[COM] Armada Arndale (Redevelopment) | $200m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: Armada Arndale (Redevelopment) | $200m

#391 Post by I Follow PAFC » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:01 pm

Woolworths has plans to install a supermarket drive-through at Arndale, meaning you could order online and never leave your car. Is this peak laziness or convenience for the modern world ?

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... e03ca61ed6

behind the paywall.
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#392 Post by how good is he » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:37 pm

Not necessarily, would be valuable to people with mobility issues/the aged/disabled or even a parent with a young baby or children (esp if they have many).

flat04
Gold-Member ;)

#393 Post by flat04 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:40 am

I Follow PAFC wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:01 pm
Woolworths has plans to install a supermarket drive-through at Arndale.......
It's a strange decision considering the home delivery service that both major chains provide. It must be for the quick grab a couple of things and go but if that's the case I can't see it worth the hours to man it.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#394 Post by SBD » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:49 am

flat04 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:40 am
I Follow PAFC wrote:
Woolworths has plans to install a supermarket drive-through at Arndale.......
It's a strange decision considering the home delivery service that both major chains provide. It must be for the quick grab a couple of things and go but if that's the case I can't see it worth the hours to man it.
Pickup may be cheaper than delivery, and means nobody has to be home for the planned delivery window to receive the delivery. Pickup can be done on the way home from work/school etc. As I don't use the services, I have no idea if the pickup hours are longer or shorter than the span of delivery times, but I can see benefit in taking charge of the time.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#395 Post by Brucetiki » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:24 pm

I Follow PAFC wrote:
Woolworths has plans to install a supermarket drive-through at Arndale, meaning you could order online and never leave your car. Is this peak laziness or convenience for the modern world ?

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... e03ca61ed6

behind the paywall.
The Woolies at Parabanks has a similar set up now, through their old parcel pick up lane.

It's convenient if you want to order online and then pick it up same day on the way home without having to wait for a delivery

Columbo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#396 Post by Columbo » Fri May 08, 2020 10:19 pm

With Coles shutting up shop on May 31, it was announced on the Armada Arndale Facebook page today that Romeo's Foodland will open June 4th.
Obviously not planning on changing too much straight away, going to be a pretty quick turn around.
Went into Coles tonight for the first time in about 6 weeks, seems they have started removing / reducing some things already, displays at the end of the aisles are gone, some shelves looking a bit bare, but they did have lots of toilet paper!

TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

#397 Post by TorrensSA » Sat May 09, 2020 1:32 am

Was Coles originally Bi-Lo? It feels like an old Bi-lo. I wasn't in SA when Bi-Lo was discontinued and most turned into Coles. I only know one ex Bi-Lo that was never a Coles, a lot become Coles and closed though. The store I know is Brighton, was a Bi-Lo, Romeos IGA, Foodworks and a Woolworths - now a nice new large Woolworths - with plans to incorporate a BWS. If I was a loyal Coles shopper I would be pissed off at their attitude to former Bi-Lo stores - so many closed stores after conversion eg Rostrevor, Blair Athol, Arndale etc. Woolworths is also pretty shitty though - Felixstow, Athelstone, Harbourtown, Port Adelaide etc closed. Coles / Woolies have really let down Adelaide - so many stores closed, Foodland has jumped at the opportunity though opening 4 stores at the locations above (Foodland probably would have taken the Blair Athol store too - if IGA / KSM didn't)

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#398 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat May 09, 2020 9:50 am

Yep, it was certainly a former Bi-Lo.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#399 Post by how good is he » Sat May 09, 2020 8:54 pm

I would say the ones that have closed ie Coles Arndale are due to either their limited size footprint (their new shops are 3500 sqm or more) or poor trading figures relative to other stores ie Woolworths Harbourtown. TorrensSA, do you blame them if they aren’t working that they close them down and invest in bigger/newer and better performing stores?

Columbo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#400 Post by Columbo » Sun May 10, 2020 5:42 pm

how good is he wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 8:54 pm
I would say the ones that have closed ie Coles Arndale are due to either their limited size footprint (their new shops are 3500 sqm or more) or poor trading figures relative to other stores ie Woolworths Harbourtown. TorrensSA, do you blame them if they aren’t working that they close them down and invest in bigger/newer and better performing stores?
They did increase the size of the store going back a while but not to the extent that Woolworths did when they expanded the Arndale store (that has since had another re-fit earlier this year) and compared to some of the other nearby stores it is quite small and certainly needs and upgrade so probably not worth the expense, heard that theft may have been a contributing factor also.
Personally think Romeos will be great for Arndale, along with Woolies and Aldi it will give customers 3 different choices.

