News & Developments: Bowden TOD

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Developments: Bowden TOD

#646 Post by SBD » Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:11 am

NTRabbit wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:11 pm
Nathan wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:38 pm
What I don't get is there's plenty of space to kick a footy — you don't need a full size oval unless you're playing a full 18 per side game. Josiah Mitton Reserve, Tarband Avenue Reserve, Albert Greenshields Reserve, and Thomas Harkness Reserve have sufficient room. Even somewhere like Emu Park has enough for a smaller game of kick to kick. And if you really need to boot it, then there's oodles of unused flat fields on the other side of Park Tce.
It's the same as the Torrens pedestrian bridge matchday vs any other day problem - 5 days a week there's enough oval space for everyone and their dog, and plenty of parks to have a bit of a kick. Then suddenly on Saturday and Sunday, with countless amateur clubs that need to support A+B+C Mens, A+B Womens, an U18 Girls, an U17.5 boys, an U16 girls, an U15 boys, an U14 girls, and an U13 boys, there aren't enough ovals across the metro area, and pushing their limits turns the ovals to mush through overuse before the end of the season.
Lots of football clubs have merged or closed across the state in the last few decades. I imagine many of them had ovals that are now unused. Even SANFL in the suburbs merged some clubs. Do the ovals still exist?

Nathan

#647 Post by Nathan » Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:45 am

SBD wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:11 am
NTRabbit wrote:
Nathan wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:38 pm
What I don't get is there's plenty of space to kick a footy — you don't need a full size oval unless you're playing a full 18 per side game. Josiah Mitton Reserve, Tarband Avenue Reserve, Albert Greenshields Reserve, and Thomas Harkness Reserve have sufficient room. Even somewhere like Emu Park has enough for a smaller game of kick to kick. And if you really need to boot it, then there's oodles of unused flat fields on the other side of Park Tce.
It's the same as the Torrens pedestrian bridge matchday vs any other day problem - 5 days a week there's enough oval space for everyone and their dog, and plenty of parks to have a bit of a kick. Then suddenly on Saturday and Sunday, with countless amateur clubs that need to support A+B+C Mens, A+B Womens, an U18 Girls, an U17.5 boys, an U16 girls, an U15 boys, an U14 girls, and an U13 boys, there aren't enough ovals across the metro area, and pushing their limits turns the ovals to mush through overuse before the end of the season.
Lots of football clubs have merged or closed across the state in the last few decades. I imagine many of them had ovals that are now unused. Even SANFL in the suburbs merged some clubs. Do the ovals still exist?
Of course they do, the suburbs are riddled with them. Do a fly around in the maps app of your choice, and I'd say it'd be over 3/4 of the parks you find that are larger than a single lot have some kind of sporting field - football/cricket or occasionally soccer, as their primary function.

It's frustratingly uniform. It's pretty much a single oval, with a small kids playground tucked away in one of the corners. Maybe it has a BBQ and an Exeloo. Or it has 2 or 3 ovals, a club room, off street parking, a larger "adventure" playground, and some tennis/basketball courts. That's it, almost every single park we build is one of those two.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#648 Post by gnrc_louis » Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:17 pm

Nathan wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:45 am
SBD wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:11 am
NTRabbit wrote:

Of course they do, the suburbs are riddled with them. Do a fly around in the maps app of your choice, and I'd say it'd be over 3/4 of the parks you find that are larger than a single lot have some kind of sporting field - football/cricket or occasionally soccer, as their primary function.

It's frustratingly uniform. It's pretty much a single oval, with a small kids playground tucked away in one of the corners. Maybe it has a BBQ and an Exeloo. Or it has 2 or 3 ovals, a club room, off street parking, a larger "adventure" playground, and some tennis/basketball courts. That's it, almost every single park we build is one of those two.
Exactly this. It’s what people perceive green space “should” be. It’s a very antiquated view and ignores the reality that for a space of that size, it isn’t actually used all that frequently.

