The Fandangled New Ticketing System which we are Getting

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Pat28
High Rise Poster!

The Fandangled New Ticketing System which we are Getting

#1 Post by Pat28 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:16 pm

So ladies and gents, i hereby propose debate on the Fandangeled New Ticketing system! Discuss to hearts content.
Anyway, to get the ball rolling - Zones or Distanced-based ticketing or something similar to what we have got?
Besser Verkehr in den Bergen

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: The Fandangled New Ticketing System which we are Getting

#2 Post by AtD » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:22 pm

Regardless of which system is chosen, one thing is certain. People will complain, specifically in the Opinion pages of the 'Tiser. I can already see stories of a WWII vet from Glenelg North whose life has been totally ruined by the "overly complicated" and "waste of taxpayers money" system that is "deigned to rip off those with low incomes."

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Wayno » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:35 pm

I propose the govt simply raise everyone's taxes and allow people to use PT at any time without paying for tickets! it might sound stupid, but i bet it works out cheaper for us in the long run...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#4 Post by Somebody » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:39 pm

Yawn - making public transport free by taxing people more is pointless, especially if all services are not frequent enough for everybody to not need to use anything else.

Next you'll be asking for Hitachis to roam Adelaide lines because you find them sexy, like you propose that because you find it sexy.
The Gold Coast - Australia's centre for insipid, tacky & boring.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by mattblack » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:46 pm

Bring on the Adelaide 'Oyster Card'. for those who have been to London you'll know what im talking about. Its a travel card that you can top it up at any station by cash or card your credit never expires (for those less frequent travellers) and it automatically gives you the cheapest possible fare for the journey you have just done. It works across the whole P/T system includding tubes, buses trams and rail. Bloody brilliant, quick and easy. Only problem is that every station, bus and tram will have to be fitted out with the new sensors.

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#6 Post by Düsseldorfer » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:29 pm

I think we should get a pre-pay chip card that costs (insert price) a month for Children, Secondary/Uni students and Senior Citizens and costs (insert slightly higher price) a month for others. For this monthly fee users get complete access to all public transport system in Adelaide and Suburban areas on all buses, trains and trams. All Public transportation can be used as often as desired all for the same monthly price. This kind of a system would give people a greater amount of freedom when traveling by public transport, they would be able to travel wherever they want, whenever they want without any extra cost.

These chip cards would be bought somewhere in advance (a customer info centre would be needed) at the railway station or at an info centre. people needing a card would have to fill in an application form which they write their name, DOB, gender, adress blah blah blah...and what their "home" station or stop is, they would also have to give their bank details to allow the chip card account to extract the monthly cost on the first of every month (with the first month being free of charge, just to make it more attractive :P ). The chip cards would need to be used for a minimum of 2 months and a maximum of 12 months.

With this chip card, passengers should be allowed to just get on board without having to validate and have roaming ticket checkers to check tickets on all buses, trains and trams. And for anyone who forgets to bring their card with them or just leaves it at home by accident, fines should be removed if the person takes the fine and their paid chip card to an info centre.

With this chip card system, the old (magnetic strip tickets) system needs to be kept as well for tourists or for people wishing to have just a day trip or a single trip just to get them from A to B without having to go through the process of going to the travel center and arranging a chip card.

Just as an example, would look similar to this one from Cologne, Germany:

I hope something like this or similar will be used here eventually

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#7 Post by Norman » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:09 am

Just bring back monthly and yearly tickets and I'll be happy.

In terms of zones, Everything under Metroticket right now should be Zone 1, everything outside that should be Zone 2. This includes Mount Pleasant and Strathalbyn.

Tickets should be tag-on and go. Limited paper tickets should be used for people who use the transport system rarely and tourists.

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#8 Post by Somebody » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:28 pm

Yawn - don't go for a stupid Melbourne-like system, where everything 10-15km from the CBD is "Zone 1", and Zone 2 is anything 15-60km from the CBD. Assumes that everybody is going to the CBD and has anomolies like a local trip in one zone being more expensive than the same length trip in another zone, or in some instances, a 7km trip costing twice as much as a 50km journey.

If you want a good example of a ticketing system - see Translink.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#9 Post by jk1237 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:35 pm

crikeys broadgauge, you must be very tired with all that yawning, why dont you go to sleep and come back when you have some more productive stuff to say, rather than yawning at everyones posts and bringing Melbourne into everything :lol:

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#10 Post by Somebody » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:34 pm

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#11 Post by AtD » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:54 pm

AtD wrote:Regardless of which system is chosen, one thing is certain. People will complain, specifically in the Opinion pages of the 'Tiser. I can already see stories of a WWII vet from Glenelg North whose life has been totally ruined by the "overly complicated" and "waste of taxpayers money" system that is "deigned to rip off those with low incomes."
I should also add that it's certain that gunzels will complain about it, mostly for the same reasons.

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#12 Post by Düsseldorfer » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:27 pm

jk1237 wrote:crikeys broadgauge, you must be very tired with all that yawning, why dont you go to sleep and come back when you have some more productive stuff to say, rather than yawning at everyones posts and bringing Melbourne into everything :lol:
i reckon! nearly all of Somebodys posts recently has had the words "YAWN" or "MELBOURNE" in them.

YAWN--Melbourne is a craphole anyway, been once and never want to go there again...Sydney is a much better Australian city :P

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#13 Post by Norman » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:34 pm

Dusseldorfer wrote:
jk1237 wrote:crikeys broadgauge, you must be very tired with all that yawning, why dont you go to sleep and come back when you have some more productive stuff to say, rather than yawning at everyones posts and bringing Melbourne into everything :lol:
i reckon! nearly all of Somebodys posts recently has had the words "YAWN" or "MELBOURNE" in them.

YAWN--Melbourne is a craphole anyway, been once and never want to go there again...Sydney is a much better Australian city :P
I actually think Sydney is the hole. But anyway...

BG, Strath is about 60 km out of the city... it already has its own ticketing system, it would be simply converting a separate system into a "Zone 2" area... maybe you should actually study the Adelaide system besides looking at the website or visiting for 2 or 3 days.

Somebody
High Rise Poster!

#14 Post by Somebody » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:39 pm

Lol - I find it amusing that people think I would live in a capital city.

Harvey, go look at this site, butt out and come back. Here you will find a proper ticketing system (somewhere in the links)
http://www.translink.com.au

I suspect your idea is based on that you want 2 types of tickets so that you can collect them, as a foamer. Butt out.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#15 Post by Norman » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:58 pm

Somebody wrote:I suspect your idea is based on that you want 2 types of tickets so that you can collect them, as a foamer. Butt out.
What are you on about? Stop making assumptions. And I know you don't live in a capital city.