News & Discussion: Planning & Building Regulations

All other development discussion.
AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Planning System Overhaul 2008

#76 Post by AG » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:53 am

There are a couple of locations near the Gawler Line that I would've thought could potentially be great sites for TODs. They include the area near Islington Station by Regency and Churchill Roads and also around Salisbury Station. I'd like to know why they weren't identified as potential sites for TODs.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#77 Post by Wayno » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:10 am

Norman wrote:Here are the Big Blue Dot locations:
-Elizabeth (New)
-Mawson Lakes (U/C)
-Port Adelaide/New Port (U/C)
-Cheltenham (Approved)
-West Lakes (U/C)
-Bowden (New)
-Modbury/Tea Tree Plaza (New, Previously Proposed)
-Mitcham/Clapham/Torrens Park (New)
-Plympton (Proposed Already)
-Castle Plaza/Old Hills site? (New[?])
-Glenelg (Done)
-Marion/Oaklands Station (New)
-Tonsley/Bedford Park (New)
-Noarlunga (New)
hey norman, where did you get this list from? i could not find it documented anywhere?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#78 Post by muzzamo » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:25 am

i'm wondering if this means they can ram through some more highrise at glenelg. If they expand capacity on the tram line then it makes sense, although holdfast council would be dead against it.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#79 Post by Ho Really » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:33 am

muzzamo wrote:i'm wondering if this means they can ram through some more highrise at glenelg. If they expand capacity on the tram line then it makes sense, although holdfast council would be dead against it.
Along Jetty Road would be good, even setback. What would the response be further up the line, like Glenelg East and so forth?

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#80 Post by fishinajar » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:52 am

Norman wrote:Here are the Big Blue Dot locations:
-Elizabeth (New)
-Mawson Lakes (U/C)
-Port Adelaide/New Port (U/C)
-Cheltenham (Approved)
-West Lakes (U/C)
-Bowden (New)
-Modbury/Tea Tree Plaza (New, Previously Proposed)
-Mitcham/Clapham/Torrens Park (New)
-Plympton (Proposed Already)
-Castle Plaza/Old Hills site? (New[?])
-Glenelg (Done)
-Marion/Oaklands Station (New)
-Tonsley/Bedford Park (New)
-Noarlunga (New)
I live in Modbury, and I can't think of any large areas empty or otherwise easily obtainable for large scale redevelopment (other than compulsory acquisition). Does anyone have any idea of what exactly they have in mind for this area?

Also I don't know why they didn't identify anywhere else along the obahn. There is nothing stopping them from putting in more stops (other than associated time delays). What about the old TSA building and surrounding area? TSA want to move, the building could be converted to units as a start.

Londo Mollari
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#81 Post by Londo Mollari » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:06 am

Just to ensure we have access to the coverage of the Planning Review Reforms, the media statements of Deputy Premier Kevin Foley and Minister Paul Holloway are attached.
Attachments
PLANNING .pdf
(88 KiB) Downloaded 284 times

Londo Mollari
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#82 Post by Londo Mollari » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:37 am

This is a picture of a TOD in Portland. Bear in mind that Portland began its work on TODs 20 years ago, now many cities in the US have gone this way.
Attachments
portland-tod.jpg
portland-tod.jpg (53.24 KiB) Viewed 10680 times

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#83 Post by Wayno » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:42 am

Londo Mollari wrote:This is a picture of a TOD in Portland. Bear in mind that Portland began its work on TODs 20 years ago, now many cities in the US have gone this way.
not much greenery there (or maybe this is a new TOD and simply needs time for the trees to get taller?) - hope we can do better than that...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Londo Mollari
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#84 Post by Londo Mollari » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:45 am

Another Transit Oriented Development. This is the Beaverton Central Mixed Use Project. Odd design, but might appeal to some.
Attachments
round1 beaverton.jpg
round1 beaverton.jpg (293.95 KiB) Viewed 10673 times

Londo Mollari
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#85 Post by Londo Mollari » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:03 pm

Oakland City Centre, California. This is a very interesting one. Adelaide's TODs, however, will largely depend on the market and demand initially. We have been warned by some TOD experts from the US who worked on the Subiaco project that we might regret not going higher than 8 storeys from the outset though. I personally want to see them up to 15 storeys, I don't think we will see this at this stage.
Attachments
Oakland City Centre 45.jpg
Oakland City Centre 45.jpg (34.73 KiB) Viewed 10654 times

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#86 Post by omada » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:18 pm

Who are you Londo Mollari? Are you Mike Rann himself? Or someone within the State Govt?? :wink:

Londo Mollari
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#87 Post by Londo Mollari » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:27 pm

omada wrote:Who are you Londo Mollari? Are you Mike Rann himself? Or someone within the State Govt?? :wink:
hahahahaha I was wondering when someone might ask me that :) It would be great to think Mike Rann was surfing our little (yet valued) community here!

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#88 Post by Wayno » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:27 pm

Londo Mollari wrote:
omada wrote:Who are you Londo Mollari? Are you Mike Rann himself? Or someone within the State Govt?? :wink:
hahahahaha I was wondering when someone might ask me that :) It would be great to think Mike Rann was surfing our little (yet valued) community here!
This is londo Mollari ==> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Londo_Mollari

Londo Mollari
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#89 Post by Londo Mollari » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:00 pm

FYI

Given the level of interest in the Planning System and the Planning Review, I thought this might be worth posting.

Obviously places are limited, but from what I gather, the event is open to anyone with an interest in Planning.

The key speak is Michael O'Brien, Chair of the Planning and Development Review Steering Committee. Two other guest speakers include John Hanlon, who is the acting CE of Planning SA and Stuart Moseley, former CE of Adelaide City Council.
Attachments
Planning Review Flyer June08.pdf
(94.04 KiB) Downloaded 249 times

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#90 Post by Norman » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:33 pm

AG wrote:There are a couple of locations near the Gawler Line that I would've thought could potentially be great sites for TODs. They include the area near Islington Station by Regency and Churchill Roads and also around Salisbury Station. I'd like to know why they weren't identified as potential sites for TODs.
This area is alredy under development: http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... ?f=8&t=580
fishinajar wrote:I live in Modbury, and I can't think of any large areas empty or otherwise easily obtainable for large scale redevelopment (other than compulsory acquisition). Does anyone have any idea of what exactly they have in mind for this area?
I think they want to develop the area around the TTP Interchange, I guess there's not much land, but it is possible to build over the Interchange. It has been proposed before.
Wayno wrote:hey norman, where did you get this list from? i could not find it documented anywhere?
I made it myself... I know this city too well :lol: