News & Discussion: National Broadband Network

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

News & Discussion: National Broadband Network

#1 Post by rhino » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:48 am

Haven't read much about the NBN in these forums (maybe I'm not looking in the right place?), but I figure it's infrastructure, so I'm putting this article here.

Fast broadband in Victor Harbor by March
MEREDITH BOOTH From: The Advertiser November 11, 2010 3:04PM
THE fibre optic "backbone" to deliver high speed broadband to Victor Harbor and the Riverland in South Australia would be completed March and September next year respectively, its builders say.
Nextgen Networks has reached the halfway mark of its 6000 km fibre optic rollout contract for Australia's Regional Backbone Blackspots Program, managing director Phil Sykes said.
"These network assets represent critical building blocks to Australia's emerging National Broadband Network,'' Mr Sykes said in a statement.
"This will provide the wholesale market with competitive, low cost, high speed backhaul capability to deliver exciting new broadband and content to 60 regional towns,'' he said.
Once completed, Melbourne-based Nextgen will be Australia's second largest operator of long haul fibre, the company said.
Shorter route backbones also are being rolled out between Melbourne and West Gippsland while longer routes incorporating Emerald and Longreach in Queensland, Darwin, Broken Hill in New South Wales and the Riverina in Victoria are all expected to be commissioned by September 2011.
cheers,
Rhino

Matt
Legendary Member!

Re: NBN News & Updates

#2 Post by Matt » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:27 am

Nice to see some positive coverage. The Australian's coverage (unsurprisingly) has been an absolute disgrace.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#3 Post by rev » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:53 pm

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/all-set-f ... 5974158506
Wholesale charges could translate to retail prices of between $53 and $58 a month for customers on the basic 12 Mbps service using 50GB a month, which would be at least $22 a month cheaper than the $80 now charged by internet service providers for the same speed and usage on copper wire ADSL2+.

Estimated retail prices become more competitive as hunger for broadband increases, with an expected $62 to $68 a month for a 25 Mbps/200GB service, compared with current $100 a month for the ADSL2+ equivalent .
What a load of poo. Where the hell do these so called journalists/reporters get their information from?

As an example, I'm paying $49 a month, ADSL2+, with 120gb of monthly downloads through TPG.
Their 200gb plan is going for $49 a month. It has replaced the 120gb plan I'm still on.
TPG also has an unlimited downloads ADSL2+ plan, for $59 a month.

If these prices are anywhere near accurate, I'm one person that wont be switching over.

I thought the NBN was meant to leave us better off with faster, cheaper Internet access? :?

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#4 Post by muzzamo » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:59 pm

rev wrote:If these prices are anywhere near accurate, I'm one person that wont be switching over.
Dont get your knickers in a knot, its going to be years until it runs past your house by which time a different set of NBN plans will be available.

Also as I understand it, you may not get a choice.

Omicron

#5 Post by Omicron » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:11 pm

I need to keep away from this thread, lest I get on my high-horse about the NBN and its delightful vindication of the stereotypical spend-a-thon model of the Labor Party.

Nort

#6 Post by Nort » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:14 pm

rev wrote:http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/all-set-f ... 5974158506
Wholesale charges could translate to retail prices of between $53 and $58 a month for customers on the basic 12 Mbps service using 50GB a month, which would be at least $22 a month cheaper than the $80 now charged by internet service providers for the same speed and usage on copper wire ADSL2+.

Estimated retail prices become more competitive as hunger for broadband increases, with an expected $62 to $68 a month for a 25 Mbps/200GB service, compared with current $100 a month for the ADSL2+ equivalent .
What a load of poo. Where the hell do these so called journalists/reporters get their information from?

As an example, I'm paying $49 a month, ADSL2+, with 120gb of monthly downloads through TPG.
Their 200gb plan is going for $49 a month. It has replaced the 120gb plan I'm still on.
TPG also has an unlimited downloads ADSL2+ plan, for $59 a month.

If these prices are anywhere near accurate, I'm one person that wont be switching over.

I thought the NBN was meant to leave us better off with faster, cheaper Internet access? :?
]

If they are doing a direct conversion of wholesale cost to retail prices then it's a pretty meaningless comparison.

Right now for example, it would cost TPG more than $49 a month to provide 200gb of downloads on ADSL2+, they are able to offer that pricing though because large numbers of customers on the plan won't use all the allocation.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by monotonehell » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:33 pm

Omicron wrote:I need to keep away from this thread, lest I get on my high-horse about the NBN and its delightful vindication of the stereotypical spend-a-thon model of the Labor Party.
Yes. Labor buys everything. The Libs sell everything.

Is there a party that doesn't take either extreme?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Benski81
High Rise Poster!

#8 Post by Benski81 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:28 am

monotonehell wrote:
Omicron wrote:I need to keep away from this thread, lest I get on my high-horse about the NBN and its delightful vindication of the stereotypical spend-a-thon model of the Labor Party.

And the bigger question: why is spending an inherently bad thing?

