News & Discussion: O-Bahn

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
bits
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: O-Bahn

#1576 Post by bits » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:04 am

Spotto wrote:
bits wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:12 am
Can a parent use these validators to purchase a ticket for themself and their children?
Say that again but slower...

Validators don’t sell tickets, they... validate tickets. Shocking revelation, I know Image
"At first, the smart validators will only accept metroCARDs. From mid-2022, they’ll accept metroCARDs plus Visa and Mastercard payments"

The smart validators being installed accept payment from visa or MasterCard.

But for metrocard, visa or MasterCard I believe all 3 have the same problem that a parent can't use their payment method to cover purchases for their children.
The parent is expected to go get a metrocard or a new credit card explicitly for each childs fare.

A friend also can't cover the purchase of a ticket with their card. A common use case for young users.

Paper tickets never caused these problems.

At least that is my understanding of these validators.
They offer a terrible outcome for parents just trying to use public transport.
Casual users have a far inferior service compared to when users could buy paper tickets from a driver, attendant or vending machine.

Public transport becomes inaccessible for casual users (parents, casual, tourists, etc) due to a lack of being able to buy more than 1 ticket when at or on the vehicle.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#1577 Post by Spotto » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:47 pm

bits wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:04 am
Spotto wrote:
bits wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:12 am
Can a parent use these validators to purchase a ticket for themself and their children?
Say that again but slower...

Validators don’t sell tickets, they... validate tickets. Shocking revelation, I know Image
"At first, the smart validators will only accept metroCARDs. From mid-2022, they’ll accept metroCARDs plus Visa and Mastercard payments"

The smart validators being installed accept payment from visa or MasterCard.
Again, you can't purchase a ticket from a validator, they validate metrocards/eftpos and charge you a fare.
bits wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:04 am
But for metrocard, visa or MasterCard I believe all 3 have the same problem that a parent can't use their payment method to cover purchases for their children.
The parent is expected to go get a metrocard or a new credit card explicitly for each childs fare.

A friend also can't cover the purchase of a ticket with their card. A common use case for young users.

Paper tickets never caused these problems.
Do you know how hard it is to buy a metrocard? Or how easier it is to charge one? Newsagents and corner shops almost everywhere sell and recharge them, and you can recharge them online.

You can still buy paper tickets at the silver machines on trams and trains and most major bus interchanges/train stations, and those parents can use that same credit card to buy paper tickets for their children. You could also buy a metrocard and only use it occasionally (like most people I know), top it up with $10 dollars when needed or set auto-recharge and you're off.

I'm guessing you've tried to dodge a fare like your examples above and got annoyed when you were caught and your excuse didn't work?

bits
Legendary Member!

#1578 Post by bits » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:29 pm

Spotto wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:47 pm
You can still buy paper tickets at the silver machines on trams and trains and most major bus interchanges/train stations, and those parents can use that same credit card to buy paper tickets for their children. You could also buy a metrocard and only use it occasionally (like most people I know), top it up with $10 dollars when needed or set auto-recharge and you're off.

I'm guessing you've tried to dodge a fare like your examples above and got annoyed when you were caught and your excuse didn't work?
$10 per single fare? Public transport should not be using amusement park style currency systems.
I can't imagine our public transport system should be designed around trying to rip off users like an amusement park is trying to do.

I have never dodged a fare and never caught, I don't use public transport because I can no longer buy tickets for it. Thanks for the kind thoughts.

I had considered using public transport recently and decided against using it because it was impossible to buy on demand tickets to do the trip.
I don't live at a bus interchange, I would be starting my trip from a bus stop near my house like almost all public transport users.
There is no ticket machine at my local bus stop so instead I put my kids and myself in my car. And that was the end of the idea of public transport for my trip.
The next trip will start the same, I can't buy tickets so I can't use public transport.
That to me shows the system is broken for casual users.
Last edited by bits on Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bits
Legendary Member!

