COM: Glenelg Entertainment Complex

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Glenelg Entertainment Complex (New Magic Mountain)

#256 Post by rhino » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:29 am

Xaragmata wrote: people around enjoying the hot summer nights instead of sweltering in unairconditioned homes.
And this is the reason they worked so well back then and not now. It's too easy to spend that hot summer evening in the lounge room with the aircon and a DVD instead of going out. Mum and Dad have both worked 10-hour days instead of just Dad working 8 hours, and they're too stuffed to take the kids to the sideshows. Slap a DVD in the box and sit down. As for the teenagers, unfortunately I think Omi has come pretty close to the truth.
cheers,
Rhino

hillier51
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#257 Post by hillier51 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:35 am

I can assure everyone The Beachouse does very well and it will provide the next owner with a rich a rewarding lifestyle. The Rimingtons have never recovered from the initial outlay to build the place and have other business ventures that have seen problems and no doubt robed Peter (The Beachouse) to pay Paul. A few other stupid things have been done but they don't need to be mentioned on here. Of course it's a type of business that drops off in the colder months but the summer turnover alone would put most local business' yearly turnover to shame. Don't write this place off, it's here to stay. Lets just hope it's better Managed this time. MAKE THE FUN CARD FREE would be a good start.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#258 Post by Prince George » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:39 pm

I'm surprised that it's viable for any private owner to make an entertainment centre down at Glenelg, simply because of the land cost. When we were on a road-trip, we passed a few "Boondocks Fun Centers" that really were built out in the boondocks where the land was cheap. This location is about as prime as it gets in Adelaide and that small parcel costs a fortune to purchase even before you've developed it. To make sense of that you either have to charge a fortune or have a huge volume of people through.

It seems to me that if Glenelg really wants a ferris wheel, games pavilion, or even cinema, the council might have to operate it themselves, perhaps at a loss, as an attraction to draw more people into the area.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#259 Post by muzzamo » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:47 pm

Prince George wrote:I'm surprised that it's viable for any private owner to make an entertainment centre down at Glenelg, simply because of the land cost. When we were on a road-trip, we passed a few "Boondocks Fun Centers" that really were built out in the boondocks where the land was cheap. This location is about as prime as it gets in Adelaide and that small parcel costs a fortune to purchase even before you've developed it. To make sense of that you either have to charge a fortune or have a huge volume of people through.
Unless of course they didn't pay commercial rates for the land.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#260 Post by Brando » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:46 pm

hillier51 wrote:I can assure everyone The Beachouse does very well and it will provide the next owner with a rich a rewarding lifestyle. The Rimingtons have never recovered from the initial outlay to build the place and have other business ventures that have seen problems and no doubt robed Peter (The Beachouse) to pay Paul. A few other stupid things have been done but they don't need to be mentioned on here. Of course it's a type of business that drops off in the colder months but the summer turnover alone would put most local business' yearly turnover to shame. Don't write this place off, it's here to stay. Lets just hope it's better Managed this time. MAKE THE FUN CARD FREE would be a good start.
Sounds like you know what your talking about and warranted from the date you joined the forum, welcome by the way.

Are you aware of any potential buyers that will take on this project?

how_good_is_he
High Rise Poster!

#261 Post by how_good_is_he » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:22 pm

hillier51 - Are you certain the land the beachouse is on is not owned by the govt or council [with a 99 year lease or something to the operator]? I thought the council tried to use this as leverage with the Magic Mountain re-development saga to stop the development. Isnt the Surf Lifesaving land also owned by council?

hillier51
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#262 Post by hillier51 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:58 pm

Brando - Thanks for the Welcome! Yes I do know a bit about this topic.
Re the sale, A few people sniffing around, I have my money on a young Adelaide business lad.

how_good_is_he - Yes I'm 100% sure. The land is Owned not leased by Rimington Group and it has been owned by them since Magic Mountain days.
Very strict development rules apply.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#263 Post by crawf » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:25 am

I wasn't a great fan of this idea... but now I seriously think they should replace that hideous eyesore ferris wheel with a 50 or 60m wheel, it would have great views of the ocean, surrounding area, city skyline and hills. Though it must have a modern and appealing design compared to the piece of junk thats currently there.

It would be a major drawcard for Glenelg and Adelaide.

Plus I know it would have no hope in hell of being approved by the very conservative Holdfast Bay Council, but hopefully it would have some of luck with the State Government.

my :2cents:

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#264 Post by ghs » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:37 pm

crawf wrote:I wasn't a great fan of this idea... but now I seriously think they should replace that hideous eyesore ferris wheel with a 50 or 60m wheel, it would have great views of the ocean, surrounding area, city skyline and hills. Though it must have a modern and appealing design compared to the piece of junk thats currently there.

Plus I know it would have no hope in hell of being approved by the very conservative Holdfast Bay Council, but hopefully it would have some of luck with the State Government.

Mate, after all the hassle they've gone through with the existing one, they're not going to pull out of it and build a new one.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#265 Post by pushbutton » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:45 pm

I don't think they would either, but it's a real shame they didn't think it through properly in the first place.

The half-built, never opened ferris wheel that is there is a major embarrassment, partly because it still hasn't opened after all this time, but also partly because of its very very poor design and pathetic small size. Shameful!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#266 Post by crawf » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:34 am

ghs wrote:
crawf wrote:I wasn't a great fan of this idea... but now I seriously think they should replace that hideous eyesore ferris wheel with a 50 or 60m wheel, it would have great views of the ocean, surrounding area, city skyline and hills. Though it must have a modern and appealing design compared to the piece of junk thats currently there.

Mate, after all the hassle they've gone through with the existing one, they're not going to pull out of it and build a new one.
I know, but one can dream..

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#267 Post by JamesXander » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:41 pm

My brain works in mysterious ways. First I am angry, The Beach House is just an arcade place and a shitty play ground for 2year olds. It was a complete and utter let down. Glenelg appeals to everyone. We should have gotten rollercoasters, waterslides, bigger ferris wheels & Arcade games.

Then it gets me angry that they are losing money, even though its shit, its the only thing we have left. FFS I even went on their pissy waterslides and kinda had fun. No one can do anything right when it comes to appealing to the young.

But then you look around the country. NSW their main theme park closed down (cant remember the name), Sega World closed down. Dazzleworld etc.

My idea, use the beachhouse for say another 5-10 years. Knock it down, rename it Luna Park- Adelaide. Have rollercoasters, have waterslides, have a hall of mirrors, have a tourist ride (like at Sydney tower...the lame 'Australia' ride), have arcade games, and have random carnival rides (like at the show, so then they can replace them every 6 months or so)

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#268 Post by rogue » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:15 pm

It appears that the administrators have brokered a deal that will see this saved. The site has been bought by the Taplin Group, but will be leased back to the current operators on a 40 year deal.

gewgaw64
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#269 Post by gewgaw64 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:18 pm

Hey guys,

The Beachouse is not losing money. It went into receivership due to the financial costs of buying magic mountain, building the beachouse, building the ferris wheel as well as other business ventures. It was always known that it would be a long time before the Rimington Group would start making money out of the business.

The land that The Beachouse is on, as well as the building itself has definitely been sold to the Taplin Group. The Rimington Group has secured a 40 year lease and will continue to run the business.

As for the ferris wheel, I like the design! Except for the ugly ramp thing that they threw in front of it.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#270 Post by monotonehell » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:26 pm

Compare:
gewgaw64 wrote:The Beachouse is not losing money....
With:
gewgaw64 wrote:...It went into receivership...
You can't have one without the other. :?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.