one out at Monarto.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

Re: #ARTICLE: Monarto to be largest open-range zoo in the wo

#11 Post by pushbutton » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:21 pm

ronaldo wrote:And what if in a close future they come up with a project of transforming Monarto Zoo into a theme park with rollercoasters etc, like they were trying to do recently with Melbourne Werribee Zoo. Bush Gardens (a sort of) in Tampa, Florida is a success and attract a lot of tourists to the city.
Do you think South Australian Society would approve? Do think it would be great to SA economy?
Sorry...I am from Rio, Brazil, but interested about SA topics.
Ronaldo
That would be the best thing that has ever happened in Adelaide. As far as I know though it's not even being considered.

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Monarto Zoo

#12 Post by dsriggs » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:59 am

you had to bump a 4 year old thread for that contribution?

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Monarto Zoo

#13 Post by neoballmon » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:49 am

Anu chance to push a theme park idea and pushbutton will take it. Even if it is 4 years old.

On Monarto though, I think they could have a lot better patronage if they promoted their zookeepeer for a day package. My younger cousin got this for her birthday a couple of weeks ago and she absolutely loved it. I'd never even heard of it before that though. There would be a lot of people who would like to do this stsort of thing but just have no idea it exists!
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!