Murray Bridge | Developments & News

Developments in Regional South Australia. Including Port Lincoln, Victor Harbor, Wallaroo, Gawler and Mount Barker.
The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Puzzle Park redevelopment

#106 Post by The Scooter Guy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:07 am

Has anyone found any pics of Puzzle Park?
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Big Daz
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Murray Bridge Jail

#107 Post by Big Daz » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:23 pm

Has anyone heard anymore about this, I was speaking to some locals who are in the loop with this and its all but been canned, mainly due to the cost and the fact there isn't much in the way of money.

Anyone know if this has indeed been shelved.

Hasn't stopped other development in the city, bit it seems the only increase at this stage will be houseing in the city, and industrial in the rural areas eg Monarto and the like.

Darren

Zills
Gold-Member ;)

Re: Murray Bridge Jail

#108 Post by Zills » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:11 pm

Kevin Foley announced some time early last year that it would be put on hold due to a budget blowout, i think the money had to be transferred to another infrastructure project, maybe so the desal plant could be brought forward? I vaguely remember something being said that the new prison would be on hold for 8-10 years...? I don't know for sure, it was a long time ago and theres nothing in the original thread about any of that..

original thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1889

rhino

Murray Bridge Development & News

#109 Post by rhino » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:51 am

New focus on building up the Bridge
Sheradyn Holderhead From: The Advertiser January 27, 2011 12:00AM
MURRAY Bridge Council will seek community views on the town's future as it plans a 3500-home development.

With the support of developer Burke Urban, the Murray Bridge Council has launched the community consultation project because it wants to ensure locals are happy with the development and the town's future direction.

The development is on an 853ha site south of the South-Eastern Freeway at Gifford Hill and is a joint venture between the Murray Bridge Racing Club and Burke Urban.

It includes the Murray Bridge racetrack and equine centre, allotments for horse trainers, large rural allotments, and medium-density housing in and around the village centre.

There will also be shops, a school, retirement village and recreation facilities. The project, titled "Imagine", comes as the Mt Barker community today takes its fight against development to Parliament House.

Groups will speak at a hearing of the Environment Resources and Development Committee, which is considering the controversial rezoning.

Murray Bridge Mayor Allan Arbon said Imagine would include community workshops from the end of February, led by Village Well, which worked on the Ararat Revitalisation Project in rural Victoria. He said the council wanted to understand community wants and needs as the area grew.

"Particularly with this development; it's a big one - potentially 10,000 people when it's finished - so it's going to be a big part of our community," he said. "It's far better that they're happy and we get their input now than when a decision has been made. We need to get it right ... it can be disjointed if we don't do it properly."

Burke Urban managing director Kym Burke said the development would provide for two decades of growth in Murray Bridge.

Murray Bridge residents and horse trainers Kym Buick and partner Trudy Robinson said while there had been some hesitancy from trainers, the new development had been generally well received.

"The council are being involved and they do want to know what everyone thinks," Mr Buick said. Ms Robinson said the couple and their son Ryder would probably move to the new development.
cheers,
Rhino

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Urban growth at Murray Bridge

#110 Post by Wayno » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:04 am

I believe 853 hectares is approx 8.5km x 1km (or just under 3km x 3km), which is about the size of central Murray Bridge - so a doubling in size!

Gifford Hill is here.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Waewick

#111 Post by Waewick » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:10 am

big development

it is too bad that there is no possibility of improved PT into the area to support it.

but I guess it needs to stand alone from emplyment requirements in Adelaide to be sustainable.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#112 Post by AG » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:40 am

Wayno wrote:I believe 853 hectares is approx 8.5km x 1km (or just under 3km x 3km), which is about the size of central Murray Bridge - so a doubling in size!

Gifford Hill is here.
That sounds about right. Murray Bridge currently has a population of about 15000, so 10000 over 20 years would be quite extraordinary growth for this town.

rhino

#113 Post by rhino » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:57 am

I would like to know what is going to sustain this growth. Any ideas?
cheers,
Rhino

Waewick

#114 Post by Waewick » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:25 pm

not a jail!

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#115 Post by Wayno » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:55 pm

rhino wrote:I would like to know what is going to sustain this growth. Any ideas?
growth? :?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

skyliner

#116 Post by skyliner » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:23 pm

Wayno wrote:
rhino wrote:I would like to know what is going to sustain this growth. Any ideas?
growth? :?
Only proximity to Adelaide. Getting an extra 10000 is a bit of an ask in that time frame. The area itself is very unattractive to me. If they can do it, great.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member

#U/C 'Murray Bridge Market Place' Shopping Complex

#117 Post by wilkiebarkid » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:04 pm

I'm not sure if this one has been posted before but it is well and truly under way and is supposedly a development in the vicinity of $94m.

The new "Murray Bridge Market Place" (name to be confirmed) will include:

A full size Big W
A full size Woolworths Supermarket
Dick Smith Electronics
BWS liquor
Two large format stores of approximately 1000 sqm
Approximately 50 specialty stores including food outlets
The new Murray Bridge Library
All within an air conditioned mall
900 undercover car parking spaces
(Information supplied by Fabcot/Woolworths)

The centre will generate over 1,000 full and part time jobs during the construction and operational phase, and the time line for this magnificent development is to commence early June with a completion date of late 2011.

Nick Abley, State Manager for Badge, the chosen construction company said,

"At Badge, we are all about exciting projects. Exciting jobs like this here in Murray Bridge inspire our people and at the same time, are growing a community. We've heard how excited the local public is for this particular project, and our experience means that we are set to successfully deliver on the community's expectations. It might sound cliché, but a project like this, really is exciting to us."

"Badge has significant experience in the construction, project and design management of the retail sector. In the last 26 years of operation, we have been involved in many landmark projects, with the Murray Bridge Market Place being no different. Working with a high profile client such as this is both challenging and rewarding - we look forward to finding both challenge and reward in the successful production of this project."

With a construction of such size it is also interesting to note the following:

Because of the sloping site, from the Northern corner the building will appear as only one storey high, whereas from the Southern corner it will be seen as 4 storey's high!
There will be 60,000m3 of soil removed from site. An Olympic Pool is 2500m3 so that means there will be 24 Olympic Pools of soil removed from site!
At completion, the building will be made of 2400 tonnes of structural steel. An adult male African elephant weighs 7000kg - so that's 342 elephants worth!

Quite an exciting development for the locals. Apparently the old Woolworths will continue to trade until its lease is up and then the old shopping centre will be redeveloped into a Coles complex. Info supplied by a local resident.

metro
Legendary Member!

Re: #U/C 'Murray Bridge Market Place' Shopping Complex

#118 Post by metro » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:40 pm

where abouts is it in MB?

wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member

#119 Post by wilkiebarkid » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:41 pm

metro wrote:where abouts is it in MB?
Here! Right in the Town Centre.

skyliner

#120 Post by skyliner » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:46 pm

Will be intersting to see what this does to the main St. - though I was never impressed by it anyway - too small. Will likely be a welcome development by most people there.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.