Housing Developments | Northern Suburbs

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Housing Developments | Northern Suburbs

#496 Post by Nathan » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:54 am

It's a terrible plan. This isn't the 1950's, and the negatives of this kind of sprawl are well known. Unfortunately, I think we have the majority of local councils to blame for this. Rau and the government have been trying to increase heights and density but have been met by extremely un-cooperative councils who prefer to keep the status quo.

By the way, at $1.2b, that's slightly more than what they're investing in Bowden… some priorities are off there.

ChillyPhilly

#497 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:30 pm

Nathan wrote:It's a terrible plan. This isn't the 1950's, and the negatives of this kind of sprawl are well known. Unfortunately, I think we have the majority of local councils to blame for this. Rau and the government have been trying to increase heights and density but have been met by extremely un-cooperative councils who prefer to keep the status quo.

By the way, at $1.2b, that's slightly more than what they're investing in Bowden… some priorities are off there.
It's a simple matter of a financial donation by a developer to the South Australian branch of the ALP. Not only does money talk, but it buys approvals too.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

#498 Post by Torrens_5022 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:29 pm

claybro wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:Vehemently against this. The urban sprawl has got to stop immediately.

I am learning so much in my urban planning course and one thing that I am picking up on is just how environmentally , socially, and even economically devastating urban sprawl is to communities, biodiversity, agricultural land, social wellbeing, etc.

No to Two Wells, no to Roseworthy, no to Buckland Park, no to Angle Vale, just no, no, no.
Could not agree more Shuz! The other day, driving through the back of Port Adelaide it struck me how much vacant land and old warehousing areas are just sitting idle. All of this sitting on already developed infrastructure, such as water, sewerage , rail transport. But we cant develop the port further due to the fertilizer bomb across the river. How about spending some money moving the fertilizer factory and the cement factory to a country port (Port Pirrie)? and get the developers to spend the 1.2 billion in redeveloping the port with thousands of houses, townhouses and apartments. Some SMALL SCALE developments could then also be allowed immediately adjacent to existing country towns such as Roseworthy and Two Wells to help maintain those centres.
The industry at Port Adelaide should be moved somewhere - but moving it too a country city of 15,000 people which already has a lead smelter, seems like poor planning. Maybe move the fertilizer plant, concrete works and lead smelter to purpose built industrial park with access to a port. Then urban infill can happen at Port Adelaide and if the industrial park was near the iron triangle growth of those cities could also occur.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#499 Post by Hooligan » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:29 pm

But it has a world class playground!

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

claybro

#500 Post by claybro » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:51 pm

Torrens_5022 wrote:The industry at Port Adelaide should be moved somewhere - but moving it too a country city of 15,000 people which already has a lead smelter, seems like poor planning. Maybe move the fertilizer plant, concrete works and lead smelter to purpose built industrial park with access to a port. Then urban infill can happen at Port Adelaide and if the industrial park was near the iron triangle growth of those cities could also occur.
Only suggested Pirrie due to its ready made major port, and industrialised workforce. As for the lead smelter, I am not sure the future of this is so certain. I need to also clarify, my intention would not be to move ALL industry from the Port lest it became too sanitised, merely the large, dangerous, polluting explosive plants that pose a risk to any future development.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#501 Post by Goodsy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:13 am

Pretty picture

Last edited by Goodsy on Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dvious
Legendary Member!

#502 Post by Dvious » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:23 am

Got to love me some more urban sprawl!

[Shuz]

#503 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:27 am

Little boxes, on the hillside, little boxes, made of ticky tacky.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Nathan

#504 Post by Nathan » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:52 am

Almost a perfect re-creation of 1950s suburban planning. All it's missing are the cul-de-sacs.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#505 Post by rev » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:22 pm

Actually from that artists impression, they look like larger blocks then the regular housing developments.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#506 Post by monotonehell » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:21 pm

[Shuz] wrote:Little boxes, on the hillside, little boxes, made of ticky tacky.
Some days I love you, Shuz.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#507 Post by Goodsy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:22 pm

rev wrote:Actually from that artists impression, they look like larger blocks then the regular housing developments.
1200sqm to 1 hectare

MessiahAndrw
High Rise Poster!

#508 Post by MessiahAndrw » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:26 am

More disgusting, ugly, suburban hell. Two Wells has the power to turn itself into something unique. A small compact, walkable, town - it would attract people from all over for those wishing to escape automobile dependency for something more pleasant.
My blog on urban design: http://www.andrewalexanderprice.com/blog.php

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#509 Post by rev » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:22 pm

MessiahAndrw wrote:More disgusting, ugly, suburban hell. Two Wells has the power to turn itself into something unique. A small compact, walkable, town - it would attract people from all over for those wishing to escape automobile dependency for something more pleasant.
Sounds like you want to escape the automobile dependent suburban hell...you moving to Two Wells any time soon?
Maybe we should go back to horse drawn carts, and limit all developments to a single story, if they really need to be above ground, otherwise they absolutely must be underground dwellings with a parkland on top.

:roll:

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#510 Post by monotonehell » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:12 am

rev wrote:
MessiahAndrw wrote:More disgusting, ugly, suburban hell. Two Wells has the power to turn itself into something unique. A small compact, walkable, town - it would attract people from all over for those wishing to escape automobile dependency for something more pleasant.
Sounds like you want to escape the automobile dependent suburban hell...you moving to Two Wells any time soon?
Maybe we should go back to horse drawn carts, and limit all developments to a single story, if they really need to be above ground, otherwise they absolutely must be underground dwellings with a parkland on top.

:roll:
MessiahAndrw made a good point about suburbia being isolating and car reliant. You offer nothing but hollow hyperbole. What is your point?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.