Nort

#649 Post by Nort » Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:21 pm

SBD wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:08 am
[Shuz] wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:49 am
TBH - this is just poor scheduling trying to fit so many games on the weekend. I don't see why the junior grades can't play on weeknights?

Also, football training needs a massive rethink. Very rarely is a full field utilised. I don't see why training can't be undertaken in other parks for runs and drills other than main football grounds.

It's not a planning issue, it's an administration and cultural issue that has rigidly existed for decades that could stand to benefit from a different perspective and change.
I don’t have kids for personal experience, but I suspect that winding down from a weeknight match then a good nights sleep ready for school the next day would be a challenge.
Lots of kids teams rely on parents for support, coaching, etc. Which means you don't really want games starting before 6pm at the absolute earliest to ensure they've got time to get there after work. Then the whole evening is effectively gone like you say.

All that said, Brompton should absolutely be more dense inner city living. The fact it's a large empty space for development even negates lots of the issues you can get with trying to squeeze high density developments into low density residential streets. If more ovals are wanted the parkland is literally next door.

Algernon

#650 Post by Algernon » Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:52 am

Nort wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:21 pm
SBD wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:08 am
[Shuz] wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:49 am
TBH - this is just poor scheduling trying to fit so many games on the weekend. I don't see why the junior grades can't play on weeknights?

Also, football training needs a massive rethink. Very rarely is a full field utilised. I don't see why training can't be undertaken in other parks for runs and drills other than main football grounds.

It's not a planning issue, it's an administration and cultural issue that has rigidly existed for decades that could stand to benefit from a different perspective and change.
I don’t have kids for personal experience, but I suspect that winding down from a weeknight match then a good nights sleep ready for school the next day would be a challenge.
Lots of kids teams rely on parents for support, coaching, etc. Which means you don't really want games starting before 6pm at the absolute earliest to ensure they've got time to get there after work. Then the whole evening is effectively gone like you say.

All that said, Brompton should absolutely be more dense inner city living. The fact it's a large empty space for development even negates lots of the issues you can get with trying to squeeze high density developments into low density residential streets. If more ovals are wanted the parkland is literally next door.
Exactly. I'd also add that this is a transit oriented development.... high density is the whole point.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#651 Post by NTRabbit » Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:30 pm

Except the MAB proposal wasn't really all that dense given the amount of land being put over to more unnecessary retail and a questionable hotel

Nathan

#652 Post by Nathan » Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:01 pm

NTRabbit wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:30 pm
Except the MAB proposal wasn't really all that dense given the amount of land being put over to more unnecessary retail and a questionable hotel
No, the area definitely needs retail (that isn't within Plant 4). There's way too many things you have to unfortunately jump in a car and drive elsewhere to buy/do, so a local high street is long overdue. I also think a hotel is good for the area — despite having the Entertainment Centre, Coopers Stadium, and The Gov, there's nowhere anywhere close to stay except for some AirBNBs.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#653 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:45 pm

Nathan wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:01 pm
NTRabbit wrote:
No, the area definitely needs retail (that isn't within Plant 4). There's way too many things you have to unfortunately jump in a car and drive elsewhere to buy/do, so a local high street is long overdue. I also think a hotel is good for the area — despite having the Entertainment Centre, Coopers Stadium, and The Gov, there's nowhere anywhere close to stay except for some AirBNBs.
A small pedestrian mall in the area would be good. Most of the streets are laid in a grid, so it's hard to choose one to sacrifice for a pedestrian mall.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#654 Post by NTRabbit » Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:24 am

Nathan wrote:
NTRabbit wrote:
It sits on a train and tram stop that both lead into the heart of city retail less than 10 minutes ride away, it doesn't need more retail.

