News & Discussion: Other Metropolitan Developments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: News & Discussion: Other Metropolitan Developments

#1606 Post by rev » Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:04 pm

https://www.news.com.au/technology/envi ... c3f1d4f2d9

The state government is stopping dark coloured roofs in the Playford Alive project, or whats left of it to be built anyway.

Nick Champion, Minister for Housing and Urban Development, said most of the homes built to date have dark-coloured roofs.

But no more. Last week, Mr Champion announced that dark roofs will be eliminated from all future stages of Playford Alive.

“Encouraging the use of light-coloured roofs in home designs helps to reduce temperature fluctuations in the home – lowering electricity bills and minimising the environmental footprint associated with traditional building practices,” Mr Champion said.

“It is imperative that we mitigate any potential urban heat island effect by implementing these changes now, as our infill is built-up to meet housing demands.”

The urban heat island effect describes scenarios where pockets are substantially hotter than nearby areas, resulting in hotter streets, higher daytime temperatures, and lower night-time cooling.

A report by Seed Consulting, which heat-mapped Adelaide’s northern suburbs, found homes with light-coloured roofs were 4.3C cooler on an average day than dark roofed homes.

Another great step would be to ban that shit artificial grass, same problem with it in the sun.
Negative air pressure testing should also be a thing in this country, like it is overseas.
Double glazed windows, which has long been a standard building feature overseas but not here, should be mandatory too.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1607 Post by [Shuz] » Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:38 pm

Forgot the most important one.

How about we stop cutting down established trees!?

The amount of green cover we have lost in the last 20 or so years is absolutely horrendous.

Trees are literally the best form of protection from the sun and the best solution to the urban heat island effect. And probably the cheapest solution too.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Neko Neko Peko Peko
Gold-Member ;)

#1608 Post by Neko Neko Peko Peko » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:35 pm

rev wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:04 pm

The state government is stopping dark coloured roofs in the Playford Alive project, or whats left of it to be built anyway.

Nick Champion, Minister for Housing and Urban Development, said most of the homes built to date have dark-coloured roofs.

But no more. Last week, Mr Champion announced that dark roofs will be eliminated from all future stages of Playford Alive.

“Encouraging the use of light-coloured roofs in home designs helps to reduce temperature fluctuations in the home – lowering electricity bills and minimising the environmental footprint associated with traditional building practices,” Mr Champion said.

“It is imperative that we mitigate any potential urban heat island effect by implementing these changes now, as our infill is built-up to meet housing demands.”

The urban heat island effect describes scenarios where pockets are substantially hotter than nearby areas, resulting in hotter streets, higher daytime temperatures, and lower night-time cooling.

A report by Seed Consulting, which heat-mapped Adelaide’s northern suburbs, found homes with light-coloured roofs were 4.3C cooler on an average day than dark roofed homes.

Another great step would be to ban that shit artificial grass, same problem with it in the sun.
Negative air pressure testing should also be a thing in this country, like it is overseas.
Double glazed windows, which has long been a standard building feature overseas but not here, should be mandatory too.

I would have thought the colour of the roof would be more of a council level issue and is barely a drop in the ocean looking at the bigger picture. These houses with a light coloured roof are still going to perform horribly when surrounded by a sea of concrete and bitumen with no tree coverage.

It's incredibly underwhelming how out of depth the planning minister is 😖

abc
Legendary Member!

#1609 Post by abc » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:07 pm

Neko Neko Peko Peko wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:35 pm
rev wrote:

I would have thought the colour of the roof would be more of a council level issue and is barely a drop in the ocean looking at the bigger picture. These houses with a light coloured roof are still going to perform horribly when surrounded by a sea of concrete and bitumen with no tree coverage.

Heating is more expensive than cooling, so those light coloured roof houses will need more heating in the cooler months and thus will use more energy on an annual basis.

I wonder did they base this decision on the heat map or on the actual energy usage of those dwellings? I bet I can guess which.

ChillyPhilly

#1610 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:39 am

This is the first agreeable planning issue I have heard Champion speak of, so credit where it is due.

The next step will be to improve building materials used in construction.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

abc
Legendary Member!

#1611 Post by abc » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:21 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:39 am
This is the first agreeable planning issue I have heard Champion speak of, so credit where it is due.

you would

rev

#1612 Post by rev » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:57 pm

abc wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:07 pm
rev wrote:

Heating is more expensive than cooling, so those light coloured roof houses will need more heating in the cooler months and thus will use more energy on an annual basis.

I wonder did they base this decision on the heat map or on the actual energy usage of those dwellings? I bet I can guess which.
How will more energy be used if the home is better insulated, and therefore needing air-conditioning/heating to be used less often and for shorter durations?

rev

#1613 Post by rev » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:23 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:39 am

100%.
Most homes being built are brick veneer, rubbish. Brick exterior, timber/metal frame with insulation and a gyprock interior wall.

3D printed hemp houses??

https://youtu.be/7cbUP95mwLw

Nort

#1614 Post by Nort » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:40 pm

abc wrote:

Can you share the math you used for this? Intuitively it feels like the beneficial effect in summer would vastly outweigh the negative effect in winter, so am keen to see to see the actual energy use you refer to.

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

#1615 Post by baytram366 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:17 pm

I live in a 1950's double brick home and don't often need heating or cooling until days like today (41 degrees). However, I noticed the house behind us (built approx. 5 years ago with a dark grey tiled roof) has their cooling doing almost 24/7 during summer. I'd hate to think what their elec bill would be like. People are very quick to knock down older homes but they are definitely built to last and keep the occupants cooler.
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

abc
Legendary Member!

#1616 Post by abc » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:33 pm

Nort wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:40 pm
abc wrote:

Can you share the math you used for this? Intuitively it feels like the beneficial effect in summer would vastly outweigh the negative effect in winter, so am keen to see to see the actual energy use you refer to.
are my electricity bills for the last 30 years good enough for you?

abc
Legendary Member!

#1617 Post by abc » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:10 pm

Mpol02 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:55 pm
Boooooomer
wrong again kid

Nort

#1618 Post by Nort » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:12 pm

abc wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:33 pm
Nort wrote:
abc wrote:

Not the assertion that heating costs more than cooling. The assertion that those houses will use more energy.

The difference in roof temperature would be dramatically different in summer compared to the difference in winter.

abc
Legendary Member!

#1619 Post by abc » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:20 pm

Nort wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:12 pm
abc wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:33 pm
Nort wrote:

Not the assertion that heating costs more than cooling. The assertion that those houses will use more energy.

The difference in roof temperature would be dramatically different in summer compared to the difference in winter.
says who?

there's a lot of sunshine in Adelaide winters, even when the air is cooler

abc
Legendary Member!

#1620 Post by abc » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:24 pm

rev wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:57 pm
abc wrote:

How will more energy be used if the home is better insulated, and therefore needing air-conditioning/heating to be used less often and for shorter durations?
what does this have to do with the colour of rooves?

are you trying to tell me insulation only works for keeping the place warm?