[COM] Rundle Mall Redevelopment | $30m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: SOS for 'dying' Rundle Mall

#151 Post by AtD » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:22 am

AG wrote:The Advertiser is simply recycling old news now:
I wouldn't even call it recycled news. It's just garbage.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#152 Post by omada » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:54 pm

Yeah complete media "beat up", in my opinion the mall is quite successful, they just need to ensure the mix of retail fulfills a niche the other suburban megaplexes cannot offer - ie nightlife, high end fashion, interesting environment (public art etc).

Queen Anne
Donating Member
Donating Member

#153 Post by Queen Anne » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:30 pm

I feel like it's a media beat up too. The problem is, if they keep bringing it up we are going to end up with most people assuming Rundle Mall needs drastic "help".

The idea of covering the mall mystifies and worries me. What would be meant by an "all-weather covering" that is not a roof? I feel it is an especially problematic idea given that the wonderful Rundle Lantern is there.

The mall's outdoorness is its only real uniqueness. I think Omada is more on the money about what the mall needs. And beyond high-end fashion, how about giving some very small and quirky retail some help to get a foot in the door at the mall - is that feasible? Why does Ms Moran say a Renew Newcastle type idea is more for Hindley St than Rundle Mall?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#154 Post by AtD » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:07 pm

I think (hope) the mall covering comment was a throw away one liner. I'm not a fan of Ms Moran anyway. She only seems to say what she thinks will win her votes.

rubegoldbergdevice
Gold-Member ;)

#155 Post by rubegoldbergdevice » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:51 am

A beat up? A beat up is the only thing that can catch an Adelaidean's attention. That or something shiny.

It's The Bog Roll, so what do you expect? However, the core of what is being said here is true.

I'm quite amazed by how many people on this forum think Rundle Mall is fine and dandy as it is. If you like going to shitholes for a good time maybe, but it's an entirely unpleasant place to be (and that's not because it's "just a retail precinct"). It is unattractive, bland, and the paving is cheap, worn out and belies Adelaide's poverty mentality. The original red brick was better.

As I've said once before , Elizabeth St Mall in Hobart is an attractive, modest model that Adelaide can emulate and surpass. Also Queen St in Brisbane. People who say it is just a retail precinct and thereby imply it needs little attention are pretty narrow in their thinking and imagination. Yes you can shop there, but you potentially could do so much else, including just sitting and taking it all in. Try that now and you WILL punch a baby after a certain amount of time. It is literally the "shopfront" of the city and if that is unattractive, why would you enter the shop unless you really, really have to?

And why not cover parts of the Mall? Just parts? It could create some architectural interest as well as being a practical thing for wet weather and creating a different ambience. There need be no interruption of the view of Rundle Lantern. Silly argument.

As Ive also said before, the amount of cash being touted for Vic Sq (completely inadequate for such an important space) could be invested in Rundle Mall to great effect.

Anne Moran is a dickhead. Just sayin.

rubegoldbergdevice
Gold-Member ;)

#156 Post by rubegoldbergdevice » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:54 am

I worked the late night shopping shift last night and there were people everywhere!
Try any other evening and get back to me. If you haven't been knifed.

Queen Anne
Donating Member
Donating Member

#157 Post by Queen Anne » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:05 am

rubegoldbergdevice wrote:

And why not cover parts of the Mall? Just parts? It could create some architectural interest as well as being a practical thing for wet weather and creating a different ambience. There need be no interruption of the view of Rundle Lantern. Silly argument.
You can disagree without saying someone's thoughts are silly, ya know.

Imo, covering the mall is a knee-jerk, "We need to do something" response. I argue that this path would be one of the most highly unimaginitive ones we could choose. You can go to any shopping centre in Adelaide and shop in the same shops that are in Rundle Mall, and be under cover.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#158 Post by AtD » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:08 am

Personally I don't think the mall itself needs much, just the replacement of some pavers. The laneways around it are were the attention should be focused.

This is Elizabeth St Mall in Hobart. Sorry but Rundle Mall looks better.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#159 Post by Nathan » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:32 am

rubegoldbergdevice wrote:
I worked the late night shopping shift last night and there were people everywhere!
Try any other evening and get back to me. If you haven't been knifed.
Just a little melodramatic, don't you think?

Stubbo
Gold-Member ;)

#160 Post by Stubbo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:51 am

I work in the CBD and walk up and down Rundle Mall most days to catch the train. Some ideas that I think would be fantastic for the mall would be to first introduce more outside dining like Rundle Street where you can shop and then sit and eat instead of shopping, then having to walk a reasonable distance to find a nice place to eat that is not in a food court.

