News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
prometheus2704
Gold-Member ;)

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#2506 Post by prometheus2704 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:17 pm

Pure speculation on my part but I suspect it might be single track to from the start of Rundle Road (or Rundle Street, Kent Town) to Norwood Place with a centre platform double track terminus.
Why?
-It's approximately 6 mins by car from Norwoof Place to the current Old RAH stop following the proposed route. Running trams at 10 minute intervals would only require passing on either Rundle Road or (if poorly scheduled) at the terminus.
-less interruption to existing traffic on streets that many people consider "too narrow" to take double tracked trams
-Stops could be double sided allowing boarding through all doors along the section

The future extension could then be single track for the next 5-10 minute period of travel time to the next temporary terminus etc.

Haso
High Rise Poster!

#2507 Post by Haso » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:24 pm

rubberman wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:55 am

Most wire free systems are presently hugely expensive, or have other disadvantages like loooong waits at charging points, or locking into a particular supplier.....
Things are changing…
Much like in Seville but on much, much larger scale, Kaohsiung (Taiwan) have trams without overhead lines. It’s 20 km route. Their (CAF) trams are recharging their super-capacitors at stops via pantograph. It takes only 30 seconds to recharge and they can run 3-5 km. Auckland among others options are considering similar system but from Guangzhou (China). Auckland mayor has visited Guangzhou and he is happy with the system, and according to him that system might be cheaper than other options...

Tram in Kaohsiung

CAF video about tram in Kaohsiung
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IbrdDA ... e=youtu.be
and yes... I do like overhead wires.Image
Last edited by Haso on Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#2508 Post by Goodsy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:26 pm

I hope I wouldn't be considered an outcast if I said I like the look of the overhead wires

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2509 Post by Waewick » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:34 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:I'm surprised by this as I would have thought the CBD loop which might have cost the same would have made more sense to Labor who are trying to snatch up the Adelaide electorate. Don't know how I feel about the incomplete extension to Norwood Place, though. Also, interesting that the artist impression shows centred stations...
This is to get Marshalls seat.

It will be interesting how this is recieved. I know feedback in the eastern courier was hugely negative.

prometheus2704
Gold-Member ;)

#2510 Post by prometheus2704 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:39 pm

Video on Stephen Mullighan's Facebook page has been uploaded: https://www.facebook.com/StephenMulligh ... 314232176/

It only shows the terminus at Norwood Place (as I suggested a centre platform) but it doesn't reveal whether the plan is dual or single track to the west. You can also see that road widening will probably occur too, decreasing footpath space, at least at the stop location.

Is this just a cut from an earlier video proposing the full AdeLink??

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#2511 Post by timtam20292 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:48 pm

I've never seen that video until now so I'd say it's new.

greenknight
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2512 Post by greenknight » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:54 pm

> Is this just a cut from an earlier video proposing the full AdeLink??

Nope. The video proposing the full AdeLINK was this one -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrNj7b6HNBI where they didnt really show much, stills were also produced at around the same time for the different lines.

Since that video was released in 2013, DPTI have done an animation for North Tce Extension -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtdAdGMYAPQ and a few more stills... but no other animations.

metro
Legendary Member!

#2513 Post by metro » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:10 pm

metro wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:33 pm
On the topic of where next for the trams.. I'm guessing an election announcement of a Norwood tram along The Parade, maybe built in 2 stages: stage 1 to Kent Town and stage 2 to Norwood Town Hall. Norwood is a marginal and the State Opposition leader's own electorate. :lol:
Called it :wink:

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2514 Post by SRW » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:12 pm

Will we need more trams to operate this extension, or are the recently acquired Citadis enough?
Keep Adelaide Weird

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#2515 Post by timtam20292 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:15 pm

ABC news reporting that 4 more trams will be purchased.
The Government said it would also purchase four new trams to help service the expanded network, with trams to run every 10 minutes along the new route.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-25/l ... od/9482618

[Shuz]

#2516 Post by [Shuz] » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:16 pm

Says will need 4 more new trams.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

SBD

#2517 Post by SBD » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:16 pm

prometheus2704 wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:39 pm
Video on Stephen Mullighan's Facebook page has been uploaded: https://www.facebook.com/StephenMulligh ... 314232176/

It only shows the terminus at Norwood Place (as I suggested a centre platform) but it doesn't reveal whether the plan is dual or single track to the west. You can also see that road widening will probably occur too, decreasing footpath space, at least at the stop location.

What I noticed on first viewing was the disposition of the people on the platform at the terminus. The tram from Adelaide pulls in and there are two or three people waiting to get on, and about fifteen waiting on the other side for the platform for the Adelaide-bound tram. I don't know where they think it is going to come from!

It must be tough being the artist for these kinds of impressions and animations, they get criticised a lot more often than they ever get praised.

prometheus2704
Gold-Member ;)

#2518 Post by prometheus2704 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:21 pm

SBD wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:16 pm
prometheus2704 wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:39 pm

What I noticed on first viewing was the disposition of the people on the platform at the terminus. The tram from Adelaide pulls in and there are two or three people waiting to get on, and about fifteen waiting on the other side for the platform for the Adelaide-bound tram. I don't know where they think it is going to come from!

It must be tough being the artist for these kinds of impressions and animations, they get criticised a lot more often than they ever get praised.
Don't forget to notice that one set of doors would open in the garden if this animation were an accurate reflection :lol:

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#2519 Post by adelaide transport » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:52 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:16 pm
Says will need 4 more new trams.
And which Depot will they be berthed at when not in service?
Glengowrie is pretty full now. I can't see trams running " Not in Service" to/from Glengowrie to Norwood!
And where might these 4 "new " trams come from? Surely not 4 ex Madrid 10 year old stored trams?

ml69
Legendary Member!

#2520 Post by ml69 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:21 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:01 pm
I'm surprised by this as I would have thought the CBD loop which might have cost the same would have made more sense to Labor who are trying to snatch up the Adelaide electorate. Don't know how I feel about the incomplete extension to Norwood Place, though. Also, interesting that the artist impression shows centred stations...
Like others have said, this Norwood extension is purely for political purposes only. I know that is what election promises are all about, but I think it sucks.

For a similar spend of $280M, you could just about complete the city tram loop which would have massive benefits for the CBD in terms of expanding residential population, allowing convenient daily travel for workers, visitors and students through the city, and be a boon for tourists. There would be a massive injection of private investment in city apartments, increasing vibrancy.

A partly complete tram extension to Norwood will not achieve anywhere near the benefits of a completed CBD tram loop.

Eventually the Norwood tram should be done, but surely it's a lower priority.