Footy at Adelaide Oval

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Footy at Adelaide Oval

#1 Post by Wayno » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:09 am

holding talks is a good first step...

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 01,00.html
SANFL and AFL leaders will meet in Melbourne today in an extraordinary session which could bring AFL games to the redeveloped Adelaide Oval.

And there is the expectation SA Cricket Association officials will be drawn into the talks.

SANFL president Rod Payze confirmed he and league chief executive Leigh Whicker have been called to meet AFL Commission chairman Mike Fitzpatrick and league chief executive Andrew Demetriou today.

Mr Payze was not aware of any SACA involvement in today's meetings. "This is not a meeting called by the SANFL; we are going there at the invitation of the AFL," he said.

"It is to discuss a number of football things."

SACA officials are already in Melbourne for end-of-season meetings with Cricket Australia but would not confirm any session with the AFL.

The Advertiser understands Mr Fitzpatrick and Mr Demetriou ultimately want the SANFL and SACA in face-to-face meetings to resolve Adelaide's long-running stadium debate. The potential consequences of the session are:

AFL games at Adelaide Oval after capacity at the city ground is increased to 35,000 and facilities improved by the $90 million redevelopment due for completion by the end of 2010.

PORT ADELAIDE, which is losing money playing at the 51,515-seat AAMI Stadium while averaging crowds of 30,000, moving home games to Adelaide Oval.

A JOINT bid by the SANFL and SACA in seeking Federal Government money to redevelop both AAMI Stadium and Adelaide Oval.

AN end to the Opposition's plans for a new city sports stadium on Adelaide's western edge with neither cricket nor football endorsing the project.

The SACA last night confirmed it had meetings yesterday in Adelaide with SANFL officials. The cricket association said these were to discuss how SANFL football could be played at Adelaide Oval during the redevelopment of the ground's western flank.

The AFL has declined to make any public comment on a meeting which could end 40 years of tense relations between the SANFL and SACA. The SANFL in 1969 opted out of sharing Adelaide Oval, which is controlled by the SACA, to build its first football-owned headquarters at West Lakes.

The SANFL last played its grand final at Adelaide Oval in 1973 and then took football's best games to AAMI Stadium, originally called Football Park, in 1974. The league has refused to sanction any AFL games at Adelaide Oval, insisting all Crows and Power home matches be played at West Lakes. The SANFL, which owns the AFL licences of the Crows and Power, says its licence agreement with the AFL demands there be 22 AFL premiership matches – 11 from Adelaide and 11 from Port – played at AAMI Stadium each season.

The SANFL in 2002 gained assurances from the AFL that any AFL games transferred by non-SA clubs to Adelaide would be played at AAMI Stadium and not Adelaide Oval.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

fasterthanlids
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Footy at Adelaide Oval

#2 Post by fasterthanlids » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:46 am

I'd love for this to happen (especially the further upgrades mentioned in the sports section), but could Mike be cashing in his political chips with the SACA and SANFL to shoot Hamilton-Smith's proposal down? I know this has been mooted for a while, but the timing is curious to say the least.

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#3 Post by ricecrackers » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:43 am

read the article...there is no substance to it at all

the Advertiser have a sick obsession with this stadium thing
If 50 million believe in a fallacy, it is still a fallacy..." Professor S.W. Carey

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#4 Post by Cruise » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:46 pm

Just some food for thought:

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/n ... fault.aspx
ANDREW Demetriou says the AFL is fully supporting Port Adelaide in the face of the South Australian club's financial crisis.

The club requested financial help last month due to cash flow, stadium deal and debt issues, but Demetriou said the AFL and the SANFL would ensure the club's future.

"It's very serious, it's a very serious financial situation," Demetriou said in Melbourne on Thursday afternoon.

"It's on the public record that they have got significant debt and they've got a significant shortage in their cash flow.

"But we're committed, like the SANFL, to working with Port Adelaide – they're a very important franchise in the AFL competition, and they're a great club, rich in history.

"We'll work very closely with the SANFL and Port Adelaide to make sure we get things right."

Demetriou said the club was in no danger of falling over.

"We don't believe so – all of our clubs, from time to time, go through various difficulties, and what's important is to reiterate how committed we are, with the SANFL, to helping Port Adelaide."

Demetriou also said there would be no third stadium in Adelaide.

"We discussed various options, and we do not support the option of a new stadium – there are already two very very good stadia in South Australia.

"The option of a third stadium, at a considerable cost, is not one that we support during this period of time."

