#Official Defence Thread

All other development discussion.
ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: #Official Defence Thread

#346 Post by ghs » Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:40 pm

They can lease US subs, which has already been mentioned as a possibility.
I have never heard anything so ridiculous in my life.

Submarines aren’t normally available for rent lol.

If the US rented submarines to Australia, then the US would have a capability gap !

It seems that we have keyboard warriors on this forum who have no experience in the defence industry.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#347 Post by rev » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:03 am

ghs wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:40 pm
They can lease US subs, which has already been mentioned as a possibility.
I have never heard anything so ridiculous in my life.

Submarines aren’t normally available for rent lol.

If the US rented submarines to Australia, then the US would have a capability gap !

It seems that we have keyboard warriors on this forum who have no experience in the defence industry.
Here, as usual, someone else doing the basic research for your lazy ignorant ass. Two of the most respected defence publications online.

https://www.navaltoday.com/2021/09/23/a ... ting-subs/
https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news ... ered-boats

Even ASPI talks about it.
https://www.aspistrategist.org.au/nucle ... e-options/

Armed forces leasing ships and more is a very real thing.
https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news ... -roro-ship
https://theprint.in/defence/navy-could- ... er/556788/
https://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Greec ... nce-627065
https://learngerman.dw.com/en/german-ar ... a-44212763

We're going to be left with (your favourite new phrase) "a capability gap", thanks to your dick head mate SCOMO and the dick heads in Labor.
So the only options in the interim are 1) extend the life of the Collins, 2) lease subs, 3) buy off the shelf built in the US or UK and forgo building all 8 subs here in Australia, only building maybe 5 or 6 here.

ghs

#348 Post by ghs » Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:26 pm

NTRabbit wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:40 pm

Edinburgh is the home of the RAAFs Maritime and Strategic Surveillance wing, which is currently our P-8 Poseidon squadron, the last remaining AP-3C Orions awaiting retirement, and in the future our MQ-4 Triton drone squadron, and MC-55A Peregrine SIGINT/ELINT squadron. Edinburgh has been the home for that for many decades for various reasons. As the P-8 Poseidon and the E-7A Wedgetail are both 737 derivatives (737-800EX and 737NG), it makes sense to headquarter them at one location for logistical purposes, one maintenance facility shared between the two.
From memory the wedgies came in to service about 15 years ago. If your argument above is true then why weren’t they based at Edinburgh right from the start ?

I still maintain that flooding issues is a major concern at RAAF base Amberley.

rev

#349 Post by rev » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:07 am

ghs wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:26 pm
NTRabbit wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:40 pm

Edinburgh is the home of the RAAFs Maritime and Strategic Surveillance wing, which is currently our P-8 Poseidon squadron, the last remaining AP-3C Orions awaiting retirement, and in the future our MQ-4 Triton drone squadron, and MC-55A Peregrine SIGINT/ELINT squadron. Edinburgh has been the home for that for many decades for various reasons. As the P-8 Poseidon and the E-7A Wedgetail are both 737 derivatives (737-800EX and 737NG), it makes sense to headquarter them at one location for logistical purposes, one maintenance facility shared between the two.
From memory the wedgies came in to service about 15 years ago. If your argument above is true then why weren’t they based at Edinburgh right from the start ?

I still maintain that flooding issues is a major concern at RAAF base Amberley.
Stop busting our balls about it then, and go offer your expertise to the experts at the RAAF since you know better then they do.

ghs

#350 Post by ghs » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:40 pm

Anyone who doubts that flooding at Amberley is a big problem, please look
at this website:

https://www.fkg.com.au/project/raaf-bas ... -immunity/

[Shuz]

#351 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:47 pm

Can this thread just be locked already for a bit, this conspiracy rabble is just getting ridiculous and there's no actual relevant defence news.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

ghs

#352 Post by ghs » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:49 pm

Our national security is currently severely compromised.

For you guys who think differently. What will the plan be if world war 3 breaks out and its bucketing down at Amberley ?

rev

#353 Post by rev » Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:56 pm

This thread isn't about discussing the flooding in another state or about your dumb ideas regarding WW3 and how you think China is going to wipe us out unless SCUMO is re-elected.

This thread is for posting news/updates on defence related developments in South Australia, such as the work being undertaken to upgrade/expand the Osborne ship yards and the work being undertaken to expand the RAAF base.

You've been told numerous times, by a couple people, that certain aircraft will be moved to SA because of upgrades to facilities that can accommodate them and other aircraft based on a similar base model. We don't know, nor give a shit if it's got anything to do with flooding in Queensland. Go ask the ADF and take it up with them.

I don't know about anyone else, but I really don't give a shit about a possible WW3 either.

ghs

Re: #Official Defence Thre

#354 Post by ghs » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:55 pm

rev wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:56 pm
This thread isn't about discussing the flooding in another state or about your dumb ideas regarding WW3 and how you think China is going to wipe us out unless SCUMO is re-elected.
Firstly, no need to get shirty just because I have more defence knowledge than you.

Secondly, I believe that if Scum Morrison wins the election then SA is in a ‘check mate’ position when it comes
to defence. A significant proportion of the defence investment will need to be made here in SA.

Not only is Amberley a risk when it comes to flooding, Williamtown is as well. This further entrenches SA as the best state
for defence work. We should see a huge bonanza of investment if liberal win.

cmet
High Rise Poster!

#355 Post by cmet » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:45 pm

Two of the most annoying people on this forum battling it out, you love to see it!!

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#356 Post by SRW » Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:46 pm

More ominous defense news for SA from this Coalition federal government, following the subs debacle and WA shipbuilding announcements. The 12 or so reaper drones ($1.5 bn) due to be based out at Edinburgh and anchor the development of multi-nation service hub have been axed: https://asiapacificdefencereporter.com/ ... cancelled/
Keep Adelaide Weird

rev

#357 Post by rev » Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:01 pm

SRW wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:46 pm
More ominous defense news for SA from this Coalition federal government, following the subs debacle and WA shipbuilding announcements. The 12 or so reaper drones ($1.5 bn) due to be based out at Edinburgh and anchor the development of multi-nation service hub have been axed: https://asiapacificdefencereporter.com/ ... cancelled/
I wonder if they'll keep the Triton program.

[Shuz]

#358 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:29 pm

Sorry, whats that sound I hear? Crickets.

Didn't some pathetic troll bang on incessantly that defence in SA would be better off under a Coalition government?

You have your answer. It's no.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

ghs

#359 Post by ghs » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:44 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:29 pm

Didn't some pathetic troll bang on incessantly that defence in SA would be better off under a Coalition government?

Mate, in 2012/13 under labor defence spending dropped to 1.56% of gdp. The lowest level since 1938.

To put things into comparison, the US spends nearly 5% of gdp on defence.

The media isn’t calling the upcoming election a khaki election for nothing.

If labor wins the election, our country will be vulnerable to the likes of Xi Jinping.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#360 Post by Pistol » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:25 pm

ghs wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:44 pm
[Shuz] wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:29 pm

Mate, in 2012/13 under labor defence spending dropped to 1.56% of gdp. The lowest level since 1938.

To put things into comparison, the US spends nearly 5% of gdp on defence.

The media isn’t calling the upcoming election a khaki election for nothing.

If labor wins the election, our country will be vulnerable to the likes of Xi Jinping.
We would be vulnerable to China even if we spent 100% of GDP...
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken