News & Developments: Bowden TOD

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Pistol
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Developments: Bowden TOD

#706 Post by Pistol » Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:07 pm

Fantastic outcome, much better than an oval...
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

JK99
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#707 Post by JK99 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:54 pm

I know it's a long shot, but is there anyone local to Bowden that could take some happy snaps for me.

Our build is part of the 5 Drayton Street development that has stalled for the better part of 7 months. I'm not getting any correspondence from the builder either having tried multiple times :?

As I live interstate I'm unable to easily get there.

Would love to see what the site is looking like.

Cheers guys!

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#708 Post by Nathan » Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:18 pm

JK99 wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:54 pm
I know it's a long shot, but is there anyone local to Bowden that could take some happy snaps for me.

Our build is part of the 5 Drayton Street development that has stalled for the better part of 7 months. I'm not getting any correspondence from the builder either having tried multiple times :?

Cheers guys!
That's Tapestry isn't it? From memory it's all site works.

JK99
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#709 Post by JK99 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:23 pm

Nathan wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:18 pm
JK99 wrote:

Cheers guys!
That's Tapestry isn't it? From memory it's all site works.
Thanks for the reply mate, seems there is some action.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#710 Post by rev » Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:12 pm

JK99 wrote:

Cheers guys!
Many construction sites are still in shut down from the Christmas/New Year break.
I live about 5 minutes away I'll drive by probably tomorrow if you still need pics.

JK99
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#711 Post by JK99 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:29 pm

Thanks mate, much appreciated.

Elvis
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#712 Post by Elvis » Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:56 am

I frequent the Plants 3 & 4 quite a bit and normally park in the vacant block on Park Tce next door to it, along with many others.

I saw a sign that an office building was going there which I guess means that parking lot is no longer going to be available.

What are the plans for parking going forward? I know they originally wanted Bowden to be a "no-cars" zone but that just isn't realistic. At any one time there are usually more than 20 cars in that park who would need to find parks elsewhere (and street parking is already difficult) or otherwise they'll just not bother going there anymore.

ChillyPhilly

#713 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:35 am

Elvis wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:56 am
I frequent the Plants 3 & 4 quite a bit and normally park in the vacant block on Park Tce next door to it, along with many others.

I saw a sign that an office building was going there which I guess means that parking lot is no longer going to be available.

What are the plans for parking going forward? I know they originally wanted Bowden to be a "no-cars" zone but that just isn't realistic. At any one time there are usually more than 20 cars in that park who would need to find parks elsewhere (and street parking is already difficult) or otherwise they'll just not bother going there anymore.
'No cars' is possible. It's one of the most centralised, accessible locations of Adelaide: train, tram, bus, cycling and pedestrian connections exist. People only travel there via car because it is an option. This option can be restricted to force behaviours to adapt, or else it will become culturally difficult to encourage future change.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Nathan

#714 Post by Nathan » Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:26 am

Plus there's a multi-storey car park 300m away, that's mostly empty unless there's something on at the Entertainment Centre.

But my god, so many residents are obsessed with parking. Always complaining about there not being enough, when the only reason the streets are full is because they're permanently storing their second or third car there (despite the time limits).

rev

#715 Post by rev » Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:41 pm

JK99 wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:29 pm
Thanks mate, much appreciated.
Sorry, totally forgot. There wasn't much point taking photos as if it's where Google Maps is showing 5 Drayton Street, there's not much happening at all. Fenced off, green scrim around the fence, Renewal SA banners closer to the train line. Everything on the inside of the fence looks pretty much as it does on Google Maps street view.

If it's the Tapestry development, then that's progressing. Looked like they aren't far off doing foundations and what not, 'internal' roads for the development looked done.

There is another development a little further down the road, E78 I think, that's progressing well.

JK99
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#716 Post by JK99 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:20 am

Llessur2002

#717 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:45 am

Cheers for posting this - was an interesting read.

Interesting about the old pugholes, I didn't know there were any on the site. They might host some interesting materials as typically they will have just been infilled with various nasties, especially being bang-smack in the middle of an industrial area like this.

I've heard rumours about a couple of the reserves along Hawker Street only being there as the ground beneath them was so full of asbestos that it was easier to cap them and leave it in place.

rev

#718 Post by rev » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:21 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:45 am

Interesting about the old pugholes, I didn't know there were any on the site. They might host some interesting materials as typically they will have just been infilled with various nasties, especially being bang-smack in the middle of an industrial area like this.

I've heard rumours about a couple of the reserves along Hawker Street only being there as the ground beneath them was so full of asbestos that it was easier to cap them and leave it in place.
Ha, I remember the earth works around Hawker Street back in the 1990's, most of it was toxic, even some of the land where the old incinerator still stands.
The gas works site is probably far worse though then all of them combined.

Algernon

#719 Post by Algernon » Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:53 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:45 am

That whole area has been pretty contaminated over the years. Back some 50+ years ago, the state soccer federation of the day had its HQ at Rowley Park built on top of one of many clay pits in the locale. They eventually moved on because they famously couldn't grow a blade of grass there. It then became the Rowley Park Speedway, much to the chagrin of the local residents. While not strictly located close to the gasworks site, it speaks to how far and wide the contamination of the general area runs.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#720 Post by Goodsy » Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:28 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:35 am
Elvis wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:56 am

'No cars' is possible. It's one of the most centralised, accessible locations of Adelaide: train, tram, bus, cycling and pedestrian connections exist. People only travel there via car because it is an option. This option can be restricted to force behaviours to adapt, or else it will become culturally difficult to encourage future change.
No cars is possible, but no trucks isn't. A lot of Bowden is DHA, every Christmas when service members get relocated there are removalist trucks all over Bowden.