News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#886 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:45 am

Liam Mannix
Indaily

APPLE will come to Rundle Mall, it has been confirmed.

Chairman of the Rundle Mall Management Authority Theo Maras has confirmed to Indaily that an official Apple store will open in Rundle Mall.

He said the new store was the result of an extensive networking campaign by himself and his son, fellow property developer Steve Maras.

Maras handed Indaily a map of Milan’s shopfronts, which was sitting on his desk during Indaily’s interview with him, and said he had similar maps of London and Paris.

“I’m doorknocking,” he said.

“And I’ve got one. We’ve got two of the biggest brands in the world.

“And I’ll tell you what they are. Because one’s already in there – Nespresso. Corner Gawler Place.

“And Apple’s going in.”

There have been unsourced suggestions for the past year that Apple is coming to Rundle Mall, including an online report last November which said that Apple was hiring staff for its first stand-alone store in South Australia.

Up until now, official sources have refused to comment on the reports.

The Apple shop will be located in the Rundle Place development, on the site of the old Harris Scarfe department store.
Apple coming to Rundle Mall was the worst-kept secret in the history of secrets!
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#887 Post by monotonehell » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:58 pm

[Shuz] wrote:

Liam Mannix
Indaily

...There have been unsourced suggestions for the past year that Apple is coming to Rundle Mall, including an online report last November which said that Apple was hiring staff for its first stand-alone store in South Australia...
Apple coming to Rundle Mall was the worst-kept secret in the history of secrets!
I wonder who that online report was then? ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#888 Post by crawf » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:26 pm

monotonehell wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:

Liam Mannix
Indaily

...There have been unsourced suggestions for the past year that Apple is coming to Rundle Mall, including an online report last November which said that Apple was hiring staff for its first stand-alone store in South Australia...
I wonder who that online report was then? ;)
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/11/apple ... ide-store/

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#889 Post by pushbutton » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:30 pm

I can't imagine why anyone would be excited about an apple store opening. There's already plenty of places to buy their overpriced gadgets, including online.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#890 Post by jk1237 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:34 pm

pushbutton wrote:I can't imagine why anyone would be excited about an apple store opening. There's already plenty of places to buy their overpriced gadgets, including online.
I dont like Apples overpriced gadgets and wouldn't buy anything from them anymore, but for some strange reason I am excited about our first Apple store, I cant wait actually

metro
Legendary Member!

#891 Post by metro » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:46 am

The apple store will probably close after a couple of years because nobody likes apple anymore.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#892 Post by Hooligan » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:48 am

idont icare iabout ia iapple istore.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#893 Post by Nathan » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:02 am

Great, you guys don't like Apple. Whoopedy doo. Personally I'm looking forward to the new store, as some of the local resellers have been going downhill with their service.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#894 Post by SRW » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:49 pm

Do y'all really need to have the same back-and-forth every time some news about Apple's new store is posted? I couldn't care less whether you like Apple or not, as that's all besides the point of this thread.

I do care, however, that a new retail outlet has been finally confirmed, so thanks for the news Shuz.

*edited to correct careless typing as pointed out by mono :oops:
Last edited by SRW on Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep Adelaide Weird

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#895 Post by monotonehell » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:19 pm

SRW wrote:Do y'all really need to have the same back-and-forth every time some news about Apple's new store is posted? I could care less whether you like Apple or not, as that's all besides the point of this thread.
You could care less? ;)

A correction of a previous post of mine regarding Target changing their opening hours in what I perceived to be a response to KMart's extended hours; seems, like a puppy, it was just for Xmas. Target have gone back to their regular 6pm closes.

Also in case anyone hasn't found out, most of Rundle Mall will be trading on the substitute public holiday for Australia Day (28th). If it's anything like the previous few the Mall will be throbbing.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#896 Post by SRW » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:18 pm

I doubt they have any CBD locations planned, but this still seemed the most appropriate thread to place this in:
Aldi flags expansion to SA
ABC News Online, 12 February 2013

Supermarket chain Aldi says it will open stores in South Australia, expanding its Australian reach beyond the east coast.

The company said it was making plans to open up to 50 stores, creating 900 jobs.

It expected to take some years to find a warehouse site and retail store locations across SA.

The company said it would work with the SA Government to help find appropriate sites.

Aldi operates more than 200 stores in New South Wales, the ACT, Queensland and Victoria.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Verbatim9
Gold-Member ;)

#897 Post by Verbatim9 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:22 am

Liquor laws are under review to allow Foodland and Iga to sell liquor as well as the new comers Aldi and Costco in which was a stumbling block for their model.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#898 Post by how good is he » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:53 pm

Anyone want to guess some big enough sites for Aldi? I am thinking Harbourtown, Parafield Airport, Tonsley/Mitsubishi site, maybe Former Bianco site at Gepps Cross, Bowden/Clipsal site.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#899 Post by Ben » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:47 pm

Aldis aren't necessarily large sites. I recently went to one in Byron Bay which was smaller than most local IGAs.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#900 Post by neoballmon » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:51 pm

how good is he wrote:Anyone want to guess some big enough sites for Aldi? I am thinking Harbourtown, Parafield Airport, Tonsley/Mitsubishi site, maybe Former Bianco site at Gepps Cross, Bowden/Clipsal site.
I don't think they'll be going for all 50 sites to be as large as a regular Eastern Aldi. I think quite a few will be smaller stores too.

Parafield Airport is currently earmarked as Costco's prefered location, not sure if Aldi would want to be right by that.
And Bianco would be ideal for a warehouse, but doesn't really seem like a good location for a store to me.

I think a great location would be the former Coles on North East Road at Windsor Gardens. It's a very large site, set up previously as a supermarket. Could be very cheap set-up fees for them.

I also think Coles might sell off their Parabanks and Paralowie stores (it makes me wonder how these 2 survived the last sell off to Foodworks and Foodland). And possibly some similar Woolworths stores. Possibly Ingle Farm (Coles) and Northpark/Sefton Park (Woolies) as there are 2 stores at these locations.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!