News & Developments: Bowden TOD

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Jaymz
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Developments: Bowden TOD

#616 Post by Jaymz » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:16 pm

Nort wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:30 pm
Jaymz wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:23 pm
Nort wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:45 am

You realise they're talking about it as a practice and training facility primarily right? They won't be playing actual games there.
Yes I more than realise this, being an Adelaide Football Club paying member.
Right, and how many fans a week do you expect will be visiting this facility (with the Crows being the primary draw, not locals just using gym facilities etc)?
A gym open to the public hey? First I've heard of it, please fill us in some more.

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#617 Post by Nort » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:30 am

Jaymz wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:16 pm
Nort wrote:
Jaymz wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:23 pm

Yes I more than realise this, being an Adelaide Football Club paying member.
Right, and how many fans a week do you expect will be visiting this facility (with the Crows being the primary draw, not locals just using gym facilities etc)?
A gym open to the public hey? First I've heard of it, please fill us in some more.
Not necessarily that use case specifically, just anything that is useful for local residents (as that's one of the things that they have publicly talked about in trying to get support for their parklands and Bowden proposals).

Nathan

#618 Post by Nathan » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:56 am

Nort wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:30 am
Jaymz wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:16 pm
Nort wrote:

Not necessarily that use case specifically, just anything that is useful for local residents (as that's one of the things that they have publicly talked about in trying to get support for their parklands and Bowden proposals).
It wasn't much of a selling point for Bowden, considering it's already extremely well served by gyms. (Two within the development area, with another just about to open, and three more just outside within 5mins walking)

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#619 Post by Jaymz » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:42 pm

Do I think more fans will attend the Crows new home during the week? I really can't answer that, but I'd be pretty sure they'd be more likely to visit the Bowden site than Thebarton.... ease of access being one reason. But that decision has been made and we move on.

The members and supporters do tend to get more interested come finals time (if they are in it), with open training sessions and fan functions where they can interact with the players, view the faciliities etc. As for the gym, I couldn't see the players gym being open to the public for use, or even for viewing while the players are using it.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#620 Post by gnrc_louis » Tue May 03, 2022 10:12 pm

Nathan

#621 Post by Nathan » Tue May 03, 2022 11:10 pm

Whilst I was desperately hoping this would be Labor's tram right turn and disappear silently into the night, it's just a re-announcement about the review beginning. Still, it's a turd that just won't flush.
Independent review of Brompton Gasworks development deal going to MAB Corporation over Adelaide Crows

The Adelaide Crows’ bid for new headquarters might be revived by an independent review of the deal to hand the site to a Victorian developer.

The Adelaide Crows are being offered hope of reviving their torpedoed bid to build headquarters at the Brompton Gasworks by a government review that threatens to discard a Victorian developers’ deal for the site.

A review will be conducted of the former Liberal government’s decision in January to name MAB Corporation as the preferred proponent for the 5.81ha inner-west site, ahead of the Adelaide Football Club.

No deed or contract will be struck between MAB and the state land agency Renewal SA until the independent review is complete and assessed, although this does not preclude continued talks with the preferred proponent.

It is understood the review will be conducted swiftly, although a precise timeline is not known.

Housing and Urban Development Minister Nick Champion also released criteria and weightings that underpinned the decision to hand the prized land parcel to MAB.

These were 27.5 per cent apiece for “commercial offer” and “remediation and environmental strategy”; 25 per cent for “draft master plan, vision and guiding principles”; and 10 per cent apiece for “development delivery team” and “development program and timing”.

Mr Champion said the public release of the criteria and review fulfilled a commitment made by Labor in mid-February.

“Clearly, there is widespread community concern about this development and the manner in which it was handled by the Marshall Liberal government,” he said, in a statement.

“This is a significant opportunity to develop the inner-western suburbs on the fringe of the CBD and we want to ensure we get this right.”

The proposed scope of the review, to be conducted by an independent firm, will compare the criteria used to nominate MAB as the preferred proponent against factors including the economic and community benefit, along with the 30-year Adelaide plan.

Responding to Labor’s threat in February to tear up the contract, the-then Liberal treasurer Rob Lucas warned taxpayers would face the risk of costly legal action if the process was recklessly scuttled.

The Crows’ proposal included a mix of retail, hotel and short-term accommodation and office space, as well as food and drink outlets.

The project would have included more than double the amount of open space – 57 per cent – than MAB’s proposal.

