News & Discussion: Other Metropolitan Developments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: General Suburban Projects & Discussion

#496 Post by Omicron » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:06 pm

AtD wrote:Three stories for the corner of Moseley Square is a huge under-utilisation of space. It's a pity the $10m rule doesn't apply to Holdfast Bay. :?

Being an apartment block, it's probably going to be strata title, so it'll be a bitch to demolish.
It's such a waste. I guarantee you, too, that people will move in and immediately begin complaining about the noise. I cannot understand Holdfast Bay for the life of me - they only permit multi-storey apartments right near the major sources of noise, and then tut-tut at the pubs when residents jabber about all this unexpected noise.

If I had a dollar for every time I walked past a site in Glenelg that is perfectly located for mid/high-rise development but where only a ghastly three storey box has been approved, I'd have enough to buy the Council and take over the whole thing. Why on earth buildings on Anzac Highway from Brighton Road to the foreshore aren't allowed to go higher is beyond me - it's far enough away from Moseley Square to minimise noise complaints, access is impossibly straightforward, the streets are wide enough to give breathing space etc. But no - instead we get ground-level offices, a hardware store, a used car dealer and real-estate agents.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: General Suburban Projects & Discussion

#497 Post by Omicron » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:08 pm

Will wrote:Another small, yet interesting development for Adelaide's south-west suburbs.

Lumina Apartments
Spanning four levels, using innovative materials in its build and displaying a striking design style, Lumina Apartments in Adelaide's Somerton Park presents a picture of contemporary, visual harmony that you will be proud to call your home for your retirement. Choose from a selection of 1,2 or 3 bedroom apartments, ranging in size from 80 to 120 sqm, all with open-plan kitchens and dining rooms that fill your new home with natural light and space.

Each of the southern ground floor apartments feature courtyard gardens, while generously sized balconies offer fantastic outside living opportunities for those apartments on the upper levels of the development, all of which have direct lift access from the lower levels and car park. Your apartment will be your own private oasis of space, where comfort, tranquillity and security combine to let you live your retirement to the fullest. Each apartment has a neutral colour palette that can be changed or adapted with colour options to ensure your new apartment suits your individual style.
I've long wondered what the view of the CBD would be like from the top-floor of the central building at Masonic.

Voice of the People
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: #UC: Lightsview (Hampstead urban renewal)

#498 Post by Voice of the People » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:51 pm

Taking a look on Nearmap really shows how narrow some of the streets in and around the new development are.
Such widths are generally achieved through the miracle of 'roll over kerbing' and a prohibition of front fences.[/quote]

Won't be roll over kerbing in Northgate, and front fences are allowed - just check out City View Boulevard.
"Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of power is power."

Voice of the People
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: #UC: Lightsview (Hampstead urban renewal)

#499 Post by Voice of the People » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:01 am

[quote="monotonehell"][quote="Voice of the People"]As someone intricately involved in the planning policy development of our fair city but requiring anonymity due to my role quote]
I said that mostly tongue in cheek, but you have to admit that it does appear a bit pretentious claiming to be the 'voice of the people' when you are an individual like everyone else here, not an elected representative or similar.quote]

1. I am an individual like everyone else.
2. Who said I am not an elected representative?

:lol:
"Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of power is power."

Voice of the People
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Yatala to go for new homes

#500 Post by Voice of the People » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:56 am

Well, this is another good idea that never got off the ground.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sa-s ... 5727408428

Imagine the possibilities for some mid rise closer to the retained gaol buildings, then a variety of housing styles on the undulating slopes along Dry Creek, retrofitted heritage Yatala Gaol buildings as a convention venue and as a unique large scale accommodation for sporting groups and conventions, or student accommodation, and perhaps some light rail from Mawson Lakes to here to make it a real TOD?

I can dream.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#501 Post by stumpjumper » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:59 pm

It was another 'miscount' by Foley. He miscounted until after the 2006 election, when he was able to count accurately again and ditched the program saying we couldn't afford it.