Second, you could place some of the mall undercover, for example a snaking structure that never completely encloses the mall to allow more sun and rain protection whilst still giving very good ventilation. It could be a point of interest if done well and it could also highlight the current (and hopefully some new) art installations.

Third, why not have a yearly art installation prize in the lead up to the Fringe to be installed by the end of the Fringe? Each year once it is all packed up it is boring, we could then have a visual reminder of years gone past... Or maybe a central point for this years winner with previous years moved to alternate locations within the city.

The paving patch up they attempted 6 months ago was very poor and resulted in most of the new pavers moving or cracking anyway. New flooring of some description is always at the mercy of the numerous delivery vehicles that go up and down in the morning and evenings. Some of these vehicles are quite large, some restriction on this would probably assist in keeping whatever the replacement paving (or whatever) in a good condition.

ChillyPhilly

#161 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:13 pm

I've yet to spend a 'long' time in Brisbane. But I am familiar with the Queen Street Mall, their version of Rundle Mall.

This shows how Rundle Mall could look if sheltered (bottom left), when open at night (bottom right) and during an ordinary day. The photo in the top right could almost certainly be mistaken for Rundle Mall, especially the 'intersection' of the strip and Gawler Place. It could also work with more cafes (top left).
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#162 Post by Vee » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:38 pm

Some good, positive suggestions for the Mall, Stubbo.
I like your ideas of more outside dining to encourage folk to linger longer, some (partial) undercover areas and your annual pre-Fringe art show to add extra interest. The outdoor dining areas need to be well positioned in the Mall and have visual appeal.

Thanks, ChillyPhilly for the photos of Queen Street Mall in Brisbane. They reminded me of the last time I was there and the same thoughts came to mind.
Their mall has more outdoor dining areas (not just places to sit and have a coffee) with interesting structures. They were having a heat of a competition for groups of school kids (late afternoon/early evening) doing dance routines in the Mall.
It was entertaining, attracting interest from passersby and obviously the competition lured extra people into the mall.

Increased numbers of residents in the city are essential and should help breathe more life into the city but the Mall needs to be more vibrant, especially in the evenings.
It also needs to capitalise on the tram extension and its increased patronage.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#163 Post by Prince George » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:59 pm

Neither of those malls (Queen St or Elizabeth St) looked any busier or livelier than Rundle Mall -- ok so they're just a couple of photos, but when I did an image search to see more, there wasn't anything that made me say "wow, they're doing so much better". Now, more dining along the mall would be a start, as would some after-hours places. But could we add those to the mall without hurting Rundle/Hindley St? Perhaps the fundamental intervention is adding a few thousand more people living in the city.

Nort

#164 Post by Nort » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:47 pm

Prince George wrote:Neither of those malls (Queen St or Elizabeth St) looked any busier or livelier than Rundle Mall -- ok so they're just a couple of photos, but when I did an image search to see more, there wasn't anything that made me say "wow, they're doing so much better". Now, more dining along the mall would be a start, as would some after-hours places. But could we add those to the mall without hurting Rundle/Hindley St? Perhaps the fundamental intervention is adding a few thousand more people living in the city.
Queen Street does always seem a bit busier than Rundle Mall, especially at night. Some of that can no doubt be put down to a larger population in Brisbane, but the food/entertainment venues are more centered around Queen Street. There are a variety of cafe stands and bars throughout the mall that attract attention in the early morning and late evening.

rubegoldbergdevice
Gold-Member ;)

#165 Post by rubegoldbergdevice » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:42 am

You can disagree without saying someone's thoughts are silly, ya know.
Yes. Except when the thoughts are actually silly.
This is Elizabeth St Mall in Hobart. Sorry but Rundle Mall looks better.
As I said, a modest example easily surpassed in Adelaide. It's the paving I'm interested in here. Design was by an artist. Makes for something interesting. Especially in Adelaide.
Just a little melodramatic, don't you think?
No.
Neither of those malls (Queen St or Elizabeth St) looked any busier or livelier than Rundle Mall -- ok so they're just a couple of photos, but when I did an image search to see more
Hobart is never busier than Adelaide because it's tiny, but Queen St in Brisbane always is busy, even at night. Queen Street, you must admit, looks much better than Rundle Mall and this is my point. Saying the place is "quite successful" is not good enough. It should be awesome to behold and awesome to be there. As it stands it is mediocre to behold and tolerable to be there. Mediocrity is worse than crap.

Excellent ideas Stubbo btw. This is the sort of social-based thinking the Mall needs, coupled with some considered and outstanding aesthetic appeal. Rundle Mall is at least as important to the city as North Terrace and whatever it is Victoria Square is hopefully destined to be.