At the time, Crows chairman John Olsen said the Gasworks was narrowly favoured as a site for a new club headquarters over Thebarton Oval, where the club would focus its plans, because it offered a freehold opportunity rather than a long-term lease.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#622 Post by A-Town » Wed May 04, 2022 10:58 pm

All Mali is doing is standing by his promise to review the former government's decision. Yes it was a political ploy that won over a few hardcore Crows nuffies, but it worked for him.

What's of greater concern was what he said on 5AA this afternoon, where he said that as the local member he was concerned about housing density within the area (too many dwellings that is), seemingly unaware that this area is part of the overall Bowden TOD.

Nathan

#623 Post by Nathan » Wed May 04, 2022 11:10 pm

A-Town wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 10:58 pm
What's of greater concern was what he said on 5AA this afternoon, where he said that as the local member he was concerned about housing density within the area (too many dwellings that is), seemingly unaware that this area is part of the overall Bowden TOD.

I know he likes popping into Plant 4. Does he think a place like that would be at all viable if it was in the middle of typical low density suburbia?

Nort

#624 Post by Nort » Thu May 05, 2022 8:50 am

A-Town wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 10:58 pm
All Mali is doing is standing by his promise to review the former government's decision. Yes it was a political ploy that won over a few hardcore Crows nuffies, but it worked for him.

FFS, it's the perfect area for high density. Easy access to major roads, close to both Train and Tram lines, walking distance into the CBD, and most of it being built on land that doesn't directly neighbour that many residents.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#625 Post by Pistol » Thu May 05, 2022 3:01 pm

I would be very surprised if Mali doesn't know this is part of the Bowden TOD noting that he literally lives just around the corner from it.
Would assume this is political spin - or looking after his patch of Bowden...
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Nathan

#626 Post by Nathan » Thu May 05, 2022 3:24 pm

I'd like to know where the "widespread community concern" is coming from, as pretty much anyone I've talked to in the area has been against the Crows proposal (particularly when given more detail about each proposal). The only "concern" has been about impacts on parking (of course :roll: ).

Nathan

#627 Post by Nathan » Fri May 27, 2022 4:00 pm

Sigh... this is going to end with both MAB and the Crows walking away and the site sitting empty for a decade isn't it?
Cloud lingers over Brompton gasworks redevelopment
https://indaily.com.au/news/2022/05/27/ ... velopment/

The Malinauskas Government won’t say whether talks are continuing with the Victorian developer picked ahead of the Adelaide Crows to develop the Brompton gasworks site, as it presses on with a review of the previous Marshall Government decision.

The state government is searching for an independent firm to review the former government’s decision to award Victorian developer MAB Corporation exclusive negotiating rights to remediate and develop the 5.8-hectare site just north of the CBD.

MAB’s master planned village proposal, worth $459 million, includes a 120-room hotel with associated piazza, cafes, restaurants and bars. It will also feature 207 townhouses, 305 market sale apartments, 120 affordable apartments and up to 200 build to rent and aged care dwellings.

There were four bidders, including the Adelaide Football Club, shortlisted by Renewal SA to remediate and redevelop the Brompton Gasworks.

The Crows’ plan incorporated 57 per cent open space compared with MAB’s 25 per cent, although it’s understood MAB’s commitment to site remediation swung the decision in its favour.

But Labor’s pre-election commitment to review the former government’s decision has thrown the Crows a potential lifeline in its bid for a new base at the site, despite the club indicating in January it would shift its sights to Thebarton.

Details around Renewal SA’s current negotiations with MAB Corporation remain unclear although the company has signed no development agreement with the state government, with Planning Minister Nick Champion saying no deed will be executed until the review is complete.

Shadow regional planning spokesperson Sam Telfer asked Champion in parliament last week whether Renewal SA was “still dealing with MAB Corporation as the preferred proponent of the Brompton Gasworks development”.

Champion did not directly answer the question, instead saying the former Marshall Government made the Brompton announcement “without consultation” and “refused to release any of the criteria or any of the weightings around this deal”.

“I could ask all of you questions. I could ask the former environment minister (David Speirs) whether he took an interest … in the most dirty, polluted site in South Australia, couldn’t I?” Champion told parliament on May 18.

“This review will look into whether or not … this agreement is consistent with the original approval for the Bowden Urban Village.

“So it’s a whole range of things; we can get into a whole speculative game, if you want to. We can really do that … but what I would do if I was you … would be to just wait for the government to implement its election policy and wait for the outcome of the review.”

Champion said the review would take six to eight weeks once an appropriate firm is appointed.

Telfer also asked Champion if he had “directed Renewal SA executives to cease work on finalising the development agreement” with MAB Corporation.

Champion responded: “I don’t know how many times I have to go through it. We announced a review before the election. We are currently in the process of implementing that review.”

It’s pretty simple: we are fulfilling our election commitments.”

InDaily also put questions to both Champion and Renewal SA asking whether there has been a ministerial direction for the agency to cease negotiations with MAB Corporation.

A Renewal SA spokesperson said: “The minister has previously stated that a Development Agreement will not be signed until a review is complete”.

Champion was also pressed in parliament on how many affordable houses MAB’s proposal would deliver compared to the other three shortlisted parties, but said it would be “inappropriate for me … to comment on what is a set of commercial relationships undertaken by Renewal”.

“In the same way it would be wrong for me to compare any other aspect of these deals, it would be inappropriate for me to compare …. on the presumption of the question,” Champion said.

“The government has announced a review and that’s the matter done.”

A Renewal SA spokesperson also told InDaily that “any details comparing the shortlisted proposals remain confidential”.

In an earlier parliamentary sitting on May 5, Telfer asked Champion whether the government had determined “what liability the taxpayers now face to compensate MAB as the preferred proponent for their sunk tender costs and lost revenue from the project?”.

Champion responded: “Again, you invite me to hypothecate about the future, whereas what we are actually going to do is implement our election policy, which is to have a review and then receive the review and then make decisions from that – it is simple.”

Champion’s office earlier this month disclosed the criteria weighting which informed Renewal SA’s Brompton decision:

Commercial Offer (27.5 per cent)
Remediation and Environmental Strategy (27.5 per cent)
Draft Master Plan, Vision and Guiding Principles (25 per cent)
Development Delivery Team (10 per cent)
Development Program and Timing (10 per cent).
Insiders told InDaily in April the points-based judging criteria that awarded exclusive negotiation rights to MAB “wasn’t even close”, both as an aggregate score and “in each of the individual categories”.

Shadow Attorney General Josh Teague asked Premier Peter Malinauskas in parliament on May 5 if “in case the review comes down in a way that he doesn’t like, will he commit now to accepting its outcome?”

In response, Malinauskas said: “I think the key component of the Member for Heysen’s question is: why are we so determined to honour our election commitments?”

“The answer is: because it’s the right thing to do.”

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#628 Post by A-Town » Fri May 27, 2022 8:34 pm

Nathan wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 4:00 pm
Sigh... this is going to end with both MAB and the Crows walking away and the site sitting empty for a decade isn't it?
Cloud lingers over Brompton gasworks redevelopment
https://indaily.com.au/news/2022/05/27/ ... velopment/

The Malinauskas Government won’t say whether talks are continuing with the Victorian developer picked ahead of the Adelaide Crows to develop the Brompton gasworks site, as it presses on with a review of the previous Marshall Government decision.

The state government is searching for an independent firm to review the former government’s decision to award Victorian developer MAB Corporation exclusive negotiating rights to remediate and develop the 5.8-hectare site just north of the CBD.

MAB’s master planned village proposal, worth $459 million, includes a 120-room hotel with associated piazza, cafes, restaurants and bars. It will also feature 207 townhouses, 305 market sale apartments, 120 affordable apartments and up to 200 build to rent and aged care dwellings.

There were four bidders, including the Adelaide Football Club, shortlisted by Renewal SA to remediate and redevelop the Brompton Gasworks.

The Crows’ plan incorporated 57 per cent open space compared with MAB’s 25 per cent, although it’s understood MAB’s commitment to site remediation swung the decision in its favour.

But Labor’s pre-election commitment to review the former government’s decision has thrown the Crows a potential lifeline in its bid for a new base at the site, despite the club indicating in January it would shift its sights to Thebarton.

Details around Renewal SA’s current negotiations with MAB Corporation remain unclear although the company has signed no development agreement with the state government, with Planning Minister Nick Champion saying no deed will be executed until the review is complete.

Shadow regional planning spokesperson Sam Telfer asked Champion in parliament last week whether Renewal SA was “still dealing with MAB Corporation as the preferred proponent of the Brompton Gasworks development”.

Champion did not directly answer the question, instead saying the former Marshall Government made the Brompton announcement “without consultation” and “refused to release any of the criteria or any of the weightings around this deal”.

“I could ask all of you questions. I could ask the former environment minister (David Speirs) whether he took an interest … in the most dirty, polluted site in South Australia, couldn’t I?” Champion told parliament on May 18.