#1579 Post by bits » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:38 pm

Spotto wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:47 pm

Again, you can't purchase a ticket from a validator, they validate metrocards/eftpos and charge you a fare.
What is the technical difference between a purchase on my credit card and a charge to my credit card that means this is not exactly the same thing?
Metrocard is just a prepaid creditcard with dazzleland dollars on it and a convoluted billing system.
There is no magic difference between its purchases/charges other than having a minimum buy in balance and needing to prepay for the dazzleland dollars.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#1580 Post by Spotto » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:33 am

bits wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:29 pm
$10 per single fare? Public transport should not be using amusement park style currency systems.
I can't imagine our public transport system should be designed around trying to rip off users like an amusement park is trying to do.
It’s not $10 per fare, I used $10 as an example to recharge your card if you’re only a casual user it should last for a day or two on a regular fare and a few days on a child/student fare.
bits wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:29 pm
I had considered using public transport recently and decided against using it because it was impossible to buy on demand tickets to do the trip.
I don't live at a bus interchange, I would be starting my trip from a bus stop near my house like almost all public transport users.
There is no ticket machine at my local bus stop so instead I put my kids and myself in my car.
Next time you’re at the shops or the newsagent, you could stop and get metrocards for yourself and your family. Or you could register online and have them posted directly to your place.

If you plan ahead and have cards ready to go, you won’t need to worry about not being able to buy tickets on the fly because you’ll already be set.

Plus, metrocard fares are slightly cheaper that paper ticket fares, not much on its own but it adds up over time.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1581 Post by Waewick » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:48 am

The only complaint I have is the huge delay between paying into it via credit card online and it showing up on the card.

Surely it can be close to instantaneous.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

bits
Legendary Member!

#1582 Post by bits » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:37 am

Spotto wrote:
It’s not $10 per fare, I used $10 as an example to recharge your card if you’re only a casual user it should last for a day or two on a regular fare and a few days on a child/student fare.

Next time you’re at the shops or the newsagent, you could stop and get metrocards for yourself and your family. Or you could register online and have them posted directly to your place.

If you plan ahead and have cards ready to go, you won’t need to worry about not being able to buy tickets on the fly because you’ll already be set.

Plus, metrocard fares are slightly cheaper that paper ticket fares, not much on its own but it adds up over time.
It is $5 for the card and $5 minimum recharge. So it is $10 per person.
I have no plan at all to use public transport at the moment. Why would I pay $40 today to maybe never use public transport? Or to lose the 4 cards by the time I need them. Or perhaps the 3 kids will not be eligible for student tickets by then? I need to carry these 4 cards I don't actually use everyday just incase I one day want to use them?

And last a day or two? What do you mean? It will last years to eternity because I don't regularly use public transport. I am a casual user, not a regular user. This is why adelaidemetro suggest metrocard is for regular users and single tickets are for casual users. But casual users can no longer actually buy single trips. The new validators that can direct sell tickets goes some way to fixing some issues but there is still serious problems. Parents, tourists, friends can not buy multiple tickets with their money.

Adds up overtime. You are so far off understanding the problem for casual users and why the current system is unusable. You are locked on that it is reasonable to plan weeks ahead and pay $10 per fare.

Since they got rid of buying tickets on the bus I have no reasonable way to use public transport.
It is broken.

[Shuz]

#1583 Post by [Shuz] » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:42 pm

Bits, the only problem with the use of the Metrocards on the PT system is you. You are just looking for any excuse to complain. It's actually very easy and straightforward to use. Get off your lazy arse and walk (or drive once off) down to the Metro Office or the newsagent and buy some cards. $20 for 4 cards is a small upfront investment compared to the hundreds, if not thousands of dollars you will save per year rather than spending it on petrol and driving around everywhere. They even have have automatic top up system, so that you don't have to go to the newsagency every time to recharge - how amazing is that! Seriously, you're an adult - take some responsibility and encourage your kids independence. God help your kids for having such a shitty parent if that's your attitude to life.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

bits
Legendary Member!

#1584 Post by bits » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:29 am

Shuz wrote:Bits, the only problem with the use of the Metrocards on the PT system is you. You are just looking for any excuse to complain. It's actually very easy and straightforward to use. Get off your lazy arse and walk (or drive once off) down to the Metro Office or the newsagent and buy some cards. $20 for 4 cards is a small upfront investment compared to the hundreds, if not thousands of dollars you will save per year rather than spending it on petrol and driving around everywhere. They even have have automatic top up system, so that you don't have to go to the newsagency every time to recharge - how amazing is that! Seriously, you're an adult - take some responsibility and encourage your kids independence. God help your kids for having such a shitty parent if that's your attitude to life.
Open your eyes Adelaidemetros own advice is that metrocard is not intended for casual users.
The current metrocard system is inadequate that is why the validators are already being replaced.
They are not installing new validators because no one wants to use them.
The ticket machines on trains and at bus stations are not there for shits and giggles. Those are there because the old validators were not able to sell tickets themselves.

