SA Budget 2016: Adelaide tramline to be extended to East End

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: SA Budget 2016: Adelaide tramline to be extended to East

#16 Post by The Scooter Guy » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:25 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:From the Advertiser:
Construction of new tram line to old RAH to start this year in $55m State Budget spend

CONSTRUCTION of a new tram line to the old Royal Adelaide Hospital site will begin this year, in a $55 million State Budget spend that kickstarts an extension to the eastern suburbs.

Premier Jay Weatherill has today announced the move, which comes as the State Government considers bids for a major revamp of the old RAH site when it empties next year.

The new RAH on the western end of North Tce is expected to open early next year, triggering the biggest moving house in SA history and the closure of the existing hospital.

Mr Weatherill said the tram extension would add three new stops on North Tce to service the universities and old RAH site, with future ambitions to go even further east.

The Government will contribute $50 million and Adelaide City Council $5 million.

At the federal election, Labor promised $500 million for Adelaide tram upgrades.

Mr Weatherill said the state’s Industry Participation Advocate will ensure as many local jobs and contractors as possible are used during construction of the one-kilometre extension.

A Registration of Interest for tenders as part of this stage will be called this week, with early works expected to commence in the last quarter of 2016, subject to the necessary approvals.

An artist’s impression of the tram extension on North Tce. Picture: Supplied

Mr Weatherill said the Government’s tram plans were “one of our state’s most exciting infrastructure projects” and would help develop a “modern, vibrant and liveable city”.

“As we have seen with the development of the city’s western Riverbank Precinct, this extension will also help to reactivate vacant sites, including key buildings along North Terrace,” he said.

Treasurer Tom Koutsantonis said he was “committed to investing in public transport”

“This tram extension along North Tce is also an investment in SA jobs,” he said. “We will ensure as many local jobs and contractors as possible are used during the project.”

An artist’s impression of the tram extension on North Tce. Picture: Supplied

Lord Mayor Martin Haese said the project would leverage more investment in the city.

“This financial commitment can help the future of the old RAH site, support the East End and encourage activation on the southern side of North Tce,” he said.

“This project will connect some of North Terrace’s most prominent institutions including the State Library, South Australian Museum, Art Gallery, Anzac Centenary Memorial Walk,

University of Adelaide, University of South Australia and the Adelaide Botanic Garden.”

Opposition Leader Steven Marshall said the Liberals offered bipartisan support for a new tram to the East End.

The Opposition have called for spending on new productive infrastructure in Thursday’s State Budget, which will create jobs in the building phase and increase economic capacity.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 96e1c92e90
HUZZAH!
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

ghs

#17 Post by ghs » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:53 pm

So they're now putting in all the tramlines which were removed 60 years ago.

Why didn't they just leave the tramlines in ?

Algernon

#18 Post by Algernon » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:01 pm

Bit of a nothing extension to a hospital that will be closed before they finish it. Will be worthwhile if they continue to the Parade.

At least the land value under the proposed 36 storey Frome St tower will rocket.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#19 Post by SRW » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:36 pm

Algernon wrote:Bit of a nothing extension to a hospital that will be closed before they finish it. Will be worthwhile if they continue to the Parade.

At least the land value under the proposed 36 storey Frome St tower will rocket.
There are still multiple other institutions as well as the East End precinct that will guarantee patronage.
Keep Adelaide Weird

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#20 Post by fishinajar » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:39 pm

SRW wrote:
Algernon wrote:Bit of a nothing extension to a hospital that will be closed before they finish it. Will be worthwhile if they continue to the Parade.

There are still multiple other institutions as well as the East End precinct that will guarantee patronage.
Guys a huge part of the reason would be to drive value and take-up in the area when the hospital leaves.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#21 Post by AG » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:53 pm

As much as I'd like the see the tram network extended, I am not seeing the value in this piddly little extension on its own. It really needs to go further than the East End to be of any real use, and will make operations of the existing light rail network awkward in the process.

If the extension gets served by trams coming in from Glenelg, the existing route from Adelaide Railway Station to the Entertainment Centre will see reduced frequencies. If the extension is run as a West Terrace to East Terrace shuttle, it simply parallels existing bus routes which run along North Terrace.

Patrick_27

#22 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:15 pm

ghs wrote:So they're now putting in all the tramlines which were removed 60 years ago.

Why didn't they just leave the tramlines in ?
There were a multitude of reasons for removing the network, ultimately financial losses coupled with the lack of maintenance (mostly due to inability to acquire new rolling stock post-war) left the network dilapidated and under patronised. Gradually lines were being converted to the trolley bus system which was popular and easier to maintain, eventually the tram system was seen to be obsolete, hence it's removal. Whereas in Melbourne, their network had seen significant investment pre-war (during the depression) which had allowed it to preserver for longer (post-war) until such time as $$ and rolling stock were available. That's my understanding of it, anyway... I welcome the reintroduction, I find trams to be quieter and tidier than buses.

Patrick_27

#23 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:19 pm

AG wrote:As much as I'd like the see the tram network extended, I am not seeing the value in this piddly little extension on its own. It really needs to go further than the East End to be of any real use, and will make operations of the existing light rail network awkward in the process.

If the extension gets served by trams coming in from Glenelg, the existing route from Adelaide Railway Station to the Entertainment Centre will see reduced frequencies. If the extension is run as a West Terrace to East Terrace shuttle, it simply parallels existing bus routes which run along North Terrace.
I agree, though dare I say it, this announcement is merely one awaiting an election result. If Labor win the federal election we'll likely see their pledged $500m go towards either the city loop or EastLINK extension.

Waewick

#24 Post by Waewick » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:27 pm

I think it's a good start regardless of who wins the election. Doing things as we can afford them isn't a bad thing.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#25 Post by how good is he » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:32 pm

So my guess is the 3 stops on the median strip prob. where traffic lights are so opp. Gawler Pl/War memorial, Adelaide Uni/Pulteney St and old RAH/Botanic Gdns. So is any future extension likely a right hand turn along East Tce to either Rundle Rd or Bartels (& Flinders St) to the Parade?

ml69
Legendary Member!

#26 Post by ml69 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:35 am

how good is he wrote:So my guess is the 3 stops on the median strip prob. where traffic lights are so opp. Gawler Pl/War memorial, Adelaide Uni/Pulteney St and old RAH/Botanic Gdns. So is any future extension likely a right hand turn along East Tce to either Rundle Rd or Bartels (& Flinders St) to the Parade?
Rundle Rd makes more sense as a Parade connection .... wider and more direct.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#27 Post by monotonehell » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:16 am

AG wrote:As much as I'd like the see the tram network extended, I am not seeing the value in this piddly little extension on its own. It really needs to go further than the East End to be of any real use, and will make operations of the existing light rail network awkward in the process.

It's a two fold thing I think.

1. Since the results of the first extension, the government has viewed a tram line as a magic brush which they can paint along a road to increase development investment. - The old RAH site needs all the help it can get.
2. This is just a first step in a staged extension out to the Parade. Most probably via Rundle Road Kent Town.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#28 Post by I Follow PAFC » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:21 am

Tenders of interest for tram-line extension, this week. Works to begin later this year.
https://twitter.com/9NewsAdel/status/750249534404440064
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#29 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:57 am

Like the 'tram to nowhere' in 2006 that was extended and became very popular I guess :roll:

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#30 Post by fishinajar » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:14 pm

Brucetiki wrote:

Like the 'tram to nowhere' in 2006 that was extended and became very popular I guess :roll:
Exactly! :cheers: