News & Discussion: Never Builts

All other development discussion.
Shuz
Banned
Banned

Re: #Official - Never Builts

#16 Post by Shuz » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:54 pm

That's quite a story on the Atlantic Tower(s) Complex. I hate the building, and to think there were going to be 4!

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#17 Post by Omicron » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:37 am

Will wrote:
Omicron wrote:The Atlantic Tower at Glenelg was just one of a proposed series of cylindrical towers running from Anzac Highway through to Jetty Rd. I'm sure I've come across a photo of a model of the proposal, but I'll be damned if I can find it now that I want to use it.
The Atlantic Tower was actually the smallest of the 4 proposed cylindrical towers. The other were proposed at 16 levels, 18 levels and 24 levels if memory serves me correct. It was envisaged that each building in the complex would have a helipad on its roof with the complex having its private fleet of helicopters to fly its inhabitants to work in the morning and flying them back in the evening.

Mid way through construction, the developer went broke, leaving the Atlantic Tower as an empty shell for 8 years until it was bought by a local developer who finally had it completed in 1980.
Yes, thank you Will! Now - where are our memories of this coming from?
Shuz wrote:That's quite a story on the Atlantic Tower(s) Complex. I hate the building, and to think there were going to be 4!
It's not my favourite building in the world, but I don't mind it as a relic of relatively inoffensive yet intriguing '70s architecture - a cylindrical tower with revolving restaurant is rather quaint these days. Now that it's increasingly surrounded by buildings of a similar height, it doesn't dominate as it used to. Four of them, on the other hand........

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#18 Post by stumpjumper » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:55 pm

I don't think the name 'Centro' would fly today as the name for a development.

I'd like to add to the list of 'never builts' the bathroom renovation at a cottage I jointly owned in Fisher St, Norwood. The renovation caused considerable argument between myself and my partner. For this and other reasons, we finally split up and sold the place.

I can now reveal that the total redevelopment was worth in excess of $1000, and if completed would have provided up to two days' work for a plumber. The job involved the sale of over $200 of salvaged bathroom fittings not to mention new tiles.

Fortunately, the state's economy survived the jolt of the owner/developers ceasing work on the project.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#19 Post by Howie » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:56 pm

You can probably add Merc on Gouger to this list... no big loss.

Omicron

#20 Post by Omicron » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:22 pm

Given the extent of verbal castration (a painful visual concept if ever there was one) by the AdelaideNow types each time a building meets with bureaucratic resistance, I note with interest how small this topic is, and how underwhelming its contents.

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

#21 Post by baytram366 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:43 pm

I too thought there would be alot more projects listed in here... may have to do some digging myself and get back to this one... hmmm
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

The Scooter Guy

#22 Post by The Scooter Guy » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:11 pm

Can someone make this thread a sticky?
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#23 Post by Will » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:12 pm

This project was proposed back in late 2001 or early 2002. It was for a 15 level office tower for the open lot carpark at the eastern side of the Mercantile Mutual/ ING/ QBE Building and fronting Gawler Place (between Flinders and Pirie Streets). I recall they erected a billboard on the site featuring an image of the building. From what I recall, the building was about 60m high and clad in blue glass. The shape of the building was boxy, albeit quite slim. unfortunately back then I did not have a digital camera and likewise forums such as this were in their infancy and thus the only inforamtion I have about this, is this article from the Advertiser:

Omicron

#24 Post by Omicron » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:19 pm

An 11.5% vacancy rate down from 14% is apparently a shortage?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#25 Post by AtD » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:33 pm

Indeed. Especially with the 5-6% we have now.

Xaragmata

#26 Post by Xaragmata » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:51 am

The second fly-through of the Liberals West lakes, Keswick, Gepps Cross redevelopment plans reminded me of this never built
medium to high density redevelopment of Hackney North from the 1970s:

http://www.archmedia.com.au/unbuilt/art ... Modern.pdf

Omicron

#27 Post by Omicron » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:56 am

Xaragmata wrote:The second fly-through of the Liberals West lakes, Keswick, Gepps Cross redevelopment plans reminded me of this never built
medium to high density redevelopment of Hackney North from the 1970s:

http://www.archmedia.com.au/unbuilt/art ... Modern.pdf
Blecch.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#28 Post by Prince George » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:18 am

The last paragraph was interesting:
Such was the furore that this plan managed to spawn one of the most signifi cant subterranean bodies to wield power in Adelaide, the St Peter’s Resident Association, which became a model for grassroots revolt. Ironically, the association is now diametrically opposed to the placing of their houses on the local heritage register because it stifles property values.
That's one aspect of how you bring the NIMBY groups around - create a compelling argument that saying no all the time is taking money out of their pockets.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#29 Post by Will » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:36 pm

Today that I have some time I thought I'd share another development which never came to fruition.

Before West Central and during the tenure of Alfred Huang as Lord Mayor, the ACC already had plans on how to upgrade the dilapidated former bus terminal.

This proposal dates back to 2000, and incorporates a new underground bus terminal as well as the Investigator Science Centre at ground level fronting Franklin Street. The complex was to be covered by a multi-coloured canopy which according to Alfred Huang was to have become the symbol of a 21st century Adelaide.

The proposal also incorporated the construction of low-rise tourist accommodation, a 6 level office block fronting Franklin Street and a full renovation of the Church of Christ.

The proposal was presented to the Olsen Government for consideration, however it appears that the state government did not grant funding. The proposal has the support of the 5 major bus companies.

The article includes a quote from then Charles Sturt Mayor, Harold Anderson who criticised the plan as not being 'appropriate' and rather called for the Investigator Science Centre to be moved to his council instead, in particular at Hindmarsh as "there's plenty of parking nearby". Independent MP Bob Such is also quoted as saying that "the council's plans are the wrong way to go", as the bus station should instead be relocated to the Adelaide Railway Station.

I am unsure as to why the Olsen Government never gave the funding, however the vibe I get fro the article is that because of local parochialism and competing ideas from different people, the project was eventually scrapped.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#30 Post by fabricator » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:02 pm

What a shame, would have been a lot better than the current mess that is the new Franklin street bus station. Instead we have something which is simply the modern version of the old mess that didn't work.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.