News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: Roads & Traffic

#1336 Post by Norman » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:52 pm

The Flagstaff Road widening project is nearing completion. Here's the latest drive through video: https://youtu.be/8I5dXZw4KUU

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#1337 Post by neoballmon » Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:50 pm

I drive up and down this part of Brighton road daily, and while I definitely see the need for this intersection to be improved, I feel that I see more cars queued at Wheatland Street further south, and something should be done here (which I did make comment to recently when the department did a survey for brighton road earlier in 2021), but I can see how this may be difficult, being only 100m or so from the Seacombe road Junction.

As for Dunrobin/Wattle, guessing this will just be staggered traffic lights like further up at Oaklands/Whyte. Seems justified since the other end of Dunrobin now has traffic lights too

Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1338 Post by Norman » Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:16 pm

There's an upgrade coming for Majors Road, O'Halloran Hill. Not sure what it entails, but I assume it could be for a full resurfacing or maybe even a complete rebuild.

The road connects Lonsdale Road with Main South Road on top of the hill and is notorious for its bad road surface because of the reactive soils in the area.

alexczarn
Gold-Member ;)

#1339 Post by alexczarn » Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:40 pm

Norman wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:16 pm
There's an upgrade coming for Majors Road, O'Halloran Hill. Not sure what it entails, but I assume it could be for a full resurfacing or maybe even a complete rebuild.

The road connects Lonsdale Road with Main South Road on top of the hill and is notorious for its bad road surface because of the reactive soils in the area.
do we dream of on/off ramps...

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#1340 Post by SouthAussie94 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:11 pm

alexczarn wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:40 pm
Norman wrote:

According to a recent social media post from David Spiers who is the local MP, land has been set aside for on/off ramps but they won't be built until the tunnels are complete (this may be an empty promise with the election coming up).

Upgrades to Majors Rd will include replacement of the road surface, dedicated turning lanes and a shared use path alongside the road.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#1341 Post by NTRabbit » Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:39 pm

SouthAussie94 wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:11 pm
alexczarn wrote:
Norman wrote:

According to a recent social media post from David Spiers who is the local MP, land has been set aside for on/off ramps but they won't be built until the tunnels are complete (this may be an empty promise with the election coming up).

Upgrades to Majors Rd will include replacement of the road surface, dedicated turning lanes and a shared use path alongside the road.
A resurfacing is long overdue, it's actually getting close to dangerous, but disappointed that the much needed ramps to the motorway, and a realignment with Black Rd to turn the sequential T junctions into a normal intersection aren't also included now.

Also not sure what they mean by adding dedicated turning lanes, there's already dedicated turning lanes all along Majors Rd. There's also already bicycle lanes. Sounds like they copy pasted some spiel without actually looking at the road first.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#1342 Post by SouthAussie94 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:49 pm

NTRabbit wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:39 pm
SouthAussie94 wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:11 pm
alexczarn wrote:

A resurfacing is long overdue, it's actually getting close to dangerous, but disappointed that the much needed ramps to the motorway, and a realignment with Black Rd to turn the sequential T junctions into a normal intersection aren't also included now.

Also not sure what they mean by adding dedicated turning lanes, there's already dedicated turning lanes all along Majors Rd. There's also already bicycle lanes. Sounds like they copy pasted some spiel without actually looking at the road first.
My understanding is that the turning lanes will be into the new National Park on the southern side of the road, the new BMX centre and the new Soccer ovals. The shared use path will help to connect these to one another and to the nearby suburbia at Hallett Cove and Flagstaff Hill, and probably in the future to the newly opened Happy Valley Reservoir.

I'm not sure if combining the Majors/Black intersection would have much benefit. The way it's configured means that a car travelling east or west through only needs to stop at one intersection before turning left at the other. Combining the intersections wouldn't reduce the number of times cars need to stop.

