Roads & Rail

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Roads & Rail

#106 Post by Omicron » Sat May 17, 2008 10:48 pm

Greed, for want of a better word, is good.

Ho Really

#107 Post by Ho Really » Sun May 18, 2008 11:16 am

cleverick wrote:Agree, jk. This is why they narrowed Grote St north of the Central Markets.
This is the most stupid thing the ACC have done is narrow this road at the wrong place. On market days the two lanes that start from Victoria Square become one as the outside lane becomes clogged with those wanting to park at the Central Markets. The car park entrance is just past the lights at the T-junction with Pitt Street. All this happening when there is heavy pedestrian use on those days. Why didn't they allow for a third lane for the car park? Was it necessary to extend the footpath at the lights that far? Also, I have a gripe with those wide median strips, all they do is encourage pedestrians to cross the road where ever they like, and in dangerous situations. Sorry for posting this here, but I had to give my opinion.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#108 Post by Norman » Sun May 18, 2008 11:34 am

If you guys haven't read it yet, they are also revamping Grote Street for the rest of the way to West Terrace.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#109 Post by AtD » Sun May 18, 2008 11:52 am

Ho Really wrote: This is the most stupid thing the ACC have done is narrow this road at the wrong place...
The ACC is trying to discourage cross city traffic.

Ho Really

#110 Post by Ho Really » Sun May 18, 2008 2:15 pm

Norman wrote:If you guys haven't read it yet, they are also revamping Grote Street for the rest of the way to West Terrace.
Well, let's hope they do a better job there.

Cheers

Ho Really

#111 Post by Ho Really » Sun May 18, 2008 2:25 pm

AtD wrote:
Ho Really wrote: This is the most stupid thing the ACC have done is narrow this road at the wrong place...
The ACC is trying to discourage cross city traffic.
By doing it this way? Grote Street has been cut down from three lanes to two, which is fine, but have this bottleneck on market days is silly, let's get that little traffic to flow better and eliminate nuisances as described (which could also be dangerous). I just hope they don't exasperate things even more when a tram line goes down there, imagine no inside lane at all on market days!! If the tram goes down Gouger Street, that's a different matter altogether.

Cheers

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#112 Post by AtD » Sun May 18, 2008 2:42 pm

To be honest, I've never understood the pseudo loading bay thing that they have set up on Grote Street. If they upgrade the arcade, the loading docks should be put underground.

Ho Really

#113 Post by Ho Really » Sun May 18, 2008 3:16 pm

AtD wrote:To be honest, I've never understood the pseudo loading bay thing that they have set up on Grote Street. If they upgrade the arcade, the loading docks should be put underground.
The lane you are talking about would be perfect as a slip road for the Central Markets car park, unfortunately it would have to terminate at the T-junction with Pitt Street because the footpath extends further into Grote Street at the pedestrian crossing, thus we have two lanes. :cry:

Cheers

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#114 Post by monotonehell » Sun May 18, 2008 3:51 pm

AtD wrote:To be honest, I've never understood the pseudo loading bay thing that they have set up on Grote Street. If they upgrade the arcade, the loading docks should be put underground.
The arcade's loading bays are underground - there's entrances both next to the Hilton and on the other side behind the law courts. That closable two lanes-ish of road behind the barrier there is for all the fruit and veg deliveries that happen way before most of you are out of bed. Usually by the time the Sun rises there's three or four slow pokes still and it should be opened up to traffic again by rush period.
Ho Really wrote:The lane you are talking about would be perfect as a slip road for the Central Markets car park, unfortunately it would have to terminate at the T-junction with Pitt Street because the footpath extends further into Grote Street at the pedestrian crossing, thus we have two lanes. :cry:
If all's going well in the UPark there should be no queue outside the building. However all doesn't always go well. Spitter malfunctions, idiots breaking the boom arms, rookie UPark cashiers, etc upset the fine balance of input verses output in that UPark. But with all three entrances and five exits going at peak periods there's as many coming in as going out.

Extending a car park queue onto the road is asking for trouble, if you allow it to become long people often pass it before they realise that it's the queue.

