News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#5446 Post by claybro » Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:26 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:43 am
[Shuz] wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:37 am
Or one could just extend the tramline down Manton Street? Duh.
That doesn't remotely address the problem. Passengers from the Gawler line would still need to travel all the way to ARS and then take a 15 minute tram journey back to Hindmarsh.
Or...just move the Ent Cent and Hindmarsh Stadium into the CBD where they belong, close North Adelaide as a functioning station and be done with it. Multiple problems solved.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#5447 Post by gnrc_louis » Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:31 pm

claybro wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:26 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:
That doesn't remotely address the problem. Passengers from the Gawler line would still need to travel all the way to ARS and then take a 15 minute tram journey back to Hindmarsh.
Or...just move the Ent Cent and Hindmarsh Stadium into the CBD where they belong, close North Adelaide as a functioning station and be done with it. Multiple problems solved.
Yeah - let's spend $500 million on a rectangular stadium in the CBD to predominantly host games in a league (that I hate to say as an Adelaide United supporter) has seen continuing declines in attendance over the past five years, and realistically may not even exist in the next five years. Great use of public money :applause:

claybro

#5448 Post by claybro » Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:25 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:31 pm
claybro wrote:
Llessur2002 wrote:

Yeah - let's spend $500 million on a rectangular stadium in the CBD to predominantly host games in a league (that I hate to say as an Adelaide United supporter) has seen continuing declines in attendance over the past five years, and realistically may not even exist in the next five years. Great use of public money :applause:
My response was in relation to the agonising over keeping a station open(North Adelaide) that has no real patrons or catchment, in order to service a stadium and entertainment center, that are themselves poorly located and lacking expansion options. Adelaide has a relatively small population with a heavy rail system-that really doesn't service the areas people need to go. Your response is a typically short sighted Adelaide response to any expenditure that might create a better functioning city, based around the existing rail transport system. It may well turn out cheaper to move facitilies to the main transport hubs, than redesign the existing rail system-or indeed put up with the current sub standard services due to lack of patronage.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#5449 Post by gnrc_louis » Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:38 pm

claybro wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:25 pm
gnrc_louis wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:31 pm
claybro wrote:

My response was in relation to the agonising over keeping a station open(North Adelaide) that has no real patrons or catchment, in order to service a stadium and entertainment center, that are themselves poorly located and lacking expansion options. Adelaide has a relatively small population with a heavy rail system-that really doesn't service the areas people need to go. Your response is a typically short sighted Adelaide response to any expenditure that might create a better functioning city, based around the existing rail transport system. It may well turn out cheaper to move facitilies to the main transport hubs, than redesign the existing rail system-or indeed put up with the current sub standard services due to lack of patronage.
It isn’t “short-sighted,” it’s realistic. There’s no need for a rectangular city stadium and I doubt there will be for a while to come yet. Anecdotally, Hindmarsh is well liked by most Australian football supporters and serves its purpose well. As such, there’s much better ways to spend considerable public money on infrastructure.

As for the entertainment centre, I’m all for that being moved into the city, but I think in the short term that opportunity has been lost with the half assed redevelopment of memorial drive.

Llessur2002

#5450 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:40 pm

I've argued this before but I think this is where the parklands hold us back to an extent. In any other city without a massive ring of open space around the CBD proper Hindmarsh would be seen as a prime inner city location - just as St Kilda is in Melbourne. Hindmarsh is central and extremely well connected from a transport perspective - I don't think we should let the parklands mask this.

Joelmark
High Rise Poster!

#5451 Post by Joelmark » Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:52 pm

Widely discussed on here as a vision - confirmation via InDaily that electrification of the Outer H Line will happen in the medium term, if for no other reason than to continue decarbonisation and the fact that the 3000 class railcars are reaching their end-of-life (though this last fact not specifically cited): https://indaily.com.au/news/local/2022/ ... pt-sights/

Llessur2002

#5452 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:20 pm

“So we are looking at the greening of the Outer Harbor line, I use greening in terms of whether its hydrogen, battery, battery electric or just pure electric – we need to start working through that.”
Interesting...

rubberman

#5453 Post by rubberman » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:48 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:40 pm
I've argued this before but I think this is where the parklands hold us back to an extent. In any other city without a massive ring of open space around the CBD proper Hindmarsh would be seen as a prime inner city location - just as St Kilda is in Melbourne. Hindmarsh is central and extremely well connected from a transport perspective - I don't think we should let the parklands mask this.
With the risk of going OT, I have to agree about Hindmarsh.

