Roads & Rail

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Shuz
Banned
Banned

Re: Roads & Rail

#151 Post by Shuz » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:33 pm

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 87547&z=14

Still have to work on the Willunga (Tonsley) and Buckland Park (Northern Connector) lines, but the rest of the system is pretty well done by now.

Wilfy 2007
High Rise Poster!

#152 Post by Wilfy 2007 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:07 pm

Shuz wrote:http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 87547&z=14

Still have to work on the Willunga (Tonsley) and Buckland Park (Northern Connector) lines, but the rest of the system is pretty well done by now.
Hi Shuz,

Very impressed with you planned Railway lines.

Buckland Park, will you be planning to come into the northern end of the town centre of Buckland park.

Regards,

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#153 Post by peas_and_corn » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:51 pm

Is the Golden Grove line essentially replacing the OBahn?

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#154 Post by Shuz » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:11 pm

Yes it is.

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#155 Post by Somebody » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Don't forget to include:

- New branch from Elizabeth South to Elizabeth East (there are houses so they need a train)
- Continuation of said Buckland Park line to Gawler via whatever farms are between. Make it as single track, and run it like Melbun's City Loop. Anti-clockwise before 12:30, then clockwise until last train. Weekends clockwise all day. This will ensure there is a fast trip to the city in the peak direction at all times

PM Peak (example): Adelaide - Salisbury - West Nurlutta - Buckland Park - Northwest Gawler - Gawler - Elizabeth - Salisbury - Adelaide

- Northfield line
- Dry Creek to Port Adelaide via Rosewater line
- New branch from Tea Tree Gully line to Rostrevor near the 104 bus terminus. Trains will run every 30mins M-F until 7pm, every 60 other times.
- Branch from Rostrevor line to Magill near the 110 terminus
- Reinstatement of the old Willunga route from Hallett Cove so they can go via two ways
Last edited by Somebody on Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Gold Coast - Australia's centre for insipid, tacky & boring.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#156 Post by Shuz » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:11 am

Well, thats just one of the rigours of my plan. There are no branch lines.

The Willunga (Tonsley) would have its own tracks, effectively quadrupling the Noarlunga rail corridor to Ascot Park station.
As would happen for the Virginia and Gawler lines, quadrupled. Between Victoria Sqaure and Goodwood interchange would be 6-track to include Belair lines. Between Adelaide Railway Station and Victoria Sqaure would be 8-track, in two sets of twin tube tunnels on 2 levels to accomodate the Mount Barker line.

I dont know if the on the main north-south lines (Noarlunga to Elizabeth, it should be quadrupled track to allow expres services to run, and for each deistnation to operate as satellite cities in their own entities,.

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#157 Post by Somebody » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:19 am

How long will it take a train to get from Adelaide to Willunga via Tonsley? Why no branch lines? That's pretty much a branch.. :wank:

Also another one could be extension of the Northfield line to Wakley Heights, followed by Modbury and onto Golden Grove to provide a direct link from Dry Creek to the TTG area.

What do you have for the Hills? I'd go for a couple of railcars in peak at first.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#158 Post by Shuz » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:13 pm

Finally! I came across a photo, which clearly identifies how I think the North-South route should be developed (if it is to take place of the South Road alignment)
By rob2655 of Flickr.

Set inground, but remains open-air. Side acess roads would still remain at ground level and have on-off ramps at all major intersections. It would allow for several bridges to be built over to connect all the side streets, which technically is a flawed obstacle to the 'traffic-light free' plan they currently have for south road, as this traffic would still continue to create minor congestion. Its a concept which would integrate will with the U/C anzac highway underpass and Sturt road underpass, and the Port/Grange road tunnel.