Nathan

#655 Post by Nathan » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:36 am

NTRabbit wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:24 am
Nathan wrote:
NTRabbit wrote:
It sits on a train and tram stop that both lead into the heart of city retail less than 10 minutes ride away, it doesn't need more retail.
If I need to go to the chemist, or pick up a parcel, or grab a few things for dinner, I'm not catching a tram to the city. The goal is for a mixed used community, not another a suburban dormitory.

Nathan

#656 Post by Nathan » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:54 am

Dumbing down of the masterplan continues. Townhouses planned for the corner of Gibson & Fourth St overlooking the town square, which depending which corner they actually mean, was zoned for 6 or 8 levels in the masterplan (and marked as a prominent corner for ground level activation). Townhouses in the mix are fine, but on the main street overlooking the central park of the development is such a wasted opportunity.

https://lifemoreinteresting.com.au/happ ... at-bowden/

6 Star Green Star luxury family living arrives at Bowden

True family living will soon be available at Bowden, with the development of 19 townhouses boasting the most spacious floorplans seen in the precinct to date.

Construction of the 3 and 3-plus bedroom luxury homes will begin by the end of the year and will be one of South Australia’s first privately funded 6 Star Green Star townhouse developments.

The boutique-scale project, on the corner of Fourth and Gibson streets, will deliver generous square footage for owners in the form of multiple living areas and king-size bedrooms, catering specifically for young families needing space to grow or downsizers still wanting room to move as part of their quality lifestyle. All properties will be Torrens titled and include off-street parking. Some of the dwellings will feature private rooftop terraces overlooking the Bowden Town Park.

Developed by locally-founded company Wellstone, in partnership with Tomlin Projects, the townhouses will be constructed primarily of reclaimed brick, with barestone concrete and metal detailing to blend with the neighbouring heritage property. Local firm Walter Brooke have been appointed as Architects.

“We’ve been watching the Bowden precinct with interest for some time, looking for the right project and location and this is it,” Wellstone director Damon Semanic said.

“This development is much lower density than others that have preceded it. We aren’t looking to squeeze as many townhouses on here as we can.

Andrew Tomlin, Director of Tomlin Projects says: “The designs are focused on larger household formations for families and downsizers who want something more aspirational and luxurious. They will include large living areas and second living areas and larger bedrooms but still at a competitive price.”

Three of the 19 townhouses will be offered as affordable housing through the state government’s HomeSeeker program.

Renewal SA General Manager, Project Delivery and Property, Todd Perry said the Wellstone development spoke to the pivot the Bowden project took 18 months ago to meet market demand by moving away from delivering larger scale apartment projects to delivering more boutique apartments and additional townhouses.

“Residents love the village life, but they also want space to be able to move and grow and maximise their lifestyle at Bowden,” Mr Perry said.

The development will leverage a mix of intelligent design elements that seek to utilise natural resources such as heat, natural light and airflow to achieve a 6 Star Green Star energy rating, so there is less reliance on artificial heating and cooling. Windows will be orientated to maximise solar access. Indigenous plant species requiring less water will also be used, while locally sourced materials will reduce freight emissions.

Mr Semanic said this development was designed to make a statement.

“We are used to dealing with very discerning buyers, so we are wanting to bring something a bit different to Bowden,” Mr Semanic said.

“Our projects are about leaving a legacy, not just in design but impact. This is a marque area for Adelaide, and we want to set a new standard here and push others to reach that standard.

“We’re pleased to be collaborating on this with Tomlin Projects who share our philosophy and have developed a following for design-focused projects in premium areas of Adelaide.”

Strong attention has also been paid to returning green space back to the site enabled by front yard gardens.

“Bowden has one of the highest concentrations of Green Star homes in the country,” Mr Perry said. “The precinct is built on the foundation of sustainability.

“For buyers, a green home is no longer a ‘nice to have’ but a ‘must have’ on their checklist of things they want in a home, so a development that expands the green credentials of Bowden is a formidable addition to the market and the precinct.”