If the intersection was configured in reverse (with Majors to the South of Black) then combining would have a benefit as cars travelling east/west would need to turn left stopping on South Rd to turn right.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#1343 Post by NTRabbit » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:45 pm

Just a little bit rich of them to label obviously necessary driveways for the BMX park and National Park as major turning lane upgrades, and the only way it connects to the reservoir in future is if they're willing to pay for a shared use overpass over South Rd to the new corner gate.
SouthAussie94 wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:49 pm
I'm not sure if combining the Majors/Black intersection would have much benefit. The way it's configured means that a car travelling east or west through only needs to stop at one intersection before turning left at the other.
In practise it doesn't work like that, thanks to the timing of the lights. Unless you're the first car in the left most lane and you floor it on the green, you will get stopped in the turning lane by traffic with a green light to turn off South Rd onto Majors/Black - and that light sequence and personal decision making is the cause of the often renewed flowers against the stobie pole opposite Black Rd.

Granted that for "accounting" reasons no intersection upgrade under this government is cheap, but since there's no property to demolish nor land to acquire, applying the Springbank Rd solution there should be quite easy and affordable.

ralmin
Gold-Member ;)

#1344 Post by ralmin » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:09 pm

While I wouldn't say no to a shared use overpass at Majors/Black, I can't see a scenario where that would be funded. The best we're likely to get is a separate button to activate "green person" and "green bike" lights.

My personal preference for a grade separation of a shared use path is where the Coast to Vines Rail Trail crosses Main South Road at the intersection of Honeypot Road and Main South Road in Hackham / Huntfield Heights. The pedestrian crossings there require two separate activations to cross both Main South Road and Honeypot Road, as there is no diagonal crossing on the south side. Even in lieu of proper grade separation (underpass or overpass), at least they could provide a "green bike" light for the Coast to Vines trail to cross Main South diagonally.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#1345 Post by neoballmon » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:25 pm

Norman wrote:There's an upgrade coming for Majors Road, O'Halloran Hill. Not sure what it entails, but I assume it could be for a full resurfacing or maybe even a complete rebuild.

As previously mentioned it includes turning lanes for the new facilities and Adams Road I would hope.

Majors road will be used more by trucks from the Boral (I believe) quarry. They've just finished constructing a road that goes up the hill and joins at the intersection of Lonsdale/Majors to keep these trucks off Brighton Road and onto South Road, most likely to take advantage of the future tunnels

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#1346 Post by SouthAussie94 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:08 pm

neoballmon wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:25 pm
Norman wrote:There's an upgrade coming for Majors Road, O'Halloran Hill. Not sure what it entails, but I assume it could be for a full resurfacing or maybe even a complete rebuild.

As previously mentioned it includes turning lanes for the new facilities and Adams Road I would hope.

Majors road will be used more by trucks from the Boral (I believe) quarry. They've just finished constructing a road that goes up the hill and joins at the intersection of Lonsdale/Majors to keep these trucks off Brighton Road and onto South Road, most likely to take advantage of the future tunnels

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk
According to a social media post from David Spiers, an upgrade of the Adams/Majors Road intersection is part of the second stage and is undergoing planning (ie: it might happen, it might not)

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1347 Post by Norman » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:43 am

Flagstaff Road has had a traffic switch to use the newly constructed lanes, while the old lanes are getting resurfaced.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1348 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:15 pm

I received a letter from David Pisoni (to all his constituents) re: the 'Marshall Liberal Government's plan to reduce truck traffic on Cross Road'.

Basically it details that there'll be a planning study for a heavy vehicle road bypass for freight (east of the Hills) and that the Truro Bypass is a key part of it.

It lists a new planning study of Cross Road, 'including the Waite Road intersection'.

Not much substance other than this.

No mention of rail being part of the plan, of course. This is the worst part.

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1349 Post by Waewick » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:23 pm

Be curious to know about the Truro bypass, doesn't seem a lot of money given the terrain.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#1350 Post by NTRabbit » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:53 am

I don't see what's going to compel trucks to take a much longer route like that short of banning them from Cross Rd and Port Rush Rd, there's no way that bypass is ever going to be faster than just plowing through the CBD ring route.