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#159 Post by Somebody » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:15 pm

Ya didn't answer me question, sport.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#160 Post by Shuz » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:24 pm

Somebody wrote:Ya didn't answer me question, sport.
Sorry matey.
Somebody wrote:How long will it take a train to get from Adelaide to Willunga via Tonsley? Why no branch lines? That's pretty much a branch.
The track would be quadrupled from Adelaide to Ascot Park station, Aldinga services to operate on the northernmost 2 lines, Willunga services to operate on the two southernmost lines. Therefore it would not be a branch service of the Aldinga line, as they would be treated as seperate tracks (which just happen to share the same corridor for part of the journey). I'd estimate a Willunga service would take about 60-70 minutes into the City, stopping all stations. Express, it could take 30-40.
Somebody wrote:Also another one could be extension of the Northfield line to Wakley Heights, followed by Modbury and onto Golden Grove to provide a direct link from Dry Creek to the TTG area.
Negative. I have a no-branch policy. Where 'branches' appear to exist, the corridor is quadrupled to the point where it branches off.

I have contemplated reinstating the Northfield line, but not as a service into the City, but to Port Adelaide instead. That would encourage development in the area. I don't think its a highly feasible concept.
Somebody wrote:What do you have for the Hills? I'd go for a couple of railcars in peak at first.
6 services an hour peak every 10 minutes. 3 services an hour off-peak, 1 service an hour night.

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#161 Post by Somebody » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:29 pm

That's alright ;)
Shuz wrote:Negative. I have a no-branch policy. Where 'branches' appear to exist, the corridor is quadrupled to the point where it branches off.
What's wrong with having shuttle services from teh junction to the branch?

Oh and I luuuv your hills services - 1 train an hour that takes twice as long as driving is yum 8) :D. Connecting Mount Barker, SANZ to Adelaide, SANZ.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#162 Post by Cruise » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:32 pm

Shuz wrote:Finally! I came across a photo, which clearly identifies how I think the North-South route should be developed (if it is to take place of the South Road alignment)
By rob2655 of Flickr.

Set inground, but remains open-air. Side acess roads would still remain at ground level and have on-off ramps at all major intersections. It would allow for several bridges to be built over to connect all the side streets, which technically is a flawed obstacle to the 'traffic-light free' plan they currently have for south road, as this traffic would still continue to create minor congestion. Its a concept which would integrate will with the U/C anzac highway underpass and Sturt road underpass, and the Port/Grange road tunnel.
I can't see the picture

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#163 Post by Prince George » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:46 am

Cruise wrote:
Shuz wrote:Finally! I came across a photo, which clearly identifies how I think the North-South route should be developed (if it is to take place of the South Road alignment)
(Inserts Img link to http://l.yimg.com/g/images/spaceball.gif)
I can't see the picture
This is Flickr's new lightweight copyright protection for the users that have requested no-downloading of their images; each image that they display is layered behind this transparent GIF so when you click on the image to download it, you get the blank one instead. See http://flickr.com/help/forum/7362/.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#164 Post by Aidan » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:32 pm

I'm guessing you mean this:
By rob2655 of Flickr.
Set inground, but remains open-air. Side acess roads would still remain at ground level and have on-off ramps at all major intersections. It would allow for several bridges to be built over to connect all the side streets, which technically is a flawed obstacle to the 'traffic-light free' plan they currently have for south road, as this traffic would still continue to create minor congestion.
Setting it inground would be rather expensive - I think it's extremely unlikely that the benefits would outweigh the costs. Not only is there the cost of all the excavation, retaining walls and sump pumps, but there's also a lot of existing stormwater pipes that it would get in the way of. And do you envisage closing South Road as this is done? The Anzac Highway underpass was, for good economic reasons, constructed with South Road remaining open - but I don't see how it could be left open if the horizontal alignment remained constant.

And we don't need to connect all the side streets. The sensible thing would be to have lots of footbridges and some of the side streets bridging South Road, and others connecting to South Road. Right turns would be banned, but there's no reason to prevent left turns, assuming the speed limit isn't raised. However, if councils and residents want to close some of the side streets, there's no reason not to.
Its a concept which would integrate will with the U/C anzac highway underpass and Sturt road underpass, and the Port/Grange road tunnel.
It wouldn't fit in very well with the N side of the Anzac Highway underpass, as there's a creek in the way. And I don't think there'd be any point of depressing the road near the Sturt Road underpass. As for the Port/Grange road tunnel, it would make more sense to lengthen the tunnel than to keep the road at the ends of it in an unnecessarily long trench.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.