85trainfan
High Rise Poster!

#401 Post by 85trainfan » Sun May 10, 2020 9:50 pm

TorrensSA wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:32 am
Was Coles originally Bi-Lo? It feels like an old Bi-lo. I wasn't in SA when Bi-Lo was discontinued and most turned into Coles. I only know one ex Bi-Lo that was never a Coles, a lot become Coles and closed though. The store I know is Brighton, was a Bi-Lo, Romeos IGA, Foodworks and a Woolworths - now a nice new large Woolworths - with plans to incorporate a BWS. If I was a loyal Coles shopper I would be pissed off at their attitude to former Bi-Lo stores - so many closed stores after conversion eg Rostrevor, Blair Athol, Arndale etc. Woolworths is also pretty shitty though - Felixstow, Athelstone, Harbourtown, Port Adelaide etc closed. Coles / Woolies have really let down Adelaide - so many stores closed, Foodland has jumped at the opportunity though opening 4 stores at the locations above (Foodland probably would have taken the Blair Athol store too - if IGA / KSM didn't)
Certainly was a former Bi-Lo store. was converted to a Coles in under 4 days. (full stock stripout and restock). New plant (freezers) and equipment(full bakery refit) came later on. I was "luckily" enough to be involved with this process.
There has been talk of closing the coles ever since it converted from a Bi-lo (surprised it took this long). Theft was always a big problem at this location( not being stereotypical , but from seeing it firsthand for 7 years).
Some other former Bi-Lo sites that i know of are Romeo's foodland at old reynella, daw park, pt Adelaide, Morphett Vale, & Marion (marion rd near finnis st). The glenelg east IGA is also a former Bi-Lo store.
Regards Jarrod

Any posts made are my own opinion and do not represent any organisation with which I am associated.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: [COM] Re: Armada Arndale (Redevelopment) | $200m

#402 Post by neoballmon » Sun May 10, 2020 9:59 pm

TorrensSA wrote:Was Coles originally Bi-Lo? It feels like an old Bi-lo. I wasn't in SA when Bi-Lo was discontinued and most turned into Coles. I only know one ex Bi-Lo that was never a Coles, a lot become Coles and closed though. The store I know is Brighton, was a Bi-Lo, Romeos IGA, Foodworks and a Woolworths - now a nice new large Woolworths - with plans to incorporate a BWS. If I was a loyal Coles shopper I would be pissed off at their attitude to former Bi-Lo stores - so many closed stores after conversion eg Rostrevor, Blair Athol, Arndale etc. Woolworths is also pretty shitty though - Felixstow, Athelstone, Harbourtown, Port Adelaide etc closed. Coles / Woolies have really let down Adelaide - so many stores closed, Foodland has jumped at the opportunity though opening 4 stores at the locations above (Foodland probably would have taken the Blair Athol store too - if IGA / KSM didn't)
Brighton did become a Coles before being sold to Foodworks then Romeos then Woolworths. That store has seen many names, and when being demolished some Bilo signage was visible!

TTP's Bilo store however didn't become a Coles due to contractual agreements. After all other Bilos on the state were rebranded, TTP remained a Bilo for a year or two until it became Harris Scarfe.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

#403 Post by TorrensSA » Sun May 10, 2020 10:12 pm

Bi-Lo was pretty impressive, it had small stores eg Glenelg East and Mega Frrresh (lol) stores which some had interactive areas with buttons that made noises lol - I remember the Doncaster Bi-Lo had a button that made moo noises lol, pretty sure Greenacres Coles had these for a while after conversion. Bi-Lo would do so well now if it was cheap and actual competition for Aldi. Coles could easily make new Aldi size stores and name them Bi-lo.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#404 Post by I Follow PAFC » Mon May 11, 2020 6:02 pm

Romeo's Retail Group is opening at Arndale on June the 4th.
https://www.facebook.com/RomeosRetailGroup
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#405 Post by pushbutton » Sun May 17, 2020 8:56 pm

Romeos will likely have more success in combating the theft issue because they will actually stop the shoplifters!

Unfortunately Coles and Woolworths rarely do anymore, but Romeos are independent of all the "must go softly" garbage so they'll just grab the thieves as they walk out the door, and hand them straight to police.

Word will soon get around and the thieves will stick to Woolworths Arndale (and possibly Aldi, I'm not sure what their attitude to theft is like)!