My question was will the new validators have the same limitation that they can not sell multiple tickets to a single individual.
Reading between the lines it appears you both agree that they will have the same limitation.
But that isn't because you guys actually have any clue about what you are talking about.
Instead your answer appears to mostly be coming from incoherent logic that no one wants to buy tickets on a bus - they instead want to drive somewhere else, pay more money for the tickets and then drive back to the bus. Because Metrocard is God or something.

I actually have no clue why you think that's a great system, it isn't. That is a terrible system.

Once the validators everywhere accept Visa/mastercard/etc I imagine there will be strong demand to reduce the single trip price and cancel metrocard all together.
The overheads of the transaction will be very similar.

One response was a misguided insult about talking slowly because validators only validate tickets.
It seems this is all way above both of your heads.

My kids will be fine not worshipping the almighty Metrocard you lord in your household. Thanks for your kind words.

Amazing it can auto top up?
Oh boy, you certainly are a laugh.....

rubberman

#1585 Post by rubberman » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:00 am

bits wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:29 am
Shuz wrote:Bits, the only problem with the use of the Metrocards on the PT system is you. You are just looking for any excuse to complain. It's actually very easy and straightforward to use. Get off your lazy arse and walk (or drive once off) down to the Metro Office or the newsagent and buy some cards. $20 for 4 cards is a small upfront investment compared to the hundreds, if not thousands of dollars you will save per year rather than spending it on petrol and driving around everywhere. They even have have automatic top up system, so that you don't have to go to the newsagency every time to recharge - how amazing is that! Seriously, you're an adult - take some responsibility and encourage your kids independence. God help your kids for having such a shitty parent if that's your attitude to life.
Open your eyes Adelaidemetros own advice is that metrocard is not intended for casual users.
The current metrocard system is inadequate that is why the validators are already being replaced.
They are not installing new validators because no one wants to use them.
The ticket machines on trains and at bus stations are not there for shits and giggles. Those are there because the old validators were not able to sell tickets themselves.

My question was will the new validators have the same limitation that they can not sell multiple tickets to a single individual.
Reading between the lines it appears you both agree that they will have the same limitation.
But that isn't because you guys actually have any clue about what you are talking about.
Instead your answer appears to mostly be coming from incoherent logic that no one wants to buy tickets on a bus - they instead want to drive somewhere else, pay more money for the tickets and then drive back to the bus. Because Metrocard is God or something.

I actually have no clue why you think that's a great system, it isn't. That is a terrible system.

Once the validators everywhere accept Visa/mastercard/etc I imagine there will be strong demand to reduce the single trip price and cancel metrocard all together.
The overheads of the transaction will be very similar.

One response was a misguided insult about talking slowly because validators only validate tickets.
It seems this is all way above both of your heads.

My kids will be fine not worshipping the almighty Metrocard you lord in your household. Thanks for your kind words.

Amazing it can auto top up?
Oh boy, you certainly are a laugh.....
I don't understand your problem with metro card.

I am a casual user. I got a metrocard years ago. I use it when I need to. It's easier than the paper tickets. It's cheaper than mastercard or visa.

I've used Mastercard and Visa interstate and overseas. They are almost always more expensive than the local Metrocard equivalent. Either that, or they are menu based, and everyone has to wait while the casual user stands there figuring out the menu.

Now, obviously, it could be more convenient for casual travellers to get on a bus and buy a paper ticket, but that's a big cost for the transit authority. Now, if there was a huge call for it, then fine. However, the number of people who are likely to get on a bus after using a car all their, and then suddenly decide PT is for them based only on being able to get a ticket at the door is pretty small. Plus, if they do suddenly change a lifetime habit and use PT more often, then they're sure to go buy a Metrocard in any case. As for multiple passengers, I still don't get why a parent wouldn't have cards for each kid. It's simply not clear to me what the problem is.

PeFe

#1586 Post by PeFe » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:41 am

Bts

Validators are not ticket machines......yes there is some cross over ie when you buy a ticket on the train in Adelaide but in general across the world "buying and validating" is done in 2 different machines. This obviously is done so tickets can be stored, not necessarily used on the same day.

