ONH: Adelaide Airport Hotel | 37m | 9lvls | Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

ONH: Adelaide Airport Hotel | 37m | 9lvls | Hotel

#1 Post by Howie » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:48 pm

Look at this beauty!

'High quality, dignified' hotel for airport
Article from: The Advertiser

STUART INNES, TOURISM WRITER

April 08, 2008 08:30pm

A HOTEL proposed for Adelaide Airport will be "high quality and dignified" and have up to 200 guest rooms, the major development plan document reveals.
Adelaide Airport Ltd has issued the preliminary draft plan document under its obligation to invite public comment on the development.

The papers show the proposed hotel will be within a convenient walk, indicated to be within 400m, from the $260 million T1 passenger terminal.

The hotel may sit on part of what is now the main car park in front of T1. AAL also hopes to have a multi-storey airport car park to compensate.

The planning document says the hotel's lower floors are expected to include plazas and restaurants, plus such recreational facilities as swimming pools and a gymnasium. There also would be bars and lounges.

Airport hotels are popular for conferences and the one at Adelaide Airport is expected to have conference areas and meeting rooms.

The upper floors are expected to have 120 to 200 rooms over five or more levels.

AAL managing director Phil Baker has said "four or five major players" in the hotel industry are interested in operating the hotel.

In his foreword to the development plan document, Mr Baker says a hotel would give the travelling public new and innovative services.

"The hotel is planned to complement the airport's Terminal 1 and offer the travelling public convenient, high-quality and dignified services as part of their travelling experience," Mr Baker says.

Once construction work starts, it is anticipated the hotel would be operating within two years.

The planning document cites the steadily increasing occupancy rates of Adelaide hotels in its justification for a new hotel.

South Australian Tourism Alliance chairman Les Penley said Adelaide was nearing the point where it required another international-class hotel.

Mr Penley agreed with the concept of an airport having a hotel on-site.

"It brings it into line with other international airports around Australia," he said.

AAL is inviting public comment on the proposals.

The plan can be seen on http://www.aal.com.au and following the links to Corporate and then Master Planning.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: #Proposed: Airport Hotel - 42m

#2 Post by Ben » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:59 pm

This is great news....

Is anyone else perplexed as to how a 10 level hotel can be proposed by the airport itself within metres of the runway yet the ACC have height limits of less then 8 levels on parts of West Terrace and throughout the CBD because of "airport restrictions"....

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3 Post by frank1 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:08 pm

Great news. Personally, i think that the hotel in that picture looks pretty ugly with that cheap green colour. It sort of looks like a small version of the commonwealth law courts. If they put a hotel at the airport, i think it shoul look classy, afterall, it is aimed at interstate travellers. Just my thoughts though...

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by Norman » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:13 pm

A tram link would be even awesomer now for the Airport. Imagine the tourists hopping on a tram at the Airport and travelling to the City, doing some shopping and then going back to their rooms.

But the building looks great too. A great assest to our great airport.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#5 Post by Cruise » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:14 pm

frank1 wrote:It sort of looks like a small version of the commonwealth law courts

What is wrong with the commonwealth law courts?
Last edited by Cruise on Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#6 Post by cruel_world00 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:15 pm

Let's hope they make the design a little more interesting.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#7 Post by Shuz » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:27 pm

I actually didn't expect this to come around so soon, its a genius idea that will be welcomed by lots of tourists.

Brisbane and Perth don't even have hotels at their airports do they?

Hippodamus
High Rise Poster!

#8 Post by Hippodamus » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:29 pm

wow, what a great proposal!! will give off a really good first impression upon arrival also!!

looks through the preliminary draft and there are some awesome renders... i am also confused though as this is a signficant height when you consider restrictions on developments in the city...? do you think that the ACC has very conservative and precautionary standards in the ACC Development Plan to appease any potential (although minute) safety concerns...

anyway, good proposal, and particularly good as it will not go through bueareacratic local council approval nonesense since it is on airport land which falls under federal / airport authority laws on development assessment... horray!!

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by Howie » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:37 pm

In the process of creating a google 3d model of the building, I think it'll look better in real life than in those renders.

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#10 Post by Paulns » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:39 pm

Ben wrote:Is anyone else perplexed as to how a 10 level hotel can be proposed by the airport itself within metres of the runway yet the ACC have height limits of less then 8 levels on parts of West Terrace and
I am!!!

Never the less this is a great proposal!!! I really hope this gets through? Will be great for the Airport and Adelaide!! :)
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#11 Post by frank1 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:46 pm

Cruise wrote:
frank1 wrote:It sort of looks like a small version of the commonwealth law courts

What is wrong with the commonwealth law courts?

I like them, but i think the colour is not suited for a 'classy international hotel' that's all. Love the demensions of this proposal though, nice! :D

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#12 Post by frank1 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:48 pm

]
'High quality, dignified' hotel for airport
Article from: The Advertiser

STUART INNES, TOURISM WRITER

April 08, 2008 08:30pm

The hotel may sit on part of what is now the main car park in front of T1. AAL also hopes to have a multi-storey airport car park to compensate.
A multistory carpark is definately needed. That carpark is way too small at the moment.

This city is so exciting at the moment as there is so much development going on and shows no signs of slowing down either. This is the first time i have felt this way about adelaide and i have lived here my whole life. Great news once again and let the good times roll in this city..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#13 Post by pushbutton » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:22 pm

It looks horrible from that picture. Just ugly as hell. Hopefully that's nothing like what it would really look like.

I am also perplexed at how so much fuss is always made about height restrictions outside the airport and yet the airport itself can have a hotel of this height. However there are many airports around the world with multi-storey hotels so it's not exactly impossible!

Mants
Legendary Member!

#14 Post by Mants » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:39 pm

reminds me of the horrid carpark behind the Lot8 development off Gouger street.

i hope they come up with nicer design!

how_good_is_he
High Rise Poster!

#15 Post by how_good_is_he » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:05 pm

All for it....but my only concern would be noise for people actually staying there [and trying to sleep] because the runways are close with planes running non stop 6am - late. I am sure an acoustic engineer will need to be involved.

Any one know much about how much you can sound proof a building and what is the maximum decibel count allowed under the building code for hotels.

With the height issue maybe they can get away with it because it wont be under the flight path as such, while West Tce etc is.