News & Discussion: Other Metropolitan Developments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Eurostar
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Other Metropolitan Developments

#1516 Post by Eurostar » Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:23 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:32 am
I had a quick review of planning reports and other documents for the Hackham Code Amendment following an engagement period.

In terms of transport, it seems there will be no provision of a reserve for a southward extension of the Southern Expressway (it seems anything close to this would go west of existing Main South Road to Seaford Road, where there is existing reservation). Public transport will be an extension feeder bus route, but the planning report by Holmes Dyer states there is no funding for this as yet but may be the case 'in the future'.

I don't understand how these developments are ever considered viable - technically, they are not.
"Extension feeder bus route" will refer to 743/744 or 745/747. 743, is doable with traffic lights to help get out of Melsetter Road. 745/747 would make for a very long loop.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1517 Post by SRW » Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:51 pm

The State Government is releasing more land at Aldinga, Noarlunga Downs and Golden Grove for about 1900 homes:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-30/ ... /102284062

In the case of Noarlunga Downs and especially Aldinga, I hope there will be a focus on higher density adjacent the rail corridor.

Renewal SA will manage these two sites, though to my mind, I'd rather have them working on unlocking the square mile for residential development.
Keep Adelaide Weird

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#1518 Post by gnrc_louis » Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:33 pm

SRW wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:51 pm
The State Government is releasing more land at Aldinga, Noarlunga Downs and Golden Grove for about 1900 homes:

In the case of Noarlunga Downs and especially Aldinga, I hope there will be a focus on higher density adjacent the rail corridor.

Renewal SA will manage these two sites, though to my mind, I'd rather have them working on unlocking the square mile for residential development.
Agreed, but I wouldn't bet on any higher density under this current government.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1519 Post by rev » Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:43 pm

Nathan wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:52 pm
Former Metcash site off Findon Rd in Kidman Park.
City of Charles Sturt, Fairland unveil bid for 400 homes up to five storeys at former Metcash site

A huge industrial site in Adelaide’s west could make way for up to 400 new homes under rezoning plans – including apartments up to five storeys high.

Apartments up to five storeys high could be built on a former industrial site in Adelaide’s west under a rezoning proposal by the local council.

Local developer Fairland acquired the former Metcash distribution centre last year, unveiling plans to build up to 250 traditional homes and townhouses across 12ha of land.

However a development code amendment proposed by the City of Charles Sturt would allow for development up to five storeys, boosting the number of new homes to up to 400.

The site, bounded by Findon and Valetta roads, the River Torrens and existing housing on its western side, has been described as the largest remaining infill development site in Adelaide’s western suburbs.

Rezoning the land to an Urban Renewal Neighbourhood Zone would allow for a mix of higher-density housing and commercial development.

A concept plan prepared by the council envisages a three-storey height limit across most of the site, rising to four storeys around an area of public open space at the southern end, and five storeys on a pocket of land near the corner of Findon Rd and the river.

Mixed-use commercial development is proposed for the northeastern corner of the site, at the corner of Findon and Valetta roads.

“Larger infill sites present an opportunity to achieve co-ordinated development at higher densities and with better-quality built form and public-realm outcomes,” the draft development code amendment says.

“Consequently, the affected area provides an opportunity to deliver approximately 12.6ha of new residential land in a planned and co-ordinated manner, reducing the reliance upon minor infill to meet housing demand in the City of Charles Sturt.

“Under a low- to medium-density residential scenario, the subject land is anticipated to yield in the order of 350-400 dwellings with the potential for approximately five higher-density apartment sites.”

Fairland, which owns close to 95 per cent of the 12.6ha site being considered for rezoning, is funding the rezoning process.

A public consultation period closes on Tuesday next week before a public meeting on June 20.

The development code amendment will then be considered by the state government for final approval.

Fairland declined to comment, referring inquiries to the council. The City of Charles Sturt has been contacted for comment.

Fairland, the development arm of Fairmont Group, paid $41.5m for the former industrial site last year following Metcash’s move to a new $80m distribution centre in Gepps Cross.

At the time Fairland general manager Scott Searle said he expected the master-planned residential project would comprise of a mix of traditional housing and townhouses.

“We see the development here being one that has a mixture of housing types from small lots through to more traditional single- and two-storey housing,” he said following the acquisition.

“There will be opportunities for townhouse development – two-storey, three-storey – but we don’t think the site is ultimately needed to contain apartments or other styles of higher-density development.”
Looks like this site has basically been demolished now, just piles of dirt or rubble remain from what I could see driving past.
Meanwhile down at Kilkenny, they're still to demolish everything..must be a shit tonne of asbestos.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1520 Post by SBD » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:56 pm

"Releasing" more land does not necessarily result in more homes.

There are still crops grown on land "released" for housing in 2011. The press releases at the time included phrases like "one of the largest residential land releases in Adelaide's history", "assist with housing affordability", "support required infrastructure development", "timely and affordable housing".

Infrastructure Minister Patrick Conlon retired from parliament before our current premier was first elected, so I guess the current government is not bound to action on decisions of the Former Labor Government. "Not Invented Here" means they need to announce more land releases instead of actually building houses on previous announcements.

https://www.realestatesource.com.au/sou ... ment-site/

ChillyPhilly

#1521 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon May 01, 2023 8:51 am

SRW wrote:

Absolutely critical. Unfortunately, I'm not optimistic, and not confident Nick Champion understands the importance of density. However, in all these locations, there is no existing character to 'protect', nor any reason to impose height limits.

Image of the reserved rail corridor:

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

ChillyPhilly

#1522 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon May 01, 2023 2:26 pm

abc wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 8:51 am
SRW wrote:

Absolutely critical. Unfortunately, I'm not optimistic, and not confident Nick Champion understands the importance of density. However, in all these locations, there is no existing character to 'protect', nor any reason to impose height limits.

are you doing your bit by living in a high rise apartment?
I live in a location that is walkable with all types of public transit corridors available within walking distance, including high frequency rail, on a street with relatively high residential density.

So, yes.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1523 Post by SRW » Mon May 01, 2023 2:28 pm

SBD wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:56 pm

There are still crops grown on land "released" for housing in 2011. The press releases at the time included phrases like "one of the largest residential land releases in Adelaide's history", "assist with housing affordability", "support required infrastructure development", "timely and affordable housing".

Infrastructure Minister Patrick Conlon retired from parliament before our current premier was first elected, so I guess the current government is not bound to action on decisions of the Former Labor Government. "Not Invented Here" means they need to announce more land releases instead of actually building houses on previous announcements.

Yes, land banking (dripping out lots to jack up values) by private developers is an issue. Hopefully, the southern land releases being managed by Renewal SA avoids this fate (among others)? Golden Grove is private land that the government has agreed to rezone, so probably more of a risk there.
Keep Adelaide Weird

abc
Legendary Member!

#1524 Post by abc » Mon May 01, 2023 7:29 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 2:26 pm
abc wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:

I live in a location that is walkable with all types of public transit corridors available within walking distance, including high frequency rail, on a street with relatively high residential density.

So, yes.
that's not what I asked

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1525 Post by rev » Tue May 02, 2023 12:21 pm

abc wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 7:29 pm
ChillyPhilly wrote:
abc wrote:

So, yes.
that's not what I asked
Your question was answered though.
Because the point of higher density living, close to amenities and public transport, are the same as if Chilly was living in a detached dwelling close to amenities and public transport.

In an ideal world the cost of living, including the cost of land and housing, would not have spiralled out of control compared to wages growth, we'd also have a City/Cbd full of apartment buildings aka high density living, the inner suburbs that ring the City would be full of high density buildings as well where possible, with the occasional TOD in key areas like Port Adelaide, Elizabeth, Salisbury, Noarlunga.
We would't have urban sprawl spreading out further onto greenfields sites like we do, but the way things are it's necessary even if some don't like it.

SBD

#1526 Post by SBD » Tue May 02, 2023 12:51 pm

SRW wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 2:28 pm
SBD wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:56 pm

Yes, land banking (dripping out lots to jack up values) by private developers is an issue. Hopefully, the southern land releases being managed by Renewal SA avoids this fate (among others)? Golden Grove is private land that the government has agreed to rezone, so probably more of a risk there.
Much of the land I'm thinking of around here is or was owned by Renewal SA. It's the private developments that are going ahead. Another way of looking at it is that the big developments are on almost dead flat land, and the spaces that are undeveloped have a slope. That means they are more expensive to build on, but have the potential of distant views, and lower risk of flooding.

SBD

#1527 Post by SBD » Tue May 02, 2023 1:05 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
SRW wrote:

Does the dirt runway 14/32 at Aldinga Airfield get used? It points almost directly at the centre of this development, and the threshold is less than 2km away from it. That has the potential to restrict tall development in the area.

abc
Legendary Member!

#1528 Post by abc » Tue May 02, 2023 10:18 pm

rev wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 12:21 pm
abc wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:

So, yes.
that's not what I asked
Because the point of higher density living, close to amenities and public transport, are the same as if Chilly was living in a detached dwelling close to amenities and public transport.

In an ideal world the cost of living, including the cost of land and housing, would not have spiralled out of control compared to wages growth, we'd also have a City/Cbd full of apartment buildings aka high density living, the inner suburbs that ring the City would be full of high density buildings as well where possible, with the occasional TOD in key areas like Port Adelaide, Elizabeth, Salisbury, Noarlunga.
We would't have urban sprawl spreading out further onto greenfields sites like we do, but the way things are it's necessary even if some don't like it.
you're another one... a suburban dweller who lives in a big house telling everyone else what they should live in

SBD

#1529 Post by SBD » Wed May 03, 2023 12:43 pm

abc wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 10:18 pm
rev wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 12:21 pm
abc wrote:

that's not what I asked

you're another one... a suburban dweller who lives in a big house telling everyone else what they should live in
We haven't seen what sizes of apartments are intended to be in this development yet. I assume that "affordable" and "large" don't line up in CBD apartments OR suburban detached housing. I imagine that CBD apartment living might be quite attractive for people who have graduated after 3 or more years in student accommodation and have CBD jobs. That doesn't mean it is attractive for everyone, nor that it's attractive forever.

Llessur2002

#1530 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed May 10, 2023 1:32 pm

Proposed multimillion-dollar redevelopment for Thebarton Theatre

Proposed plans for a renovated Thebarton Theatre. Pictures: PlanningSA

The Thebarton Theatre is set to receive a facelift if plans are approved to renovate the heritage-listed venue.

JPE Design Studio, on behalf of the West Torrens council, submitted plans to Planning SA to redevelop the western suburbs theatre.

The development includes a new main entry foyer and front-of-house area for patrons, while the iconic sign on the eastern wall of the theatre listing upcoming shows will be replaced with a digital LED screen.

Artist impressions of the new Thebarton Theatre’s entry area. Pictures: PlanningSA

Artist impressions of the new Thebarton Theatre. Pictures: PlanningSA

The ground floor of the new main entry foyer will feature north and south entry doors, toilet facilities and access to the upper storey via a set of stairs and a lift.

The upper floor is set to feature more bathrooms, a seating area and a connection to upper-storey seating areas.

In 2021, the state government promised a $17m upgrade for Thebarton Theatre, including a new ground-level entry foyer, auditorium timber flooring and roof solar panels.

No extra seating in the auditorium is proposed.

Renovations will also be undertaken inside the theatre if plans are approved.

The walls within the stage area, existing entry foyer and assembly building will be patched and painted as required, the flooring of the theatre’s auditorium area will be replaced with hardwood timber and the bar area will receive a new fit-out.

The behind-the-scenes store will also be refloored to provide consistency with the remainder of the building.

The exterior of the theatre will also be repainted to update the condition.

How the Thebarton Theatre in Hindmarsh looks now. Picture: Matt Loxton

A total of 37 parking spaces and 16 bicycle spaces to be available on site.

No third-party advertising is proposed for the new LED screen.

A proposed single-storey extension to the rear of the theatre would serve as the primary loading dock and feature a low-pitch skillion roof, roller door and pedestrian door.

The plans come after the theatre was scheduled to be demolished in the final stage of the North-South Corridor project.

However the theatre along with almost 500 homes were spared thanks to the decision to build two tunnels alongside South Rd instead.

The demolition plan by the former Liberal government sparked outrage and a campaign to protect it – with a video of then-premier Steven Marshall emerging in which he called for the theatre to “never be bulldozed”.
From: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... 4c4273952e