News & Developments: Bowden TOD

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Developments: Bowden TOD

#676 Post by gnrc_louis » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:01 pm

Nathan wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:45 pm
gnrc_louis wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:18 pm
Nathan wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:30 pm
My guess is that the "complex issues" holding up the review, are that the review isn't giving the result Mali was hoping.
Hah yep! Has there been any consultation among Bowden residents on what they want? I’m guessing not - Mali knows best, of course.
From Malinauskas? None that I'm aware of. RenewalSA previously held consultation over a couple of years, which technically went out the window when they decided to off-load the land — but MABs proposal is fairly in line with the outcome of that consultation as it turned out.

I've twice written to him (both prior to the election) but on neither occasion did I receive any acknowledgement that he had even received them, let alone a response. I know I'm not the only local who did so either, so every time the government trots out the "widespread community disappointment" in the Crows being snubbed, I'm left bemused as to who they're getting that feedback from.
AdelaideNow comments probably. It’s a display of total arrogance from Mali to profess to speak for Bowden residents (when he clearly hasn’t consulted with them and ignores them) and to know better than professional urban planners. I would be very amused if his government were to overturn the decision and subsequently give the land to the crows, for that to be then met with widespread protests from Bowden residents.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#677 Post by A-Town » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:44 pm

It's incredible how long this shitshow has dragged on for. Shameful behaviour from a populist one trick pony of a Premier.

How long will his media honeymoon period last?

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#678 Post by gnrc_louis » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:00 pm

A-Town wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:44 pm
It's incredible how long this shitshow has dragged on for. Shameful behaviour from a populist one trick pony of a Premier.

If you’re waiting for the Adelaide media (looking at you, The Advertiser) to ask genuine policy questions and hold a state government to account on such questions, then enjoy being eternally disappointed. InDaily maybe less so, but even they seem to have taken a nimby, anti-development turn of late.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#679 Post by A-Town » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:08 pm

gnrc_louis wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:00 pm
A-Town wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:44 pm

If you’re waiting for the Adelaide media (looking at you, The Advertiser) to ask genuine policy questions and hold a state government to account on such questions, then enjoy being eternally disappointed. InDaily maybe less so, but even they seem to have taken a nimby, anti-development turn of late.
It's not just The Advertiser who fail to ask tough questions in this state, it's the ABC and the television networks as well. In times of a housing crisis, a development like this which has affordable housing options and in an area so close to good public transport, should be fast-tracked, not delayed due to political motives and agendas.

It's sickening behaviour and the Premier should be held to account.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#680 Post by gnrc_louis » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:51 pm

Mali posted an IG story of himself visiting the almost finished nightingale development. Can someone remind him of what the MAB development also includes?

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#681 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:23 am

This might be the source of the "complex issues" spoken of earlier - the Crows don't want it any more.
Adelaide Football Club to establish its new home base at Thebarton Oval

Adelaide will establish its new home base at Thebarton Oval.

The Crows had been weighing up between Thebarton and the former Brompton Gasworks, which the State Government awarded to a Melbourne-based developer in January.

Adelaide chairman John Olsen said the new home, which would encompass two ovals, as well as indoor training headquarters and community space, would be world-class.

“This development will underpin our football-first focus and it will benefit our players, coaches, staff, corporate partners, members and supporters, as well as the local community, for many years to come,” Olsen said.

“Aside from being a state-of-the-art headquarters for all players, coaches and staff, it will be our AFLW team’s home ground, having dedicated facilities for both athletes and spectators.”

The State Government welcomed the Adelaide Crows announcement, a spokesman said.

“The government’s Brompton Gasworks site review is assessing complex issues that remain subject to ongoing review,” the spokesman added.

“It is expected that a final report will be presented to Government in the near future for its deliberation, with the Planning Minister to respond when Parliament returns.”
From: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/af ... 8dff94a421

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#682 Post by gnrc_louis » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:38 am

This is great news!! Now for the MAB development to proceed :lol:
Last edited by gnrc_louis on Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Shuz]

#683 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:39 am

We knew this ages ago, it was the worst kept secret.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Nathan

#684 Post by Nathan » Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:46 pm

Thank fuck for that.

Now I just hope Malinauskas hasn’t scared MAB into walking away and we’re left with nothing at the Gasworks site.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#685 Post by A-Town » Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:33 pm

Nathan wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:46 pm
Thank fuck for that.

Now I just hope Malinauskas hasn’t scared MAB into walking away and we’re left with nothing at the Gasworks site.
That's my fear too. Or Labor will just manipulate the findings of the report to save themselves the embarrassment that the original plan was fine, and that we've just wasted the last 6 months.

Llessur2002

#686 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:38 am

Review is still going ahead apparently...
Crows headquarters: First pictures revealed as government addresses Brompton review

Transport Minister Tom Koutsantonis says a review into the Crows’ Brompton snub will charge ahead as the club unveils a first look at its new Thebarton headquarters.

On Wednesday, the Adelaide Football Club revealed it had signed off on its new headquarters at Thebarton Oval, which include a “world-class” facility for the team – and the community.

The Thebarton site was confirmed after the Crows’ bid for the former Brompton Gasworks site was shut down by the Liberals last year, an independent review into which was opened when the Malinauskas government took power.

Mr Koutsantonis, who lives in Torrensville, said Wednesday’s announcement by the Crows would have no impact on the review and its findings would be made publicly available when completed.

He said it was “open space,” not the football club, that was at the heart of the review.

“One of the biggest concerns that we had about the Brompton site wasn’t just the Crows, it was about open space. We deserve somewhere to take our children to kick a footy, we deserve somewhere with a playground and open green space,” Mr Koutsantonis said.

Crows chairman John Olsen said the move to Thebarton became more appealing as new plans for the South Road tunnels ensured Kings Reserve would be available from the outset, rather than be used as storage for seven to 10 years, allowing the Crows to create a second oval.

On Thursday morning, Liberal Planning spokeswoman Michelle Lensink called for the Brompton Gasworks review to be made public.

The review which began in May would be finished in six weeks, Ms Lensink said.

“He (The Premier) promised to launch a review to see if the Crows had been unfairly rejected during the decision-making process and in the meantime the Adelaide Football Club has picked a homebase elsewhere,” Ms Lensink said,

“That means Labor’s Brompton Gasworks review is a complete waste of taxpayer funds and time because the Crows are never moving to that site.”
From: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/ad ... 82c59bdee0

There's more to the article but relates to the Thebarton proposal so I'll post that in the other thread.

Kouts' comments in that both parts of the article sound a bit cold towards the Crows and their new plan - I wonder if the club had initially indicated to Mali that they would proceed with the Brompton development if the review overturned the MAB proposal and that this sudden commitment to Thebarton came as a bit of a shock?

Nathan

#687 Post by Nathan » Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:43 pm

Maybe the reason Malinauskas and Kouts want the oval so much is the goal posts for them to move.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#688 Post by Jaymz » Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:49 pm

Imagine this possible schmozzle.... Kouts cans the South Road tunnels, then the Crows current plans for Thebarton are unworkable.

Nothing would surprise me with this current bunch of amateurs.
Last edited by Jaymz on Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#689 Post by gnrc_louis » Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:49 pm

Wouldn't be surprised if the final outcome is something entirely symbolic like MAB dedicate an extra 5% to green space and create a small grass park or something similarly pointless.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#690 Post by gnrc_louis » Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:50 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:49 pm
Imagine this possible schmozzlle.... Kouts cans the South Road tunnels, then the Crows current plans for Thebarton are unworkable.

Nothing would surprise me with this current bunch of amateurs.
Won't happen.