#Just Stop Bagging Adelaide

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
gregrogers257
Gold-Member ;)

we already have it

#31 Post by gregrogers257 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:28 pm

bdm wrote:
Will wrote:
bdm wrote:I'm not. I love Adelaide, but she's not getting the attention she deserves.

Screw our government and anyone who doesn't demand more.
bdm, you have mentioned the phrase, "demand more" a lot of times before on this forum.

Could you please explain what you mean by this?
People in this city and state are seemingly content with the poor lot we have! Why aren't we screaming for population growth, economic growth, freeways, better public transport, more events? Why?
We already have good events, good economic growth, good population growth....

tidus0
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#32 Post by tidus0 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:25 am

actually adelaide would have to be one of the countries best cities as it isn't all that crowded but still is active and alive it has facilities we all need and wel want and although it hasn't a great growth of say sydney, melborne and brisbane it still beats them other ways. The fact the government is trying to double the population by some date i can't remember that would make the 1.4 million to at least 2.8 million so that would mean having to make the city bigger to hold all the jobs and space people need.

If it weren't for the airport directly near enought to the city we would have super tall skyscrapers but we can't as it blocks the air paths. (please not the airport and city was never like that and it wasn't intentionally like that)

So by faroff adelaide is well near enough possibly the 3rd greatest city of australia.

bdm
High Rise Poster!

Re: we already have it

#33 Post by bdm » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:19 pm

gregrogers257 wrote:
bdm wrote:
Will wrote: bdm, you have mentioned the phrase, "demand more" a lot of times before on this forum.

People in this city and state are seemingly content with the poor lot we have! Why aren't we screaming for population growth, economic growth, freeways, better public transport, more events? Why?
We already have good events, good economic growth, good population growth....
NO WE DONT. You seem to love the hype, and get caught up into it (crawf is especially guilty here). We have decent events, pathetic economic growth and pathetic population growth. Demand what you deserve.

mooshie
High Rise Poster!

#34 Post by mooshie » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:54 pm

bdm wrote:
Will wrote:
bdm wrote:I'm not. I love Adelaide, but she's not getting the attention she deserves.

Screw our government and anyone who doesn't demand more.
bdm, you have mentioned the phrase, "demand more" a lot of times before on this forum.

because we love it the way it is? I am currently living in Sydney due to work commitments and both cities have their positives, but i am sure as hell coming back to live in Adelaide as soon as possible. it's about lifestyle...

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#35 Post by Will » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:26 pm

I partially agree with bdm regarding our economic performance, however in regard to the population growth, when you compare SA to other first world countries, our population growth is definately not pathetic. Most if not all European countries have population growth of between 0-0.1% per annum. Some like Germany and Japan actually recorded negative growth. In that light our 0.8% does not appear that bad. I am confident that in about 4 years when our wine problems are over, and the new mines and defence industries start to open, our population growth may increase above 1.0%.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#36 Post by Pistol » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:34 pm

^^ It needs to for us to fill all of the jobs that are going to be available in the defence and mining industries or we will have a similar problem to Perth in a lack of skilled workers and too much work to go around. Apparently they are having kids drop out of school at record levels and record low levels of University placements cos these kids are attracted to this 'easy' money. Not good prospects for them in a decade or so. As Will suggests we will be in a lot better position in 4 or so years time when it is Adelaide's turn :D

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#37 Post by skyliner » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:28 pm

'Stop bagging Adelaide' - as a Brisbane resident but also having 12 years in Adelaide (and a great passion for it) may I add the followiing.

The negative garbage about Adelaide endures as a hangover from past times. (Reputations are hard to shift). The comments are even worse over here about Adelaide. I am constantly negating all such talk with info kindly contributed on this site by all you guys - but the attitude sticks. (and carries over into people's actions). As has been said, the attitude does come from the poor economic period Adelaide went through in the 1990's and has multiplied with the tranference of the idea.

I love the city. but I have not been impressed with the a seeming attitude of leave all as 'status que', This only helps satisfaction with a city that will date, get left behind, become irrelevantand have development blocked as a matter of course. This is often coupled with a later realisation of 'getting out before the ship sinks' .

Years ago. on a visit I was greatly disappointed at the dead 'feel' to the city - but not now - I was there from Jan1 - Jan9 this year and noted movement, life, direction and a cleaner, 'newer' impression.

