Glenelg Tourist Shipping Terminal

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Glenelg Tourist Shipping Terminal

#31 Post by Ho Really » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:57 pm

Splashmo wrote:Maybe we can take a step back and ask how we expect the appeal of the Glenelg beach and foreshore to be maintained if we have big ferries and ships rocking up, not to mention with all manner of cars, buses and trucks trying to access them?
That's why the EIS will be so important. In my vision the area that will be most affected will be Glenelg North (this is regardless of which plan I suggested). Let's forget about the traffic issues for a moment and concentrate on the environmental one. I can only assume that the beach from the Glenelg jetty to the marina will be enhanced as sand will accumulate even further than what you have now when there will be a much longer breakwater. This should result in Glenelg North to probably lose sand even further, unless it is replenished either by pumping or trucking (which would not be favourable with locals - but then again would trucks supplying the cruise ship and tour buses be more appealing?). As for traffic, depending on which side of the marina the terminal will be built, that will be the side that will cop the majority of vehicle movements. This doesn’t mean that the other side won’t get extra congestion. Look at what happens when a cruise ship (QM2 and the likes) comes and goes at Outer Harbour. These are real issues that may end this vision. Even if a cruise ship anchors out in the bay you still have to contend with pax movements in buses, taxis and limos.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#32 Post by AtD » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:59 am

In terms of visual impact: the ships and dock would probably need to be a fair way offshore, probably further than the old breakwater (which is over 500m out). Therefore the visual impact wouldn't be that bad IMO.

Sand movement: I'm no expert here but if the east-west running piers are on stilts, would it be ok? The sand moves north, doesn't it? I'm picturing breakwaters that are far from the coast and run north-south.

Heavy vehicle traffic: This is the reason I thought of the end of Anzac Hwy as the service vehicle access – they would be mostly unnoticed as they can go straight though Glenelg with little difficulty. This is the freest flowing road in Glenelg and the easiest route in and out.

Private vehicle traffic: Sorta like lighting a fire on the sun.

I admit this is pie in the sky stuff.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#33 Post by Ho Really » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:39 pm

AtD wrote:In terms of visual impact: the ships and dock would probably need to be a fair way offshore, probably further than the old breakwater (which is over 500m out). Therefore the visual impact wouldn't be that bad IMO.
To a certain degree, but you are still looking at a reasonably long wharf on the horizon (running between Jetty Road and ANZAC Highway) and then add a cruise ship that could tower up to 65 metres above water. When the ships are not there you still have a wharf permanently running parallel to the shore. Then you'd need a breakwater to protect the wharf from bad weather. The breakwater would be a big job and environmentally dangerous.

The pier (or finger wharf as they sometimes call them) will jut out to sea and be less obtrusive, but it will have more impact on the sand movement from south to north. This option works out better for a Monaco-style marina though.
Sand movement: I'm no expert here but if the east-west running piers are on stilts, would it be ok? The sand moves north, doesn't it? I'm picturing breakwaters that are far from the coast and run north-south.
The stilts is a better idea for this.
Heavy vehicle traffic: This is the reason I thought of the end of Anzac Hwy as the service vehicle access – they would be mostly unnoticed as they can go straight though Glenelg with little difficulty. This is the freest flowing road in Glenelg and the easiest route in and out.

Don't think any traffic will be unnoticed. Problem is when they get to the area around the Pier Hotel and the apartments next to the marina.
Private vehicle traffic: Sorta like lighting a fire on the sun.

I admit this is pie in the sky stuff.
I agree, you need to dream of these things and envision whether they are possible or not. Like I said somewhere else, if you don't ask the questions you won't know the answers. It is all good fun.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.