The stretch along the river from the brewery to South Road on both sides of the river is ideal for redevelopment. Im surpised that, rather than build a stadium in the Parklands, the former government didn't buy up the brewery and Coke sites to use as the nucleus of development there. Not only is it either Parkland frontage or river frontage, it's on an existing tramline with CBD access. Further, with a bit of long term vision, you could transform the whole of Hindmarsh, and Grange Road to Findon. Almost all of it is dreary warehousing or faded commercial areas looking for redevelopment. Further, a canny State Government could use that redevelopment to fill the area with its own supporters by controlling the type of development to attract residents of the demographic most likely to vote for it. With a tram line down Grange Road, of course. :banana:

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#5454 Post by A-Town » Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:15 pm

claybro wrote:
Llessur2002 wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:
Hindmarsh Stadium is a great venue for soccer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's the only true soccer ground used in the A-League, as all the other venues are designed to rugby standards which requires a slightly longer (and wider?) field. Hindmarsh has fans closer to the field as a result, with seating right behind the goals like you see in European stadiums. The size is perfect for Adelaide United and the redevelopment of the venue - albeit small - will make it a better fan experience again.

The Entertainment Centre on the other hand is tired, outdated and too small, and a new city arena build along the Riverbank or somewhere else in the CBD is desperately needed. It's shameful that Adelaide will soon be the only major capital city without a proper modern arena once Brisbane build theirs for the Olympics.

claybro

#5455 Post by claybro » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:17 am

A-Town wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:15 pm
Hindmarsh Stadium is a great venue for soccer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's the only true soccer ground used in the A-League, as all the other venues are designed to rugby standards which requires a slightly longer (and wider?) field. Hindmarsh has fans closer to the field as a result, with seating right behind the goals like you see in European stadiums. The size is perfect for Adelaide United and the redevelopment of the venue - albeit small - will make it a better fan experience again.
Since many soccer fans here seem to think Hindmarsh is a great venue, so be it- they are the ones who use it. But lets not hear the bleating next time Adelaide misses out on games relating to international tournaments due to its inadequacies. Either way, most people couldn't care less. Regarding access, yes Hindmarsh is well connected to the OH line and tram...maybe on the subject of North Adelaide station, just use it on event days for Hindmarsh /Ent Center, and make a clearly defined signposted, well lit path from the station to the precinct. There is no need for North Adelaide to be used any other time, or for the rail line to be diverted just to service a small stadium as someone suggested.

Nathan

#5456 Post by Nathan » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:27 am

claybro wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:17 am
A-Town wrote:
Since many soccer fans here seem to think Hindmarsh is a great venue, so be it- they are the ones who use it. But lets not hear the bleating next time Adelaide misses out on games relating to international tournaments due to its inadequacies. Either way, most people couldn't care less. Regarding access, yes Hindmarsh is well connected to the OH line and tram...maybe on the subject of North Adelaide station, just use it on event days for Hindmarsh /Ent Center, and make a clearly defined signposted, well lit path from the station to the precinct. There is no need for North Adelaide to be used any other time, or for the rail line to be diverted just to service a small stadium as someone suggested.
Services already only occasionally stop there, for the most part it has no impact on travel times. (What is having an impact is the speed all trains are now doing through that area, because they still haven't got the active crossing working.)

(The only "international tournament" Australia is getting is the Women's World Cup, and there'll be games at Hindmarsh, so... *shrug*)

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#5457 Post by Brucetiki » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:58 am

Llessur2002 wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:14 pm
Other than to service Hindmarsh Stadium and the Entertainment Centre. Closing North Adelaide will mean anyone using the Gawler Line to get to either of these fairly significant destinations will need to travel all the way to ARS and then either catch a train or a OH/Grange train. Not exactly a user-friendly experience and again prioritises the efficiency of the service for CBD commuters over non-peak and local users.
Question is how many people would use that option if it's available to them? You may need to offer an incentives such as having PT included in your concert ticket to encourage usage, plus perhaps some security presence for the walk back to North Adelaide station.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#5458 Post by A-Town » Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:51 pm

Nathan wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:27 am
claybro wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:17 am
A-Town wrote:
Services already only occasionally stop there, for the most part it has no impact on travel times. (What is having an impact is the speed all trains are now doing through that area, because they still haven't got the active crossing working.)
What's taking them so long? We've already had one death there, are they waiting for another?

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#5459 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:33 pm

Joelmark wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:52 pm
Widely discussed on here as a vision - confirmation via InDaily that electrification of the Outer H Line will happen in the medium term, if for no other reason than to continue decarbonisation and the fact that the 3000 class railcars are reaching their end-of-life (though this last fact not specifically cited): https://indaily.com.au/news/local/2022/ ... pt-sights/
Outer Harbor has the advantage over the other lines in that it can be electrified in stages. First they could do Port Dock, then Outer Harbor, then Grange. My prediction is they will close Grange instead of electrifying it or re-routing to West Lakes. :wallbash:

MT269
High Rise Poster!

#5460 Post by MT269 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:34 pm

When is the Ovingham project earmarked for completion?