Demetriou said there would not be any AFL teams – either Port Adelaide or all non-South Australian games – played at the Adelaide Oval in the short term.

“SACA (South Australian Cricket Association) presented a concept design to the SANFL and the AFL to expand Adelaide Oval’s capacity to beyond 50,000 while the SANFL reaffirmed its commitment for the game’s home to be at AAMI Stadium and restated the importance of the $100 million required from the State Government for its $200 million redevelopment,” he said.

Demetriou said more work needed to be done by all parties to explore what could work best for the SANFL and the SACA and all parties have agreed to meet again late next month.
Last edited by Cruise on Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by Wayno » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:55 pm

This is all timely conversation, esp since the AFL is renegotiating deals with at least 1 melbourne stadium.

AAMI Stadium (and the SANFL) should beware - they are not immune from this issue.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#6 Post by Shuz » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:21 pm

Demetriou saying that Adelaide to have three stadiums would never happen. If the new stadium in the city got built, AAMI would be demolished. Duh.

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#7 Post by aceman » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:22 pm

Continuing discussion from the Adelaide oval redevelopment thread.

I strongly believe that if the SACA and SANFL were to operate out of the one stadium it would make financial sense for both parties as they would share the ground expenses and maintenance costs. The land at west lakes would be worth a fortune so the SANFL wouldn't loose out their piece of real estate. All Adelaide Oval needs is a 50,000 seat capacity which would not involve the removal of the hill and heritage scoreboard. After the western stand is developed upgrade the eastern Chappell stands and you would almost certainly reach a seating capacity of 50,000. Carefully position the AAMI supercreens and there you have it. The perfect stadium for both footy and cricket. Also as was mentioned extend the tram line down King William Street to North Adelaide.

I long for the day when the SANFL grand final moves back to it's spiritual home. In Adelaide there is no need for an MCG style redevelopment where they basically build a new stadium in stages. This way the oval can retain it's heritage charm whilst at the same time being fit to host major international sporting events such as the soccer world cup. And before anyone says that you can't play soccer and rugby games on an oval field just think back to the 2003 Rugby world cup final as that was played at the Sydney Olympic Stadium. I also am old enough to remember the 1990 Soccer world cup final which was played at Rome's Olympic stadium where they still had the 400m synthetic running track around the perimeter of the soccer pitch.

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#8 Post by Paulns » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:49 am

Shuz wrote:Demetriou saying that Adelaide to have three stadiums would never happen. If the new stadium in the city got built, AAMI would be demolished. Duh.
True, true Shuz, that's just stating the down right obvious. Adelaide will never need 3 major stadiums. Surely Demetriou would know that?

I still think the real debate here is weather to have AFL Footy in the city at all. I think it's fair to say that the public opinion of AAMI stadium has really started to dim now and that the tide is really starting to turn toward the city idea.
fasterthanlids wrote:I'd love for this to happen (especially the further upgrades mentioned in the sports section), but could Mike be cashing in his political chips with the SACA and SANFL to shoot Hamilton-Smith's proposal down? I know this has been mooted for a while, but the timing is curious to say the least.
Of course they are.. Media Mike and his croony mate Foley are just trying to undermine the Liberals,"Riverside West", city sports and entertainment precinct idea, by pretending to facilitate any sort action between the SANFL, SACA and the AFL. I mean they were all well and truely happy to throw $100 million dollars at AMMI but now all of a sudden they've realised the public have had a gut full of it, they've started to jump on the,"Footy in the City's heart", bandwagon and hey presto, we support the idea now.... By shifting support away from MHS Riverside west proposal, their free to continue to push for their hospital plan on the railyards site and still pretend to support any idea of footy in the city. I know this is going outside of this forum but really the Libs plan has a lot more going for it than just increasing the AO's size.
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

ricecrackers
Banned
Banned

#9 Post by ricecrackers » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:12 pm

one problem is that the SACA have already secured approval and commenced work on the Western Grandstand; and the roof cover is quite unsuitable for winter sport, with the large gaps between the roof structure covering and the stand itself.

i'd imagine it'd get quite chilly up the top of that stand on a mid-winter evening with the wind able to whip through that gap
If 50 million believe in a fallacy, it is still a fallacy..." Professor S.W. Carey

Cam
Donating Member
Donating Member

#10 Post by Cam » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:05 am

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 82,00.html
50,000 Adelaide Oval capacity not enough, says expert

TIM HILFERTY

April 11, 2009 11:30pm

THE plan to upgrade Adelaide Oval to 50,000 capacity does not solve the city's stadium riddle, a leading industry expert has claimed.

And Ron Danvers, one of the original design team for AAMI Stadium, said an Oval upgrade to such a capacity would be very difficult to achieve without destroying the popular northern and southern hills.

The SACA will meet with the SANFL next month to present a plan for the upgraded Oval, which could then host AFL games.

But crucially, the SACA have ruled out halting work on the $95 million Members Stand redevelopment. Although the new stand will boost ground capacity from 30,000 to 36,000, it falls well short of the sort of capacity increases needed for staging AFL matches.

"I think what the SACA is doing is absolutely terrific," Danvers said.

"It is badly needed, but what is needed long-term is a purpose-built stadium. (A capacity of) 50,000 is not going to be enough in the long run.

"We are talking about something that needs to be done for the very long term."

Danvers said any Adelaide Oval redevelopment would be an imperfect compromise.

"You can't get everything right when you are working with an existing ground with all its heritage constraints," he said.

He agreed it would be difficult to boost the capacity to 50,000 incorporating the current Members Stand redevelopment and keeping the hills. "I don't think you could," he said. "I'd doubt it very much."

He said the capacity could be achievable "if you put almost all the seating on the western side of the ground" but the SACA has already ruled out that option.

"It (the redevelopment) is no replacement for a new stadium," he said. "A new stadium, purpose built, is the better option. Not just for football but for all kinds of things."

Despite the thawing of relations between the SANFL and the SACA, SANFL Chief Executive Leigh Whicker said he still preferred the proposed $190 million upgrade of AAMI Stadium to go ahead.

Danvers, however, said time was up for the stadium he helped to create.

"I wouldn't spend any more money on AAMI Stadium," Danvers said.

"It was built at a time when Waverley Stadium (in Melbourne) was in use. That fell over for the same reasons (transport) that AAMI is falling over."
Footy Park and Waverly Park were similar projects...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waverley_Park
Adelaide, Saudi Australia.

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#11 Post by aceman » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:35 am

Why can't Leigh Whicker just realize that AAMI stadium is doomed and that the majority of people would prefer a city based venue. The SANFL should never have moved out of Adelaide Oval and on top of that they should have chosen the location of the new stadium a bit more carefully.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#12 Post by rev » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:08 pm

I'm telling you now, we will get royally shafted. Not because it's not do-able, but because of all the factions involved and their reluctance to work together for the greater good of sport in this state. Bastards is one word that comes to mind, especially when the name of a certain person at the SANFL is mentioned.

Btw, construction work on the new stand hasn't started, they are still in the demolition/site works stage. So if they come to an agreement soon(very unlikely) they could halt work. But what is even more unlikely(as in hell freezing over) is Whicker actually doing what is right for the future of sport in Adelaide and by Port Adelaide...we all know how he feels about Port Adelaide. And I'm sure if he could he would tear up that second license.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#13 Post by Cruise » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:43 pm

rev wrote:I'm telling you now, we will get royally shafted. Not because it's not do-able, but because of all the factions involved and their reluctance to work together for the greater good of sport in this state. Bastards is one word that comes to mind, especially when the name of a certain person at the SANFL is mentioned.

Btw, construction work on the new stand hasn't started, they are still in the demolition/site works stage. So if they come to an agreement soon(very unlikely) they could halt work. But what is even more unlikely(as in hell freezing over) is Whicker actually doing what is right for the future of sport in Adelaide and by Port Adelaide...we all know how he feels about Port Adelaide. And I'm sure if he could he would tear up that second license.
Rev, Do you listen to 5AA?

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by Wayno » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:03 pm

Harbo says...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009 ... 542103.htm
The Adelaide Lord Mayor, Michael Harbison, has backed the idea of AFL games being played at the Adelaide Oval.

Further meetings are planned between the SANFL and the South Australian Cricket Association over the proposal.

The oval would need to be expanded to cater for more than 50,000 people.

Mr Harbison says a compromise between all parties could see it happen.

"You could still keep your northern and your eastern mound areas, you'd lose your southern mound area by rebuilding the southern stand and if you can get your numbers that way I think you could probably have your cake and eat it too," he said.

"You could have the most charming cricket ground in the world and we could have AFL there."

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#15 Post by Shuz » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:47 pm

I was actually thinking of a way to get Adelaide Oval to 50,000 and I have come up with a bit of a "best of both worlds" solution. I'll explain more when I round up a few drawings and the such together.