If you ever want to test your ability to multitask; get a job working in the Central Market UPark on a Saturday market day at exit time in Box 1. :lol: :twisted: :twisted:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

rhino

#115 Post by rhino » Mon May 19, 2008 9:14 am

Omicron wrote:Greed, for want of a better word, is good.

8) Gordon Gecko - what an absolute classic!
cheers,
Rhino

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#116 Post by Düsseldorfer » Tue May 27, 2008 11:16 am

I pretty much think this every time i drive down Main north road (from Mawson Lakes to Adelaide); the car yards have to go!! they are soo ugly and soo aesthetically displeasing, and its the main road into town!

If every car yard, new and second-hand was demolished along Main North road then there would be a large amount of space either side of the road...I'm thinking a Freeway which starts at Gepps Cross could be built that runs right into Adelaide. :idea: And there may also be the possibility of having either a busway/obahn or light rail running down the middle.

:D yay hundredth post !!

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#117 Post by monotonehell » Tue May 27, 2008 6:06 pm

Düsseldorfer wrote:I pretty much think this every time i drive down Main north road (from Mawson Lakes to Adelaide); the car yards have to go!! they are soo ugly and soo aesthetically displeasing, and its the main road into town!

If every car yard, new and second-hand was demolished along Main North road then there would be a large amount of space either side of the road...I'm thinking a Freeway which starts at Gepps Cross could be built that runs right into Adelaide. :idea: And there may also be the possibility of having either a busway/obahn or light rail running down the middle.

And who would sell all these cars to run on your glorious freeway now that you've banished the car yards to Siberia? ;)

I was with you until you said "freeway." If there's one thing we don't need it's freeways (freeways lead to congestion, they don't cure it).

How about this instead; bugger the freeway, build high and medium density housing on these former car yards and hook them up with a decent form of PT along the Main North road corridor?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#118 Post by Düsseldorfer » Tue May 27, 2008 8:08 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Düsseldorfer wrote:I pretty much think this every time i drive down Main north road (from Mawson Lakes to Adelaide); the car yards have to go!! they are soo ugly and soo aesthetically displeasing, and its the main road into town!

And who would sell all these cars to run on your glorious freeway now that you've banished the car yards to Siberia? ;)

I was with you until you said "freeway." If there's one thing we don't need it's freeways (freeways lead to congestion, they don't cure it).

How about this instead; bugger the freeway, build high and medium density housing on these former car yards and hook them up with a decent form of PT along the Main North road corridor?
haha yep that would be my first act if i was elected premier: Banish all second hand car yards + their shifty sales men to Siberia :lol: ...

I just think that for the main road (from the north) into town we could do a bit better than just a constant stream of car yards. And i'm all for the PT thing, mainly due to the rising cost of Petrol, any of the following would be great alternatives: Busway, O-bahn, U-bahn, S-bahn, Train, Tram, Monorail, light rail...

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#119 Post by Shuz » Wed May 28, 2008 1:24 pm

2030: If only car were still king and we had billions of dollars in the bank....
(I take no responsibility for those affected) :lol:

cleverick
High Rise Poster!

#120 Post by cleverick » Wed May 28, 2008 9:33 pm

I'm beginning to like you, monotonehell.

Here is an economic reason for freeways not curing congestion, as seen in my text book this year:
1, People prefer the convenience of car to public transport.
2, People like to go to the centre of town.

ERGO

If you have a one-lane road and a perfect public transport system, even though people prefer to travel by car, they will hate the congestion and catch PT anyway.
If you have a two-lane road, people who can stand the congestion will switch away from PT to the road. Notice that the amount of congestion does not decrease, but the number of people on PT does.
And so on until you have a 14-lane freeway packed with cars crawling at about 15km/hr into the city, and a couple of token buses or an empty tram running parallel.

In Paris, they have a Pergeot dealership on the Champs Elysees. I don't know if you're familiar with that, but it's roughly analogous with King William St. Admittedly that's a much flashier caryard, but the idea is there. What is going on with Mitsubishi? Are they re-building?