Concept: Multi-Purpose Stadium

Ideas and concepts of what Adelaide can be.
Shuz
Banned
Banned

Concept: Multi-Purpose Stadium

#1 Post by Shuz » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:17 am

Rather than consistently debate over choice of location and the fact that it needs to accomodate soccer/football etc. I'd be interested to hear the feedback from what everyone expects of a new multi-purpose stadium - design features, innovative technologies, user experience, etc.

With my interest in the design context of the stadium, I'd love it if we bought out the design plans for Stadium WA - considering they're not using them!

Or we could go with the crazy egg-shaped landmark idea for a stadium? I present to you, quite simply, The Egg.

How about a world-first, leading environmental sustainability, preserving our parklands integrity and a benchmark in stadium design - going in-ground?
Last edited by Shuz on Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Concept: Multi-Purpose Stadium

#2 Post by Norman » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:25 am

Sorry, can't see the images :?

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#3 Post by Shuz » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:29 am

Fixed.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Wayno » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:15 pm

Cisco Systems has a set of "connected stadium" packaged technologies. A few grounds in the US & Europe are already "wired up" and operational...

http://www.cisco.com/web/about/ac49/ac2 ... _html.html
Get in on the action—even if you're not actually on the field. When you pass through the gates of the 21st century stadium, you’re immediately connected to an engaging sports experience. Use your handheld device (phone, pda, ipod, etc)to find your seat, download a program, order food and drinks without getting up, and purchase tickets for future games. View live-action and replay video on your handheld, or on high-definition screens throughout the facility. Get profiles of your favorite players and see what teams are winning games at other stadiums. And when a game isn’t scheduled, the network’s multimedia and mobile capabilities help turn the stadium into a versatile venue for performances and other public events. On and off the field, the network is transforming the sporting life by putting interaction into play.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

joshzxzx
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5 Post by joshzxzx » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:27 pm

Well done shuz..

I vote for the first design...

The dug out one may be good cost wise... Which seems to be the problem here
South Australia the Festival State

aussie2000
High Rise Poster!

#6 Post by aussie2000 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:54 pm

is there really no in-ground stadiums on this planet?

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#7 Post by Shuz » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:08 pm

Not that I know of - which is exactly the reason why we should be the first to take upon the idea, the benefits are simply endless.

Edited:
Actually, there is one - under construction in Doha, Qatar. It actually goes underground though. Different to in-ground.
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/09/dohas ... ium-2.html
It only has a capacity of 11,000 though. Hardly anything to call a 'stadium'. Adelaide could still take out the title to build the world's first "large-capacity in-ground" multipurpose stadium.

I'm trying to put together a concept model in Google Sketchup.

fasterthanlids
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#8 Post by fasterthanlids » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:28 pm

I don't really mind the shape of the stadium, providing it is somewhat interesting. I would certainly request some decent beer on tap, but saving that, a pipeline from the West End Brewery with super cheap suds would suffice.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#9 Post by Ho Really » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:32 am

Shuz, I like your fervour, but get the dimensions (scaling) right. Your stadiums are too small in these examples (especially the last one that looks like the Colosseum in Rome). People will get the wrong impression thinking you can fit a multi-purpose stadium (and surrounding pedestrian plazas) snuggly into the area proposed. We've discussed this in detail before in another thread elsewhere. Orientation is also important as the narrower ends face the north-south axis (or thereabouts).

Cheers

P.S. Besides my critique. The first stadium stands out as the best design here. Allianz Arena in Munich is a good example, but of course in our situation stretched to fit Aussie Rules.
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#10 Post by Cruise » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:39 am

An in-ground stadium is a good idea, during the off season it could be used as a dam to fix our water problems.

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#11 Post by Aidan » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:50 pm

aussie2000 wrote:is there really no in-ground stadiums on this planet?
I don't know of any that are entirely in ground, but the Real Madrid stadium is partly in ground. It started off as a conventional stadium, but the pitch was later lowered to accommodate more seating.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by peas_and_corn » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:21 pm

fasterthanlids wrote:I don't really mind the shape of the stadium, providing it is somewhat interesting. I would certainly request some decent beer on tap, but saving that, a pipeline from the West End Brewery with super cheap suds would suffice.
Actually I know of a really great brewery that could supply them with all the beer they want- it's a micro, currently running out of two locations (my house and my friend's house) but it's winning to expand :lol:

The major sticking point when it comes to building a multi-purpose stadium is this-

Who will play there? Since the SANFL controls both the the Power and the Crows (the latter more than the former, but the SANFL still appoints half of the Power's board) it is highly unlikely that they will be allowed to play there UNLESS the oval is handed over to the SANFL gratis. Would the SA government merely give such an oval away? If not, then who is left? All I can think of is Adelaide United (I'm speaking regular usage here, not events).

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#13 Post by cruel_world00 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:01 am

If the SANFL were smart about this, they could definitely get some kind of deal with a new CBD stadium... but because they are so stubborn and backward (yes, of course, protecting their profit margins too... but in turn, they are holding the game back) they can rot in West Lakes hell.

The government should cut them off and stop throwing money at AAMI and sit back and wait. AFL attendances are down, and I can't really see any kind of resurgence in the near future, even with success on field. When Port do well their increased attendances aren't that great and this year the Crows had a relatively good year which did not translate to a packed AAMI. What's more telling is that more often than not, AAMI sells out for Crows games, but this still leaves about 10,000 fans not showing.

The SANFL have got to be asking why this is the case?

I'm not saying that a CBD stadium is going to fix these issues right away. But you've got to think, would a CBD stadium increase the potential for non-affiliated Crows and Port fans to come to the games? These no shows...what is their reasoning - is it the small delay on TV or is it location etc? Would better public transport to AAMI really make it more attractive? Does working with other sporting codes help or hinder the growth of each game?

I have been a long advocate of an inner city stadium, BUT... would not want the government, nor any sporting body to commit to such a financial investment without a study (gotta love those) into finding the best possible outcome.

All the people knocking the idea are worried about financial viability, cost, need, etc... well all I'm asking for is a vision... We have a government in place that owes it to the people of this state to at least actively seek out the best results for our state in all areas whether it be education, health, OR ENTERTAINMENT...Adelaide's sporting venues are a shambles. Our most iconic ground (Adelaide Oval) is not even worthy of world class grading anymore.... why can't the government listen to what is being said and asked of them and openly investigate all the possibilities on offer?

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#14 Post by rev » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:23 pm

I don't like either three, for Adelaide at least imo they are not suitable.
We do not have much curved architecture, certainly not anything to that extent.
I think a stadium with straight, sharp edges(not a box) and angles would be more suitable.

flavze
High Rise Poster!

#15 Post by flavze » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:16 am

It's not a multi purpose stadium but it's pretty much inground.
Chivas new stadium in mexico.
Bloody awesome stadium, would be lovely to have a smaller version of this built in the parklands somewhere around the city centre.
Would be for soccer and rugby only though.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=472500

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=LEWj1ndqRz0