News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#5521 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:34 pm

SRW wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:15 pm
Apparently a train has derailed (through fence) at Grange this evening: https://twitter.com/micwoodward/status/ ... 5629621248
Yep, looked like the driver overshot the platform and crashed through the fence.

Perhaps they forgot the old terminus across the road closed in 1986 :D

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#5522 Post by rev » Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:03 pm

SRW wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:15 pm
Apparently a train has derailed (through fence) at Grange this evening: https://twitter.com/micwoodward/status/ ... 5629621248
Would be interesting to know if its an old driver from pre privatisation or a newly trained driver by Keolis Downer.

cocoiadrop
Gold-Member ;)

#5523 Post by cocoiadrop » Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:56 pm

I strongly strongly doubt this is an inattention issue. Most likely it was low adhesion or brake failure.

Best wait for the ATSB report before suggesting the driver was acting unprofessionally.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#5524 Post by rev » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:51 pm

cocoiadrop wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:56 pm
I strongly strongly doubt this is an inattention issue. Most likely it was low adhesion or brake failure.

Best wait for the ATSB report before suggesting the driver was acting unprofessionally.
I wasn't suggesting any of that, rather potentially an issue with privatized operation/driver selection/training.
Our remand centre is doing oh so well since it was privatized. Both that and the metro have the former Liberal government in common.
So..where there's smoke..

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5525 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:35 am

Luigi Rossi was on 5AA this morning and discussed rail services to Mt Barker with the trial apparently happening soon, and services beyond to Tailem Bend, as well as Strathalbyn, Victor Harbor, Riverlea and Angle Vale.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#5526 Post by Eurostar » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:18 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:35 am
Luigi Rossi was on 5AA this morning and discussed rail services to Mt Barker with the trial apparently happening soon, and services beyond to Tailem Bend, as well as Strathalbyn, Victor Harbor, Riverlea and Angle Vale.
How can you trial rail services to Angle Vale? There is no railway to Angle Vale :?

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#5527 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:24 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:35 am
With the Talgo trains?

bits
Legendary Member!

#5528 Post by bits » Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:21 am

The trial was to Mt Barker.
The talk mentioned if a train to Mt Barker occurred next would be Murray Bridge, Victor etc etc.

So they talked about a trial and then also talked about services to more places.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#5529 Post by Spotto » Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:28 am

Guys, there’s a thread for trains to Mount Barker that would be better suited for this discussion.

Let’s try to keep this thread about current AdMet trains.

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5530 Post by Nort » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:05 pm

Spotto wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:28 am
Guys, there’s a thread for trains to Mount Barker that would be better suited for this discussion.

Let’s try to keep this thread about current AdMet trains.
The literal start of this thread was discussion about potential future changes and upgrades to the Adelaide train system.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#5531 Post by gnrc_louis » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:41 pm

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5532 Post by SRW » Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:08 pm

Few thoughts:
  • The preliminary target of a fully electric bus fleet by 2050 is not nearly ambitious enough. I hope the final business case targets within 10-15 years. I would love to see O-Bahn routes fully converted first as part of greener, cleaner and quieter Grenfell/Currie transit mall.
  • The bit about "options to “redevelop, expand or replace” existing inner-city bus depots" is interesting. If this implication is to offload for capital, I imagine UniSA would be very interested in the Currie Street depot (especially if the remand centre is eventually relocated as has been rumored).
  • You'd have to worry for Grange given the groundwork being laid by statements such as "The Grange line will also require a track infrastructure upgrade in the short [to] medium term."
Last edited by SRW on Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep Adelaide Weird

MT269
High Rise Poster!

#5533 Post by MT269 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:14 pm

The current buses that operate on the O'bahn are almost silent in a healthy condition, excluding the solitary Mercedes-Benz bus, which will be gone by 2025. At governed speed, a leaking tap can be louder. But given that they are machines which are used near continuously, occasionally a mechanical fault is encountered, even on a Scania. I rarely see them break down at all though.

The new buses are not exactly the most comfortable ones to ride. The older ones are less bouncy, with less vibrations. But I'm veering off topic.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#5534 Post by ml69 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:04 am

SRW wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:08 pm
Few thoughts:
  • The preliminary target of a fully electric bus fleet by 2050 is not nearly amitious enough. I hope the final business case targets within 10-15 years. I would love to see O-Bahn routes fully converted first as part of greener, cleaner and quieter Grenfell/Currie transit mall.
  • The bit about "options to “redevelop, expand or replace” existing inner-city bus depots" is interesting. If this implication is to offload for capital, I imagine UniSA would be very interested in the Currie Street depot (especially if the remand centre is eventually relocated as has been rumored).
  • You'd have to worry for Grange given the groundwork being laid by statements such as "The Grange line will also require a track infrastructure upgrade in the short [to] medium term."
Why bother upgrading the Grange line when it’s probably used by a few hundred ppl per day? Decommission it.
Instead, extend a new electric rail line to West Lakes Mall via West Lakes Blvd and Brebner Drive. Then build a big park and ride … will be super-popular, not unlike TTP.
You will get 10x the patronage of Grange.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5535 Post by SRW » Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:12 am

ml69 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:04 am
SRW wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:08 pm
Few thoughts:
  • The preliminary target of a fully electric bus fleet by 2050 is not nearly amitious enough. I hope the final business case targets within 10-15 years. I would love to see O-Bahn routes fully converted first as part of greener, cleaner and quieter Grenfell/Currie transit mall.
Why bother upgrading the Grange line when it’s probably used by a few hundred ppl per day? Decommission it.
Instead, extend a new electric rail line to West Lakes Mall via West Lakes Blvd and Brebner Drive. Then build a big park and ride … will be super-popular, not unlike TTP.
You will get 10x the patronage of Grange.
I'd agree but can't see it happening.
Keep Adelaide Weird