News & Discussion: Cycling

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Cycling

#421 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:14 pm

mattwinter wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:17 pm
baytram366 wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:59 am
There should really be a tram stop up there with the stairs connecting the train station to the tram stop. I still don't understand why this wasn't done when they upgraded the Glenelg line before the flexity trams came in to service.
I'm thinking
a. they'd need to put stairs on the south side of the bridge too for access to both sides of the tram lines
b. not sure if the slope would mean you could safetly do a platform and a place for the tram to stop so might need the whole bridge rebuilt

Given that it'd be a much more expensive project to do this and probably not justified to save a few people a short walk. It's a nice idea and I'd love to see it done but don't think it will meet the 'bang for buck' test
The integrated tram stop doesn't even need to be on the overpass. The overpass ends 100 m North-east from the intersection, so it wouldn't be expensive to put a tram stop on level ground there. You also wouldn't need stairs or long ramps, which makes the stop more accessible than putting it on the overpass.

IMHO there are too many stops on the Glenelg tramline, but integration with Goodwood railway station will be worth it.

VLtom
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#422 Post by VLtom » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:41 am

State Government has announced some increased funding for cycling in the CBD and the suburbs. $3.2 million for 34 different cycle projects around the state, hopefully going to be good

https://www.premier.sa.gov.au/news/medi ... 2KDv_WfScA

Particular focus on '11 cycle projects' in the CBD, valued at $12 million co-funded with the ACC I believe https://twitter.com/AdelaideMP/status/1 ... 81671?s=20

Embarrassingly still no east-west bikeway though, instead we're avoiding the issue and the Mayor said these projects don't involve removal of car parks :roll:

whatstheirnamesmom
Gold-Member ;)

#423 Post by whatstheirnamesmom » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:36 pm

While I do wish there were some more ambitious projects, I welcome the news as any funding and upgrades are better than none. And it can only result in more people choosing to cycle and walk. A good health and environmental outcome.

What would be more powerful is a new state-wide set of design standards for bike paths and lanes that prioritise user safety. Due to morning traffic congestion, cycling is the quickest way to get to work for me. I use Payneham Rd, but being next to 60km/h traffic with nothing but a white painted line separating us... even when it's the best form of transport for me (most convenient, fastest, cheapest, most direct, doubles as my daily exercise) – safety concerns will always put other people off. More separated bike paths and bike lanes, full lane greening, and other road design that forces motorists to slow down or double-check or give consideration. Very achieveable.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#424 Post by Norman » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:27 am

Here's the full list of cycling projects in the City of Adelaide:

Map projects:
  1. Lighting and path upgrade – Bonython Park
  2. Improve crossings at the two locations where the shared path crosses Park Land access roads (alongside Port Road)
  3. Improve the shared path connection on the northern side of Port Road
  4. Improve safety on the existing shared path at the car park entry on Port Road
  5. Install signalised bike and pedestrian crossings of North Terrace at George Street (western side of the intersection)
  6. Construct a new shared use path adjacent Fitzroy Terrace/Robe Terrace (Kantarilla/Yam Daisy (Park 3) and Ngampa Yerta/Bragg Parks (Park 5))
  7. Install signalised bike and pedestrian crossings of North Terrace at East Terrace (eastern side)
  8. Construct a new shared use path adjacent Dequetteville Terrace (Kadlitpina/Rundle Park (Park 13))
  9. Construct a new shared use path adjacent Dequetteville Terrace (Murlawirrapurka/Rymill Park (Park 14))
  10. Install lighting on the existing shared path on the northern side of Wakefield Road (Ityamai-Itpina/King Rodney Park (Park 15))
  11. Construct a new shared use path adjacent South Terrace (Wita Wirra/Peppermint Park (Park 18) and Tuthangga/Carriageway Park (Park 17)

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#425 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:11 am

As someone who regularly rides this route 1, 2, 3 and 4 are very welcome improvements :)

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#426 Post by SRW » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:33 pm

Number 7 is great from a pedestrian standpoint too.

All in all pretty small fry stuff.
Keep Adelaide Weird

ralmin
Gold-Member ;)

#427 Post by ralmin » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:54 am

My hope is for the paths along Dequetteville Tce to be continued south, continuing next to Fullarton Rd, down to the corner of Greenhill Rd. There's not even a proper footpath along either side of Fullarton Rd, and no bike lanes either.