All it cost to win the election was $10 million in small change to the companies Foley had lined up to be the contractors in building the replacement prison. They were mainly big American companies, and before anyone complains about the government throwing away ten million dollars just to finance a lie to get elected, just think how important it is for Kevin Foley to keep face with the Yanks he goes to America to see all the time. To say 'I'm sorry, Bud, have a couple mill' is obviously far better than just to say sorry. Splashing around the cash stops people thinking that Kevin Foley was all 'big hat, no cattle.' That would be awful.

Back to Yatala. The Rann government has inventoried and minutely considered the value of every saleable piece of land and open space under Crown control. If it can conceivably be turned into cash, it will be, so the redevelopment of Yatala is just a matter ofd time, although the future of the buildings doesn't look so good. The Rann government is not very interested in adaptive re-use - it's too hard - and its friends in the development industry have more or less trained the government to deliver broadacres. Listed buildings are not really a problem. The Rann government has demolished numerous state and locally heritage listed buildings to clear sites for its developer friends, and even knocked over a few on the Register of the National Estate, the latest being a little meeting house in Bentham Street.

Voice of the People
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#502 Post by Voice of the People » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:36 pm

Stumpjumper, the sad thing is you're right. Thoreau said politics is the art of the possible, but this Labor government has turned that into the art of the scam. They will go down in history as selfish, corrupt and unimaginative and they wonder why people have no respect for them.

iTouch
Legendary Member!

#503 Post by iTouch » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:44 am

Voice of the People wrote:this Labor government has turned that into the art of the scam. They will go down in history as selfish, corrupt and unimaginative and they wonder why people have no respect for them.
yep, they're corrupt, paedophilic, canabalistic, murderers who shoot baby animals. -_- /sarcasm

I doubt it.
Don't burn the Adelaide Parkland (preservation society)

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#504 Post by mattblack » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:26 am

Voice of the People wrote:Stumpjumper, the sad thing is you're right. Thoreau said politics is the art of the possible, but this Labor government has turned that into the art of the scam. They will go down in history as selfish, corrupt and unimaginative and they wonder why people have no respect for them.

You people are a joke. I trust you have proof that 'they' are corrupt. If Labour is really that bad and have no respect then why have they been in power for so long? Well maybe its because people might be thinking that they are doing a okay job, yeh well they're not fantastic but Adelaide has been on the rise in recent years and you cant discount some of the governments policies in relation to that. If you cant handle the Libs being on the backburner for so long in this state tell them to get some decent policies before the next election.
Last edited by mattblack on Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Isiskii
High Rise Poster!

#505 Post by Isiskii » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:52 am

Need I remind you Liberals did win the 2PP vote, 52/48.

So stick that right up your...

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#506 Post by peas_and_corn » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:59 pm

Labor has been in for the amount of time they have through a combination of incompetent opposition and luck. I like their various transport policies, but their politiking gets annoying.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#507 Post by mattblack » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:03 pm

but their politiking gets annoying.
As does politiking on this forum

Isiskii wrote:Need I remind you Liberals did win the 2PP vote, 52/48.

So stick that right up your...

Uummm...... Whos running the state?

Anyhoo, back to Yatala. Development will happen at some stage in the future, the land is becoming far to valuable for a prison. The govt at the mo has far to many big ticket items on the agenda but once these are complete then Labour or Liberal will look very closely at taking opportunity of this.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

Pasadena Shopping Centre Redevelopment - Multiplex

#508 Post by Pikey » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:25 pm

The Pasadena Shopping Centre is the next suburban mall to be expanded upon.

20 new retailers, including a Target and Dan Murphy's will join the Foodland.

Multiplex are the developers, and judging by the massive site has been demolished/excavated, I would not be surprised if we saw a crane for this.

Pasadena Shopping centre in Adelaide’s inner-south is about to undergo an extensive re-development with over 20 new specialties, large-format liquor store, discount variety store and an extension to the existing Gourmet "Adelaide's Finest" Foodland.

Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Pasadena Shopping Centre Redevelopment - Multiplex

#509 Post by Pikey » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:26 pm

Have a good look at the grocer in the second render. :lol:

Beewwwwwwdiful.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

mattblack