Metrocard is a great system to use. The cards last "forever". Once bought the card lasts for as long as you keep it in good condition.

Auto top-up is a great way of putting money on the card with no effort. You authorize Adelaide Metro to take money from your credit card once the balance is low.
You set it up once and away you go, money will always be on the card. Excellent way to make sure the kids always have money on their cards and are never stuck without transport options. There is only one caveat for casual users, once the card has been topped up you usually have to use it once in the next 60 days otherwise the money is returned to the credit card. Metrocards can be monitored online, all family cards can be monitored by one person.

Bts don't move interstate if you don't want to deal with smart public transport cards. Melbourne and Sydney are card only. Dont go overseas.... London is card only, Los Angeles is card for the train system, effectively making it a card only system.

By making the buses card only it has effectively sped up the service, how much time was wasted when 40 people got on a bus and all individually bought a ticket?
Now bus drivers concentrate on driving (and are no longer robbery targets) getting people to their destination faster.

Even for car drivers who say "I never use public transport" having a Metrocard is a smart thing to do.....backup in case of car trouble, perfect for that night out when you want to drink and not pay the taxi fares. Every Adelaidian should have a Metrocard, indeed every South Australian who ever travels to Adelaide should get themselves a Metrocard.

The 28 day Metrocard pass at $105 is Australia's best public transport deal. Dont move to Perth or Brisbane expecting lower public transport fares, it aint gonna happen.

The "tap and go" payment method using a credit card only charges Metrocard prices, not single ticket prices. This is now available on tram only (no transfers available to bus or train) This will soon be available on the O-Bahn buses and then hopefully the trains.

bits
Legendary Member!

#1587 Post by bits » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:12 pm

rubberman wrote: Now, obviously, it could be more convenient for casual travellers to get on a bus and buy a paper ticket, but that's a big cost for the transit authority. Now, if there was a huge call for it, then fine. However, the number of people who are likely to get on a bus after using a car all their, and then suddenly decide PT is for them based only on being able to get a ticket at the door is pretty small. Plus, if they do suddenly change a lifetime habit and use PT more often, then they're sure to go buy a Metrocard in any case.
The government must be very misguided to currently be replacing the validators at great expense to allow for people to buy on a bus with visa/MasterCard.

Reality is occurring all around you.

bits
Legendary Member!

#1588 Post by bits » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:54 pm

PeFe wrote: Auto top-up is a great way of putting money on the card with no effort. You authorize Adelaide Metro to take money from your credit card once the balance is low.
You set it up once and away you go, money will always be on the card.
Or I could just pay directly with the card that would be funding the Metrocard. The same way I pay for all other purchases everywhere. Sounds super simple and quick to me.
The same way that is currently being added to buses and is already available in trains and trams.

If we do need a Metrocard, it should be possible to virtualize the metrocard and store it in Google Pay like you can a Woolworths rewards card.
Or the Australian Government covid vaccine passport.

Adelaidemetro app and website could easily sell tickets and the validator could easily validate via NFC the Metrocard in an existing smartphone wallet.
It could easily manage that the validation for the trip was for 1 adult and 3 kids.
That would be an actual decent system.

The current system is terrible but you guys are claiming it is amazing because it has a direct debit facility?
It is a very low bar you have set yourself for amazing.

Just head to the local newsagent to purchase a metrocard right? Where I will pick up the newspaper and my latest magazine subscriptions?
I am sure it still shocks you it is 2022 when you sign things.
Last edited by bits on Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeFe

#1589 Post by PeFe » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:45 pm

bits wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:54 pm
PeFe wrote: Auto top-up is a great way of putting money on the card with no effort. You authorize Adelaide Metro to take money from your credit card once the balance is low.
You set it up once and away you go, money will always be on the card.
Or I could just pay directly with the card that would be funding the Metrocard. The same way I pay for all other purchases everywhere. Sounds super simple and quick to me.
The same way that is currently being added to buses and is already available in trains and trams.
Yes eventually you will be able to pay for all public transport with an Australian issued credit card but not yet.

As I said in my previous post....not yet on trains....and no transfers between modes with differing ticket systems. Important to remember that at the moment.

[Shuz]

#1590 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:09 pm

It's only taken 17 days in 2022 for Bits to already be awarded the dishonour of one of SA's most annoying forumers, joining the miserable likes of GHS, ScooterGuy & HiTouch. :applause:
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.