VLtom
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#428 Post by VLtom » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:33 am

These projects are beyond disappointing for $10 million. While none are necessarily bad these should all except 1 should be very low priority projects. The extra ped crossings are nice, but shouldn't be coming out of 'cycling' funding, the new shared used paths in the east are nice, but close to being useless for cycle commuters. Cycling into the CBD will not really get easier, cycling within the CBD will remain the same. These are bad projects that don't address the systemic issues surrounding Adelaide's car dominated nature and the problems that make CBD cycling so dangerous and tiring. $10 million should get an east-west bikeway, or at least some improvements to still discontinuous bike lanes, complete the west side back streets network.

This does none of that, this is cycling for a hobby by councilors who are too sacred to impede on every road having tens of car parking spaces.

Nathan

#429 Post by Nathan » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:28 pm

VLtom wrote:$10 million should get an east-west bikeway
It would have. This is basically the money that the government would have chipped in for the bikeway (had the ACC not been the ACC) just re-allocated.

The extra lighting in Bonython Park will be nice, but it’s definitely small stuff.

I’d love to see some better connections between the linear path and the city. There really really needs to be a connection between the south path and the intersection of Victoria Dr / Frome Rd, and also between the northern path and War Memorial Dr west of Montefiore Rd (that doesn’t involve doubling back through the Par 3 car park - particularly after they inexplicably closed the gap in the fence near the tennis courts at the end of the desire line).

It would also be nice to see some straighter paths following alongside the Outer Harbor and Gawler lines through Bonython and Mary Lee Parks.

whatstheirnamesmom
Gold-Member ;)

#430 Post by whatstheirnamesmom » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:43 pm

Drivers' month proponent wants car commuters to guide the city’s cycling network - CityMag

Some pretty shocking comments coming out of the Team Adelaide faction of Adelaide City Council today…
Councillor Jessy Khera, responsible for last year’s contentious drivers’ month, said the council should “explicitly state” they were “engaging people who drive” in the development of the network, “because they are obviously the most immediately impacted along with people who cycle.”

Khera, aligned with the Team Adelaide majority voting bloc, also told the chamber it would be a “dangerous path” for the council to recommend the health benefits of cycling, likening it to “social engineering”.

“If we’re putting out messaging that — what we’re doing is we want to shunt you off your car and put you on a bike because that’s good for you… It really has an echo of Stalinist, kind of, Orwellian, ‘We’re going to whip you onto the bike and make you exercise’, kind of stuff,” he said.
I am not holding my breath for any good cycling outcomes in the CBD under this term of council… bring on November 2022 🗳

Nathan

#431 Post by Nathan » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:43 pm

whatstheirnamesmom wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:43 pm
Drivers' month proponent wants car commuters to guide the city’s cycling network - CityMag

Some pretty shocking comments coming out of the Team Adelaide faction of Adelaide City Council today…
Councillor Jessy Khera, responsible for last year’s contentious drivers’ month, said the council should “explicitly state” they were “engaging people who drive” in the development of the network, “because they are obviously the most immediately impacted along with people who cycle.”

Khera, aligned with the Team Adelaide majority voting bloc, also told the chamber it would be a “dangerous path” for the council to recommend the health benefits of cycling, likening it to “social engineering”.

“If we’re putting out messaging that — what we’re doing is we want to shunt you off your car and put you on a bike because that’s good for you… It really has an echo of Stalinist, kind of, Orwellian, ‘We’re going to whip you onto the bike and make you exercise’, kind of stuff,” he said.
I am not holding my breath for any good cycling outcomes in the CBD under this term of council… bring on November 2022 🗳
After reading all of Khera and Hyde's comments in that article...

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#432 Post by gnrc_louis » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:12 pm

Nathan wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:43 pm
whatstheirnamesmom wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:43 pm

After reading all of Khera and Hyde's comments in that article...

He is either being disingenuous or he is just incredibly stupid.... or both.

ChillyPhilly

#433 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:31 am

Yikes. What an embarrassment.

It's time the Department took over cycling funding and projects.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Nort

#434 Post by Nort » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:58 am

Jessy is a fucking wingnut, he's also the guy that accused the ACC of having a "Taliban Wing" and being run by "Osama Green Laden" because they were looking at options for replacing NYE fireworks with a lights or drone display.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#435 Post by SRW » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:39 pm

It's sad that Liberal party operatives no longer seem to graduate from StuPol but now infect every institution they inhabit with its same insipid nonsense.
Keep Adelaide Weird