HOWEVER, as is the case with economics (and all affected by such), cycles operate in conjunction with mineral finds, investment, changing culture etc. MY observance IS that Adelaide IS moving, AND at an accelerated rate - mainly based on ABS figures, economics and personal observation. The uranium developments coupled with all the building activity speak money spent where the confidence is. Adealde has

A. Excellent, speedy access in the metro areas (road) This makes it
user friendly and much more liveable than othe cities.
B. The earlier slower population growth allows Adelaide to learn
from the mistakes of other places (like Brisbane, which has
massive water shortages and big infrastructure and health
issues) and act now to avert the same.
C. It is not as hectic, stressful or pressured to live there.
D. It is not as expensive for housing and general living expenes.
E. Sure, many things like theme parks, some forms of nightlife and
entertainment may not be there, but think of the posibilities as
confidence picks up, especially when the CITY population picks
up - this can be done with expeerience observed from other
places.
F. The more conservative feel of the city does have a place, not
seen so much in other places.
G. Top airport - saw it on the 9th Jan on way to Brisbane. Good
entry advert. into Adelaide. (as will be the bus station). It's right
up there with Brisbane airport now, but better organised.

CARRY THE POSITIVE ATTITUDE - it is needed - negativity carries its own reward.

Anyway, enough! Thanks again for such an informative site on a sensational city!!!

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#38 Post by stelaras » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:32 am

Skyliner

Well Said!

As an ex Adelaidean who now lives in Melbourne, I have had to endure four years of grief from "eastern seaboard residents" about how "crap" and "backward" Adelaide is....

At first it was hard to argue with them as i wasnt informed.....Using this site iam better informed and am able to give people the facts...

However, I was surprised when I bought over a group of people from Melbourne and Sydney toward the end of last year to hear statements about how nice, how quaint and how relaxed everyone felt in Adelaide!

I took them to all the re-developed areas that i have read about here on this site...expecting to be bagged at every corner however, the bagging i expected never came! It was all positive and all nice!

My guests loved Glenelg we happened to go when it was full of people, they loved the feel of the place, loved the restaurants and paved walks along the shore...and their conclusion was that Glenelg was a mixture of St Kilda and Manly beaches!!

Henley square and Semaphore was a hit with them also and they loved Goolwa and Victor Harbour

My Guests loved the Gardens and around the city and felt that North Terrace Cultural strip was better than enything they had EVER seen from a building architecture perspective. They felt that Rundle Mall was busier, longer and more family friendly than Bourke Street Mall and loved how nice it felt to walk into the restaurant strip in Rundle Street!

My eastern seaboard guests loved King William road, Meblourne street and O'Connell street, they loved west lakes and the southern beaches expecially christies beach and Pt Noarlunga

It has taken a lot of arguments, and evidence to convince people in the eastern states that Adelaide is going places!

For once in my life....i visit my Home (Adelaide) and see it full of life! It is becoming a beautiful city with a great blend of new and old...the roads in and around are second to No other "large city"

The potential for Adelaide to Grow is huge...it is our turn now...

The mining and defence sectors will bring in more jobs, more people and importantly more money! more money will bring better and bigger buildings, better infrastructure and an even better quality of life!

At least thats my view!

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#39 Post by Howie » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:44 am

Nice one stelaras. I've had similar experiences as yourself trying to convince our eastern counterparts. Had a few mates from sydney recently who dropped by adelaide to pay me a little visit, and last thing they said to me was "I completely underestimated adelaide".

First stop was picking them up at the new adelaide airport which they all commented how beautiful it was, then it was off for a short drive to glenelg and dropping by semaphore. Quite surprised when i told them how much it was to live at glenelg, they thought it was excellent value for money as waterfront homes in sydney usually go for at least 4 million.

Then it was down the port river expressway, so i could show them what was happening at the port. Then back through to king william street stopping close to the festival theatre. From there on we walked on foot to rundle mall, and it happened to be a friday night. They just loved the shopping in the mall, and especially the feel of it all. Then we headed back via north terrace which was well lit up - they commented how culturally rich the city seemed and that the number plates that read "The Festival State" was well deserved.

The next day they went trekking up the adelaide hills, through to mount lofty summit. And the same night, they hit up hindley street. They asked "is it usually this busy?" - to which me and my friends replied, "no usually it gets alot busier than this", which was true as it was pretty awful weather.

Sunday was central market day, and some fine dining. They absolutely loved it and came back to sydney recommending adelaide as a holiday destination to all their friends.

stelaras
High Rise Poster!

#40 Post by stelaras » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:30 am

Great one Howie

In reading your comments i forgot to mention that my guests lalso oved Mount Lofty..We had an intimate dinner at a private room at the Mount Lofty House restaurant/Hotel...Awesome View and as nature would have it, the most spectacular lightning display across the foothills and over the valley....

They all loved the drive up!

I couldnt show them the airport as they all drove down.....But a few of them have flown in for business before and commented on the ease and comfort factor that the new airport provided...Specifically most of these guys loved the fact that the airport had free WiFi internet access anywhere! The only airport in the Australia and one of a handful of aiports worldwide to offer that!