News & Discussion: Squares and Parklands

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Rymill Park Lake

#76 Post by Xaragmata » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:11 pm

For anyone wanting an excuse to check out the lake, CheeseFest 08 will be held there on Sunday 21 September

http://www.cheesefest.com.au/

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#77 Post by Wayno » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:24 pm

Xaragmata wrote:For anyone wanting an excuse to check out the lake, CheeseFest 08 will be held there on Sunday 21 September

I love all these little Adelaide festivals...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#78 Post by jk1237 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:07 pm

Xaragmata wrote:For anyone wanting an excuse to check out the lake, CheeseFest 08 will be held there on Sunday 21 September

oh dear, I have a bit of a cheese problem at the moment. I cant stop buying lots of different types from the markets, and eating them. Now there is a cheesefest - heaven. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#79 Post by Norman » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:04 pm

I'm there... I love cheese :P

david
High Rise Poster!

#80 Post by david » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:13 pm

Hi Shuz,

Boats cost $6 per half hour which is good value if you know enough about how to row to get away from the launch area in the first half-hour!!!

David

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#81 Post by Shuz » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:38 am

6 dollars? That's a bargain.
Whats the comparison to the Elder Park paddleboats?

talrok
High Rise Poster!

#82 Post by talrok » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:28 pm

Awesome .. I remember spending many a Sunday arvo picnic at Rymill ... the boats were cool, mind you they would leak in the equivalent of small carton of Iced Coffee every 5 minutes .. navigating under the old wooden footbridges was the best .. kinda like a Venice gondola ride .. 'watch your heads'!! Bring back the old days!!

Oy yeah ... Sunny Boys were also 20c each .... hahahaha

Will Derwent
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#83 Post by Will Derwent » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:00 pm

I'd just point out (and I realise this is a total white elephant, but I will say it anyway), if we could connect the Rymill Park lake to the torrens through the botanic gardens, it would provide a really nice boat run through the eastern side of the city.

But of course, if all that cost $300k for just the lake, I'd hate to think what an idea like this would cost...

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#84 Post by Wayno » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:17 pm

went "boating" on Rymill lake today. Also took my remote control motorised boat - my daughter has it chasing the ducks in the photo...
rymill-park.JPG
rymill-park.JPG (36.88 KiB) Viewed 2971 times
It really is a nice part of the world.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#85 Post by monotonehell » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:59 pm

Will Derwent wrote:I'd just point out (and I realise this is a total white elephant, but I will say it anyway), if we could connect the Rymill Park lake to the torrens through the botanic gardens, it would provide a really nice boat run through the eastern side of the city.

But of course, if all that cost $300k for just the lake, I'd hate to think what an idea like this would cost...
Add to that the fact that it's all downhill to the Torrens, and would require a system of locks.

There's already a creek of sorts connecting the lake to the Torrens though.

It starts here in Rymil Park...
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?ie=UTF8& ... 1&t=h&z=19

Cuts through Rundle Park...
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?ie=UTF8& ... 1&t=h&z=19

Under Botanic Road and into the Botanic Gardens. It's spit at that point, some into the duck pond, while overflow is redirected along a drain alongside the duck pond....
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?ie=UTF8& ... 6&t=h&z=20

After the duck pond it flows into a drain at the north end of the gardens and turns west before coming out the drain into the Torrens here...
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?ie=UTF8& ... 6&t=h&z=20

But since it's dry except when storm water flows I don't think you'd get your row boat down it. ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

Parklands to be Heritage Listed

#86 Post by cruel_world00 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:37 am

'Adelaide's parklands to be heritage listed'

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 01,00.html
ADELAIDE'S parklands will become nationally heritage-listed, Environment Minister Peter Garrett announced this morning.

The city has been granted Australia's highest heritage honour with its inclusion on the national heritage list, along with a total of 900ha of parklands.

Mr Garrett said the Adelaide Parklands were the most extensive and intact 19th century parklands in Australia today.

“From today the Adelaide Parklands and City Layout will be afforded the highest protection under the Australian Government’s Environment Protection and Biodiversity Act," Mr Garrett said.

“The Adelaide Parklands, also enjoy long standing links with the local community as a hub for recreational and civic activities for well over 150 years. It was a focal point for community groups campaigning for its protection as far back as 1869."

The State Government welcome the move.

“Increasingly the success of cities depends on their liveability. The layout of Adelaide and its parklands is a key feature of the attractiveness of the city," state Environment Minister Jay Weatherill said.

The Adelaide Parklands and City Layout site includes 900 hectares and is defined by the 1837 layout of streets including parks in the city centre and significant areas such as Victoria Square, Hindmarsh Square, the Botanic Gardens, Palmer Gardens and Brougham Gardens in North Adelaide.

There are currently 81 places in the National Heritage List including both the Old and New Parliament Houses in South Australia and the Australian Alps, Bondi Beach, Melbourne Cricket Ground, Kakadu National Park and Port Arthur Historic Site.

More to come.

Hmm....

(edit - if you want to move this thread you can.. thought this would be the best place to put it but otherwise, go right ahead)

Shuz
Banned
Banned

Re: Parklands to be Heritage Listed

#87 Post by Shuz » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:42 am

Interesting.

I'm sure development is still allowable on the parklands, otherwise there would be a conflict of interest for the State Government to support this and want to build the new hospital.

It even says the MCG is heritage listed, and they just redeveloped that for the Commonwealth Games, demolishing its only heritage asset, the old member's stand.

raulduke
High Rise Poster!

#88 Post by raulduke » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:21 pm

why not just heritage list the whole city and save future generations the hassle - the city wont be changing much, so we might as well

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#89 Post by Waewick » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:57 pm

Its a great move, development can occur around the parkland increasing its exposure and therefore the potential for money to be spent on it.

The Parklands should be a vital part of the cities future to provide a green belt (I believe it should be irrigated regardless of water restrictions as people need a place to go to get away from it) for future generations.

Hopefulyl one day a government/ Coucil with some foresight and the willingness to do something gets elected and makes something of the resource we have.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#90 Post by Matt » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:10 pm

If the parklands were something more than a ring of dead grass, perhaps they'd be worth protecting.
If this heritage listing means no development whatsoever, it's just embarrassing.

I'm all for "protecting" the parklands in some manner, but what's the point of having them if they're going to continue in the state they are now?
Most of the parklands are an underutilised eyesore, and without development of some sort, will remain so.

A total waste of space.