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by monotonehell » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:14 pm

Benski81 wrote:
monotonehell wrote:

And the bigger question: why is spending an inherently bad thing?
It actually isn't. As long as it's an investment. Also govt spending is not the same as household spending. Which is a misnomer that political spin doctors often employ.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

rhino

#10 Post by rhino » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:51 am

With regard to raising money to help Queensland fix their flood mess:

NBN delay not an option, says Australia's Prime Minister Julia Gillard
AAP January 28, 2011 10:45AM

PRIME Minister Julia Gillard says it would be unwise to delay the national broadband network (NBN) to fund the flood recovery.
The Federal Opposition and national retail body, the United Retail Federation are calling for the multi-billion dollar NBN to be put on hold as the nation budgets for rebuilding flood-damaged Queensland and Victoria.
But Ms Gillard told ABC Radio this morning the NBN was too important to the nation's future.
"The national broadband network is an investment we have made that is going to pay a return to taxpayers," Ms Gillard said.
"It is not money in the Government Budget that can be reallocated from the NBN to another purpose. That's not the way it works, it's an investment."
She said major infrastructure like the NBN was pivotal to maintaining a strong economy.
Regional communities hit badly by the flood will also benefit from the scheme, she said.
"When we look at what's happened in Queensland so much of the burden has been borne by regional centres in Queensland," Ms Gillard said.
"They're exactly the places and exactly the local economy that will benefit from the NBN.
"I'm not prepared to rob them of that."
cheers,
Rhino

Nort

#11 Post by Nort » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:40 pm

If anything the Queensland floods are a reason to bring forward NBN deployment schedules for the affected areas.

In many places the existing phonelines will be trashed and require replacing, may as well go straight to fiber rather than laying down temporary copper.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by fabricator » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:23 pm

Nort wrote:If anything the Queensland floods are a reason to bring forward NBN deployment schedules for the affected areas.

In many places the existing phonelines will be trashed and require replacing, may as well go straight to fiber rather than laying down temporary copper.
Not just the phone lines, some of the exchanges are destroyed as well, Toowomba I've heard had so much water inside that the electronics is beyond repair. 263 exchanges were 'red zone' or not safe to enter due to water levels inside creating the risk of electrocution.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

rhino

#13 Post by rhino » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:24 pm

State Government studies Willunga NBN business behaviour
MEREDITH BOOTH From: AdelaideNow February 16, 2011 11:27AM
WILLUNGA businesses are in the cross hairs of a State Government study on how the new NBN will impact productivity.

The National Broadband Network is already underway in Willunga, the first SA region to receive it, with people expected to be able to connect to faster broadband speeds by the end of the year.

The three-month study funded by the Information Economy Directorate and conducted by University of Sydney cultural analyst Dr Melissa Gregg, will report business expectations by May before a follow up on how companies use their faster-speed broadband once it becomes available at the end of the year.

"Willunga has a high proportion of ABNs for the population," Dr Gregg said, adding that the district encompassed blue collar workers, agribusinesses, tourism and professional services in the mix.

"At the moment there's a mixture of people in favour, they're glad that it's happening; and ambivilance," she said.

She said the NBN was likely to have more of an impact for the hidden businesses, off the main street.

"The State Government is investing in significant analysis and data to produce its own research to fudn out what's happening," Dr Gregg said.

Home-based Willunga business owner Linda Sanders, whose Oz Feathers products relies heavily on the internet for promoting and selling its display banners to Australian and global customers, welcomes faster broadband speeds.

"Because it's a technology we've not yet experienced we're not sure how many advantages there are. We don't know what we'll be able to do yet," Mrs Sanders said.

She expected faster broadband would allow her to liaise with any client and working on a banner in real time, online.

"We'll try anything if it increases productivity ... and reduces costs," she said.

Her 10-year-old business has moved from a part-time hobby to employing two full time staff and a contract seamstress.

Dr Gregg will hand her "Willunga Connects" report to the directorate in May.
cheers,
Rhino

rhino

#14 Post by rhino » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:01 pm

National Broadband Network builder suspends construction
AAP April 01, 2011 9:50AM

THE builder of the national broadband network has suspended its construction tender following concerns about value for money.

NBN Co head of corporate services Kevin Brown said the company would not build the network "at any price".

"We have thoroughly benchmarked our project against similar engineering and civil works projects in Australia and overseas and we will not proceed on the basis of prices we are currently being offered," Mr Brown said in a statement this morning.

"NBN Co is confident it can secure better value for money by going a different route."

Mr Brown said NBN Co had open the option of continuing negotiations at a later stage.

The government proposes to build a $36 billion optic fibre broadband network to 93 per cent of Australian homes, businesses and schools.

Mr Brown said NBN Co would change tack in arranging a builder for the broadband network.

"Today we are commencing discussions with an alternative different party about how to get the job done," he told the ABC.

Mr Brown said the prices on offer from a final list of five bidders was dearer than the NBN Co was prepared to pay.

"It was double digit above what we were expecting," he said.

"It is our view that having done extensive benchmarking about what a fair price is, we believe there is another way to get there."

Opposition broadband spokesman Malcolm Turnbull said NBN Co had no option but to suspend the tender process because putting optic fibre into every house in Australia was enormously expensive.

"I imagine they had no choice because the cost of this exercise appears to be well above even their high-end cost estimates," Mr Turnbull told ABC Radio.

That explanation was more likely than bidders trying to rip off the NBN Co, he said.

"It's easy to say price gouging, but what does that mean?

"It's a competitive market (and) there's a number of contractors that have been contacted.

"Normally competition gets you the best price."

Mr Turnbull said it wasn't necessary to run fibre into every home to ensure fast broadband access.

Broadband Minister Stephen Conroy was not immediately available for comment this morning.
cheers,
Rhino

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#15 Post by fabricator » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:52 am

Mr Turnbull is an idiot, this was a contract to build the 2nd stage of the network, which includes a lot of long haul backlinks from what I've read elsewhere.

Forget the media nonsense and read the original press release.
http://www.nbnco.com.au/wps/wcm/connect ... ender.html

All that has happened is the usual pricing increase that happens when you use the word 'tender' with respect to a large contract. It seems NBNco tried to pass some of the cost overrun risks to the contractors (not that I think there was much risk) and they responded by jacking up the price.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.