News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

#1351 Post by rogue » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:05 am

This is confusing since the Feds have already partnered with the SA Government in delivering the Regional North-South Freight Route along this exact corridor. Works are just about complete.
https://dit.sa.gov.au/infrastructure/ro ... uthfreight

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1352 Post by Waewick » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:21 pm

NTRabbit wrote:I don't see what's going to compel trucks to take a much longer route like that short of banning them from Cross Rd and Port Rush Rd, there's no way that bypass is ever going to be faster than just plowing through the CBD ring route.
Speaking to transport companies it's cheaper due to the lack of stop start

Some already do it to save $$$

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

[email protected]
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1353 Post by [email protected] » Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:38 pm

Trying to find a full copy of the full globe link report study can’t seem to find it on Dti website can any post a link/gateway cheers

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1354 Post by AG » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:53 pm

DIT has put out the concept for the upgrade of the Mt Barker/South Eastern Freeway interchange, which includes a new bridge over the freeway for northbound traffic, converting the existing bridge to southbound traffic and bike lanes and adding traffic signals on the southern side of the bridge.

This location would have been perfect for a diverging diamond interchange given the amount of traffic exiting the freeway southbound to Mt Barker, interested as to why this wasn't considered.

https://dit.sa.gov.au/infrastructure/ro ... de_project

SBD

#1355 Post by SBD » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:21 pm

[email protected] wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:38 pm
Trying to find a full copy of the full globe link report study can’t seem to find it on Dti website can any post a link/gateway cheers
This looks like it: https://ourroadssa.files.wordpress.com/ ... s_case.pdf

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1356 Post by Norman » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:48 am

I've made an updated video of the Flagstaff Road upgrade:
https://youtu.be/rQXweDhZPl0

SouthAussie94
High Rise Poster!

#1357 Post by SouthAussie94 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:26 pm

Labor have just announced that if they're elected at both the State and Federal elections, they will build new on/off ramps at Majors Road for the SEXY.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

ChillyPhilly

#1358 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:31 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:Labor have just announced that if they're elected at both the State and Federal elections, they will build new on/off ramps at Majors Road for the SEXY.
Locals have been crying out for this for years. Good to see action on it at least.

Would have been even nicer if they had pledged an extension of the Seaford line to Aldinga (or even further).
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

[Shuz]

#1359 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:51 pm

I am very surprised by the exorbitant cost of building the on and off ramps though - $120m for what is essentially 4 single lanes of about 300m in length and a couple of traffic lights? Something doesn't seem right. It's gotta be a typo surely. $12m sounds more accurate.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1360 Post by AG » Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:07 pm

No, $120 million does sound more in the ball park. There are some significant earthworks required to accommodate the ramps, relocation of the existing bikeway on the eastern side and the Blacks Road bridge will likely require duplication as part of the project as well.

SouthAussie94
High Rise Poster!

#1361 Post by SouthAussie94 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:09 pm

$120 million does seem a little off.

The Bald Hills Road Interchange at Nairne cost $22.6 million back in 2015. I'd imagine the work required at Majors Rd would be similar to Bald Hills Road, so I can't quite see where $120 million would go.

I would have thought $40 million would be in the rough ballpark
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#1362 Post by Goodsy » Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:31 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:09 pm
$120 million does seem a little off.

The Bald Hills Road Interchange at Nairne cost $22.6 million back in 2015. I'd imagine the work required at Majors Rd would be similar to Bald Hills Road, so I can't quite see where $120 million would go.

I would have thought $40 million would be in the rough ballpark
I think there's a lot more earth works needed at Majors rd compared to Bald Hills

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1363 Post by Norman » Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:00 pm

Flagstaff Road is all done now, there are still speed restrictions in place, but all the lanes are now open.

See the latest video here: https://youtu.be/kmktSSuI2c4

ChillyPhilly

#1364 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:54 pm

A great read about the relocation of the Urrbrae gatehouse.

https://indaily.com.au/news/2023/01/23/ ... -gatehouse
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#1365 Post by rev » Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:48 pm

The transport industry wants something done about the freight corridor through the eastern suburbs after that b double crashed through everything on Hampstead road.

Think we all saw the footage, it obliterated everything in it's path for a good distance. Took a bus shelter along for the ride as well. Luckily nobody was sitting in the shelter when it happened. Luckily it also continued in a fairly straight forward motion and didn't veer into the houses.

This is even more reason why there needs to be a motorway in the east, connecting to the SEF and a link to the NSM, and an east-west link through the inner-north. A proper motorway ring route.
But in proper Adelaide fashion, we will wait until people are killed and injured, and at least 50 years before anything is done.