Residents can also expect some bold and interesting architecture to activate and heighten the project’s corner location that overlooks the Plant 3 and Plant 4 retail precinct and Bowden Town Park.

“The project lends itself to a more premium type of offering because of its proximity to the park with view corridors from a number of the dwellings,” Mr Semanic he said.

While Wellstone has delivered project’s locally, it has achieved considerable success on the eastern seaboard in recent years, developing ultra-luxurious properties in Sydney with record price tags upward of $10 million.

Mr Semanic said the Bowden development was deep into the planning phase and that the team was hopeful of launching construction later this year.

“We’ve learnt a lot of lessons elsewhere and we want to bring back that best practice to Adelaide,” he said.

“We are born and bred Adelaideans, so we know Adelaide is a well-kept secret. Once you’ve been away from Adelaide, you appreciate it more. Even people who have never been here before are being drawn to Adelaide. You can get anywhere within 20 minutes, so to have a Torrens titled property so close to the city with so much amenity, people are really starting to notice.”

ChillyPhilly

#657 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:48 pm

I've become sadly disappointed by how Bowden has panned out over the past years. The few times I have ventured through, it has been covered in cars.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Nathan

#658 Post by Nathan » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:54 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:48 pm
I've become sadly disappointed by how Bowden has panned out over the past years. The few times I have ventured through, it has been covered in cars.
It's my biggest disappointment too. Far too many residents park a second vehicle permanently on the street. And discussion about any development amongst the community almost always comes back to car parking and traffic (and even when the building explicitly doesn't have parking like Nightingale you get the usual "but I need a car, so I expect everyone does" arguments).

Modbury_Man
Gold-Member ;)

#659 Post by Modbury_Man » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:00 pm

Nathan wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:54 pm
ChillyPhilly wrote:
It's my biggest disappointment too. Far too many residents park a second vehicle permanently on the street. And discussion about any development amongst the community almost always comes back to car parking and traffic (and even when the building explicitly doesn't have parking like Nightingale you get the usual "but I need a car, so I expect everyone does" arguments).
Agree. Is it in part that people feel they still need that second car? Its incredibly hard to get by PT to some important shopping precincts very close to Bowden e.g. Prospect, Brickworks.

I've always wondered if some inner suburban bus route could assist with these connections...like the 300 Suburban Connector bus but say Bowden - Prospect - Walkerville - Kent Town - Fullarton Rd - Greenhill Rd - Railway Tce - Brickworks - Bowden

Nathan

#660 Post by Nathan » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:13 pm

Modbury_Man wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:00 pm
Nathan wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:54 pm
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Agree. Is it in part that people feel they still need that second car? Its incredibly hard to get by PT to some important shopping precincts very close to Bowden e.g. Prospect, Brickworks.

I've always wondered if some inner suburban bus route could assist with these connections...like the 300 Suburban Connector bus but say Bowden - Prospect - Walkerville - Kent Town - Fullarton Rd - Greenhill Rd - Railway Tce - Brickworks - Bowden
It's why I've been very vocal about the need for a local highstreet in Bowden — which was in the masterplan, but still not delivered on. It's very much a chicken/egg scenario, so I really believe RenewalSA should be doing some cherry picking, and short term rent subsidies, to get the low hanging fruit established so that people don't need to hop in a car and go to another suburb for their errands. Greengrocer, butcher, chemist, GP, post office, etc. I also think the current lack of such basics is why they're having trouble selling apartment projects (amongst general incompetence).

However, I do think the need to drive elsewhere for things is a reason to still need a car, but not necessarily why residents need a second or third car. I think that's more down to general car-centric culture of Adelaide and personal habits. RenewalSA and the sales team should really be hammering home the benefits of downsizing the number of cars needed — by living in Bowden you can go from a 2 car household to a 1 car household, and save $$$ every year by doing so (car payments + registration + insurance + maintenance + fuel).