News & Discussion: Other Metropolitan Developments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Voice of the People
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Yatala to go for new homes

#526 Post by Voice of the People » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:16 pm

As to Yatala, I spoke to my pal at Planning SA. Holloway is waiting on a final report from a consultant before making a decision. They wouldn't name the consultant, but it may well be Connor Holmes, doing their neat trick of advising a consortium of developers and simultaneously advising Mr Holloway, yet avoiding any conflict of interest by some means known only to them but perfectly acceptable to the government.
This will form part of the new Ministerial DPA on the general area of Northgate and Oakden to rezone the Ross Smith site (and other former school sites for some bizarre reason), rest of Hillcrest Hospital, Strathmont Centre and bits of Hampstead Rehab Centre to become intensive residential - some of it will be added to the TOD list even though there are no plans for trains or trams to the area. Anyway, better hi density well planned on greenfield and redevelopment areas than hotchy potchy in current suburbia.

It is Connor Holmes and it will be released in March at the earliest.

Just a quick aside on the ALP - please see the quote I use at the bottom of my posts - that is the problem with the ALP nowadays, they've forgotten what they were really about, it is just all about the winning. Can anyone guesss from which book it came?
"Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of power is power."

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: General Suburban Projects & Discussion

#527 Post by AG » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:05 am

More upcoming subdivisions for AV Jennings and more sprawl.
AVJennings firmly back in the black after the GFC

* Maurice Dunlevy
* February 10, 2011 12:00AM

LISTED residential developer AVJennings has posted a solid $10.6 million half-year profit as the company continues to rebuild its business after the global financial crisis.

AVJ chief executive Peter Summers said yesterday that while the headline result was a big improvement over the previous corresponding period's $3.2m after-tax net profit, he was more pleased with a six-month improvement in the fundamentals of the business.

"We need to look beyond results and focus on the things that are driving those results," he said. AVJ, which did not have any significant writedowns during the GFC, returned to profit 12 months ago.

For the 2010 full year it recorded a profit of $9.6m.

For the latest half year, AVJ reported a 27 per cent fall in operating revenue, down from $137.3m to $100.2m, but will pay a 1c half-year dividend after not paying a dividend in the corresponding period last year.

Mr Summers described the half-year result, which included the addition of 2700 lots to AVJ's growing land bank, as the second stage in building long-term sustainable shareholder value and delivering improved returns.

"The first stage was heavily focused on capital management following changed debt market conditions flowing out of the GFC and addressing the loss-making contract building operation," he said. "Following the sale of the contract building division, the company has been able to move more strongly into the second stage of the process, which is to increase the focus on performance of its developments business which develops land, integrated housing and low-rise apartment projects."

AVJ completed a $21.3m sale of its troubled contract building division to Japanese company Sekusui House in August last year, but yesterday's results included a loss of almost $1m from the division, which typically built freestanding houses on land not owned by the company.

According to Mr Summers, half-year improvements came from improved systems and cost structures, as well as a replenished 11,500-lot land bank that is equal to five years of property sales.

Four new projects, totalling 2700 building blocks, were announced by AVJ in December.

The largest was at Penfield in Adelaide's outer north, where a joint venture with the South Australian government's Land Management Corporation will build about 1750 homes on a greenfield site.

The company has not given full-year guidance, but at last December's annual general meeting Mr Summers said he expected a strong result.

AVJ shares closed at 53c, up 10.4 per cent.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#528 Post by Mants » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:22 am

I keep forgetting to post this, but there is a tower crane somewhere within the Glenside Hospital site. Any idea what it's for?

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#529 Post by AG » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:11 am

Mants wrote:I keep forgetting to post this, but there is a tower crane somewhere within the Glenside Hospital site. Any idea what it's for?
http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... f=8&t=1038

Mants
Legendary Member!

#530 Post by Mants » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:08 pm

AG wrote:
Mants wrote:I keep forgetting to post this, but there is a tower crane somewhere within the Glenside Hospital site. Any idea what it's for?
http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... f=8&t=1038
yes, it's all well and good to post a link to a thread which hasnt been updated in the last 6 months except for once, pointing out the same point as i've just made. :roll:

Queen Anne
Donating Member
Donating Member

#531 Post by Queen Anne » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:12 pm

I hope this is in the right place..

I Was listening to ABC Adelaide this morning and the Unley mayor spoke about the plans for seven storey apartments along Greenhill and Unley Roads as part of the 30 year plan.

A lady from the Friends of the City of Unley Society (FOCUS) spoke and it sounds like they are not fans of this plan. She gave predictions of traffic chaos, for example..

A Lady from The Park Lands Preservation Association spoke about seven storey apartments along Greenhill Road, "Ruining our way of life"..

And a councillor from another council area called in, weirdly, to discuss our country's apparently too high immigration intake (in his opinion)..

The Unley mayor tried to talk about how we could work cooperatively to rejuvenate the city but judging by the speakers and callers, his council will be really up against it.

If there are any Unley rate payers/residents out there who would like to see this plan have a chance to develop, it might be good idea if you get onto the Unley Council website and voice your opinion. It seems they have a page for this discussion on their website but they didn't give the details on the radio.

I haven't posted for a while, I hope everyone is well :)
Last edited by Queen Anne on Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#532 Post by jk1237 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:37 pm

I believe these people are a vocal minority. I live in the Norwood/St Peters/Payneham Council and one day they rang me for a survey on what I would like to see the area develop into. I said more med and high density housing apartment towers in Kent Town. I said jokingly that I'm probably the only one in this council that wants that and the lady said no actually, so many people have said they want to see this

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#533 Post by SRW » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:35 pm

Thanks Queen Anne.

For other Unley residents, the page is: http://www.unley.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=773&c=17283
Keep Adelaide Weird

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#534 Post by crawf » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:24 pm

A Lady from The Park Lands Preservation Association spoke about seven storey apartments along Greenhill Road, "Ruining our way of life"..
Why is she even quoted in that article?

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#535 Post by Waewick » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:23 pm

so people shouldn't use the parklands and now shouldn't look at them

strange lady.

iTouch
Legendary Member!

#536 Post by iTouch » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:42 pm

capitalist wrote:so people shouldn't use the parklands and now shouldn't look at them
they also shouldn't breathe on them.
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

Voice of the People
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#537 Post by Voice of the People » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:04 am

That would be Kelly Henderson. Her point was that the high rise buildings detract from the parklands.

Even though I don't happen to agree on this occasion (I think the occasional high rise and the parklands across from them complement each other) please don't misquote as it devalues your argument.

If it wasn't for the Parklands being generally preserved as public open space, then the value for the adjacent land would be far less, IMHO.

This is one thing about Adelaide (and Canberra) planning that sets us apart as a positive.
"Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of power is power."

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#538 Post by Omicron » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:19 am

Nothing ruins parklands like overlooking multi-storey buildings.

OH MY EYES! HOW PAINFUL AND VEXATIOUS.

Voice of the People
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#539 Post by Voice of the People » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:49 am

Brilliant Omnicron!

Matt
Legendary Member!

#540 Post by Matt » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:57 am

Brilliant. :applause: