News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

#1006 Post by adelaide transport » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:03 am

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:59 pm
It needs to happen. If Currie/Grenfell St changes to a bus only street, it would only need to be two lanes each way, so the footpaths could be widened.
You would need the 3rd lane to be for taxis, emergency vehicles and trucks and vans loading/unloading and disability access vehicles. Not sure how you would block cars entering these streets, as most of them are already using bus lanes/

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1007 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:30 am

ml69 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:57 pm
1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:59 pm
It needs to happen. If Currie/Grenfell St changes to a bus only street, it would only need to be two lanes each way, so the footpaths could be widened.
And plant trees on both widened footpaths, and plant a row of trees down the middle of the street to soak up bus noise and fumes. Really green it up. Currie and Grenfell St barely have any street trees.
You're mistaking 'barely' for 'none'.

ginzahikari
Gold-Member ;)

#1008 Post by ginzahikari » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:25 pm

I know this sounds far-fetched, but surely they need to leave space for trams to go through under the Adelink tram project.

rubberman

#1009 Post by rubberman » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:42 pm

ginzahikari wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:25 pm
I know this sounds far-fetched, but surely they need to leave space for trams to go through under the Adelink tram project.
Buses and trams could use the same lane. There's no reason for separate tram and bus lanes.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#1010 Post by Eurostar » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:14 pm

All well and good to turn Currie/Grenfell Street into a transit mall but would that mean Gawler Place will turn into a cul de sac ?

Ho Really

#1011 Post by Ho Really » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:57 am

I love the term "cul de sac"..."arse end of the sack".

This implies Gawler Place will be a pedestrian mall with only delivery and emergency service access.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1012 Post by SRW » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:31 am

It need have no more impact to Gawler Place than to any of the other cross streets (Pultney, Frome etc), but it's worth noting Gawler Place is already a cul de sac -- it (rightly) stops dead at the mall.

Also, I doubt there's need to worry about trams. If there's ever a tram from Henley, it would more probably join a city loop at Morphett St rather than traverse the length of Currie/Grenfell.
Keep Adelaide Weird

rubberman

#1013 Post by rubberman » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:48 am

SRW wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:31 am
It need have no more impact to Gawler Place than to any of the other cross streets (Pultney, Frome etc), but it's worth noting Gawler Place is already a cul de sac -- it (rightly) stops dead at the mall.

Also, I doubt there's need to worry about trams. If there's ever a tram from Henley, it would more probably join a city loop at Morphett St rather than traverse the length of Currie/Grenfell.
Again, what possible difference could it make? You simply run trams and buses in the same lane like is done elsewhere in the world...and should have been done on Port Road and North Terrace, taking buses out of the other lanes: a win for motorists, and for bus travellers who would get a faster ride.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1014 Post by SRW » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:16 am

rubberman wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:48 am
SRW wrote:

Again, what possible difference could it make? You simply run trams and buses in the same lane like is done elsewhere in the world...and should have been done on Port Road and North Terrace, taking buses out of the other lanes: a win for motorists, and for bus travellers who would get a faster ride.
I don't disagree. I just don't think Grenfell/Currie is the right corridor, being so near to the North Terrace route.
Keep Adelaide Weird

rubberman

#1015 Post by rubberman » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:26 am

SRW wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:16 am
rubberman wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:48 am
SRW wrote:

I don't disagree. I just don't think Grenfell/Currie is the right corridor, being so near to the North Terrace route.
Ah, fair call.

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#1016 Post by Saltwater » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:12 pm

Maybe in the longer term a bus-only tunnel underneath Currie and Greenfell streets would work. I think there is a similar concept in Seattle. Here it could link up with the Obahn tunnel that emerges near East Terrace, and carry people across the CBD with stops near Rundle Street, KWS for tram connections, near Leigh St for connections to the train, and a few other stops. In the west buses could then head to the airport, Henley Beach Road and Grange Roads with frequent services. This would free up space at ground level for cars, bikes and / or pedestrians, and hopefully allow for a few trees to be planted as well.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#1017 Post by Eurostar » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:41 pm

I know it would be a bit more walk for some but what if some bus routes used Franklin and Flinders Streets

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#1018 Post by Spotto » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:30 am

In addition to the new digital bus stop screen which was installed a while ago, the wind screens at FMC bus interchange have now been refurbished. The used to be cream with scratched up and stained plastic panels; they’ve been repainted and the panels brand new.
4B01A64B-1AAD-4887-9FFC-62402E9CA752.jpeg

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1019 Post by Norman » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:20 am

Well, well overdue. The interchange should be moved to the new Flinders Station anyway.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#1020 Post by Eurostar » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:54 pm

Norman wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:20 am
Well, well overdue. The interchange should be moved to the new Flinders Station anyway.
By the looks of the animation there will be a bus stop under the viaduct on Main South Road