“This review will look into whether or not … this agreement is consistent with the original approval for the Bowden Urban Village.

“So it’s a whole range of things; we can get into a whole speculative game, if you want to. We can really do that … but what I would do if I was you … would be to just wait for the government to implement its election policy and wait for the outcome of the review.”

Champion said the review would take six to eight weeks once an appropriate firm is appointed.

Telfer also asked Champion if he had “directed Renewal SA executives to cease work on finalising the development agreement” with MAB Corporation.

Champion responded: “I don’t know how many times I have to go through it. We announced a review before the election. We are currently in the process of implementing that review.”

It’s pretty simple: we are fulfilling our election commitments.”

InDaily also put questions to both Champion and Renewal SA asking whether there has been a ministerial direction for the agency to cease negotiations with MAB Corporation.

A Renewal SA spokesperson said: “The minister has previously stated that a Development Agreement will not be signed until a review is complete”.

Champion was also pressed in parliament on how many affordable houses MAB’s proposal would deliver compared to the other three shortlisted parties, but said it would be “inappropriate for me … to comment on what is a set of commercial relationships undertaken by Renewal”.

“In the same way it would be wrong for me to compare any other aspect of these deals, it would be inappropriate for me to compare …. on the presumption of the question,” Champion said.

“The government has announced a review and that’s the matter done.”

A Renewal SA spokesperson also told InDaily that “any details comparing the shortlisted proposals remain confidential”.

In an earlier parliamentary sitting on May 5, Telfer asked Champion whether the government had determined “what liability the taxpayers now face to compensate MAB as the preferred proponent for their sunk tender costs and lost revenue from the project?”.

Champion responded: “Again, you invite me to hypothecate about the future, whereas what we are actually going to do is implement our election policy, which is to have a review and then receive the review and then make decisions from that – it is simple.”

Champion’s office earlier this month disclosed the criteria weighting which informed Renewal SA’s Brompton decision:

Commercial Offer (27.5 per cent)
Remediation and Environmental Strategy (27.5 per cent)
Draft Master Plan, Vision and Guiding Principles (25 per cent)
Development Delivery Team (10 per cent)
Development Program and Timing (10 per cent).
Insiders told InDaily in April the points-based judging criteria that awarded exclusive negotiation rights to MAB “wasn’t even close”, both as an aggregate score and “in each of the individual categories”.

Shadow Attorney General Josh Teague asked Premier Peter Malinauskas in parliament on May 5 if “in case the review comes down in a way that he doesn’t like, will he commit now to accepting its outcome?”

In response, Malinauskas said: “I think the key component of the Member for Heysen’s question is: why are we so determined to honour our election commitments?”

“The answer is: because it’s the right thing to do.”
I wouldn't be surprised if MAB simply walked way to be honest. Why should they bother investing here when Labor seem hell bent on making it as difficult as possible for them so they can score political points with Crowies? Extremely disappointed by Mali. Perhaps there's an ulterior motive at play considering how close he lives to the site...

SBD

#629 Post by SBD » Fri May 27, 2022 11:59 pm

A-Town wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:34 pm
I wouldn't be surprised if MAB simply walked way to be honest. Why should they bother investing here when Labor seem hell bent on making it as difficult as possible for them so they can score political points with Crowies? Extremely disappointed by Mali. Perhaps there's an ulterior motive at play considering how close he lives to the site...
You can't hint that!

It's only the "other side" that engages in allegedly self-interested interference in the planning process such as not approving a port on Kangaroo Island. 'Everyone knows" that Peter Malinauskas as Premier would not seek to influence development of the former gas works in his electorate of Croydon, any more than Tom Koutsantonis as Minister for Infrastructure and transport would try to influence development of a free-flowing freeway through his electorate of West Torrens.

:wallbash:

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#630 Post by A-Town » Sat May 28, 2022 10:58 am

SBD wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 11:59 pm
A-Town wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:34 pm
You can't hint that!

It's only the "other side" that engages in allegedly self-interested interference in the planning process such as not approving a port on Kangaroo Island. 'Everyone knows" that Peter Malinauskas as Premier would not seek to influence development of the former gas works in his electorate of Croydon, any more than Tom Koutsantonis as Minister for Infrastructure and transport would try to influence development of a free-flowing freeway through his electorate of West Torrens.

:wallbash:
Kouts is a shameful operator. Still surprised at how keen people were to see him and his cronies back in charge. Same old SA I guess. Never change.